Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Travel Thread

UMike

Captain Klutz
Reactions
Was thinking there'd be some type of thread here dedicated to Travelling here or Overseas. No..... Ok I'll start one.

Done most of my travelling Solo. Mainly due to my un-planned high energy adventure style.

Getting older now and am starting to free up my time so interested in other people's ideas and experiences.

Australia. All around the East coast.
Higlights"
Almost a year in Mt Isa
4 odd years Gold coast hinterland.
Many hunting trips North NSW to Roma including Gold Coast hinterland.
MotorBiking Tassie 4 times.

World wide all my travel has been before my 30s
Germany,
Fiji
Europe (for 4mths Back packing)
2+ years in total - Mainly Thailand but also Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malasia and Bali just prior to 30.
Just recently about a month in Vietnam.

As you can see I still have alot of places to go.

Thailand is still the Go To place as I (The Wife) have land and my Motor Bike there.
SriLankan, New Zealand are destinations for a implusive next day trip. Another Trip to Europe is being roughly planned.... One day when I actually retire.

Also Keen to do a massive road trip in the States. Unfortunately all my American friends are getting to old to Ride with me.

How about you guys?

just had a mate do a ride. I'm sure he'll not mind me putting up a sketch:

"2 days of heavy rain in the foothills then perfect weather in the high country - bus from Delhi to Dharamsala then motorcycle - good old Indian Enfields - to Srinigar, Leh, Rishikesh and bus back to Delhi - lots of towns in between - about 2K klm over 18 days. Included some of the most dangerous roads and the highest road in the world - the Khardungla Pass near Leh - 18,000 ft. ...As I said - very tough going - lucky to get away with it.".
we went to SAf 50 years ago this month. Jeffries Bay for a wave, and a few adventures since...

It's bloody cold in Norway ATM, Mrs Trawler isn't a fan of cold weather, so if we don't get to see the Northern lights, I will get it in the ear.
Trondheim, Norway.

20231007_095741.jpg

just had a mate do a ride. I'm sure he'll not mind me putting up a sketch:

"2 days of heavy rain in the foothills then perfect weather in the high country - bus from Delhi to Dharamsala then motorcycle - good old Indian Enfields - to Srinigar, Leh, Rishikesh and bus back to Delhi - lots of towns in between - about 2K klm over 18 days. Included some of the most dangerous roads and the highest road in the world - the Khardungla Pass near Leh - 18,000 ft. ...As I said - very tough going - lucky to get away with it.".
we went to SAf 50 years ago this month. Jeffries Bay for a wave, and a few adventures since...
Yea.... India just seems too tough for me. Sounds like he'd have great views though.

Yea.... India just seems too tough for me. Sounds like he'd have great views though.

The Taj inspired me to travel from the age of about 7. There was a big poster on the wall of my Grade 2 class room and I thought, wow, I must go there. It's a pain in the arse to get to but I highly recommend it. Don't go on a Friday, like I did the first time...

68. India - Agra - The Taj Mahal .JPG

A bit of a tangent. But why not ?
How about walking across 1700 klms of Australian deserts with a string of camels ?

Not your average trip. Great story though.

The woman who walked alone across the desert: what Robyn Davidson learned by risking everything

In her 20s, Davidson trekked 1,700 miles through the Australian wilderness. This led to the bestselling book Tracks and global fame. Half a century later she has written about what motivated her – including the tragic early death of her mother

I like how they used to leave the head on so you knew it wasn't a rat. :oops:

The taste didn't do it for me.

My wife managed a travel company in Peru. Whenever we went to the Cuzco office the staff would do a 'special' lunch and bring in guinea pigs for us. It was a big deal for them. I avoided those luncheons like the plague. They are much better pets than protein.

Some fifty years ago i spent a week in Lüderitz, then South West Africa, now Namibia, over Christmas. Wasn't planned and a rather solitary time. How did I get there?

Sept 1973, two mates went to S Africa, looking for the big money in the mines. I tagged along. We'd bought Kangaroo route tix, one way $400 to London, with a stopover and open for 1 year. Flew to Perth then in a 707 to Mauritius and on to Jo'burg. Bought a car, a Holden station wagon and drove to Cape Town to see another friend and his partner. Then up the coast to J Bay, surfed for a few days, and onward. Port Elizabeth. the Transkei, on to Durban, back to Jo'burg and across to Botswana. Wet season was coming so Gaberone to Francistown on Rhodesian Railways, and hitched to Serowe-Pikwe, a mining town in the middle of nowhere. Qld with elephants. No jobs, so back we went, through the Karoo, back to Cape Town. Had a sidetrip to Elands Bay, looking for surf but got chased out of town at the Sat night club event. The locals punched up the girls were were chatting up.... draai trekkers

There was an oil rig offshore near PE so I hitched up, cut my hair and got a job as a roughneck. Two weeks on, 12 hr shifts, then a week off. One fortnight on, including a storm where the top to bottom swells were 60 ft as measured on the caissons, the the well was finished, not a duster but gas and not commercial. And the next spud was in SW. Towed to Cape Town and chopper to shore.

Flew to Lüderitz early Dec for another tour. And crew change helicopter hit a seagull to be grounded waiting for new window. Hitch ended and took the crewboat to shore, some 8 hours. Awaiting at airport for trip to Cape Town was a charter plane with 16 seats. And we were 17. Being the new boy, the local hire, they bumped me.

Some fifty years ago i spent a week in Lüderitz, then South West Africa, now Namibia, over Christmas. Wasn't planned and a rather solitary time. How did I get there?

Sept 1973, two mates went to S Africa, looking for the big money in the mines. I tagged along. We'd bought Kangaroo route tix, one way $400 to London, with a stopover and open for 1 year. Flew to Perth then in a 707 to Mauritius and on to Jo'burg. Bought a car, a Holden station wagon and drove to Cape Town to see another friend and his partner. Then up the coast to J Bay, surfed for a few days, and onward. Port Elizabeth. the Transkei, on to Durban, back to Jo'burg and across to Botswana. Wet season was coming so Gaberone to Francistown on Rhodesian Railways, and hitched to Serowe-Pikwe, a mining town in the middle of nowhere. Qld with elephants. No jobs, so back we went, through the Karoo, back to Cape Town. Had a sidetrip to Elands Bay, looking for surf but got chased out of town at the Sat night club event. The locals punched up the girls were were chatting up.... draai trekkers

There was an oil rig offshore near PE so I hitched up, cut my hair and got a job as a roughneck. Two weeks on, 12 hr shifts, then a week off. One fortnight on, including a storm where the top to bottom swells were 60 ft as measured on the caissons, the the well was finished, not a duster but gas and not commercial. And the next spud was in SW. Towed to Cape Town and chopper to shore.

Flew to Lüderitz early Dec for another tour. And crew change helicopter hit a seagull to be grounded waiting for new window. Hitch ended and took the crewboat to shore, some 8 hours. Awaiting at airport for trip to Cape Town was a charter plane with 16 seats. And we were 17. Being the new boy, the local hire, they bumped me.
Great trip Dona! I did overland in a hire car from Cape Town to Durban. Stayed in East London on the way and found the Kennaway Hotel. Little did I know I had a hotel, a ship and a castle named after me. Missed J Bay unfortunately. Criminal really.

Last edited: