Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Tomorrow's trading on the ASX?

Market Index - Wednesday Morning Wrap

ASX 200 futures are trading 4 points lower, down -0.05% as of 8:30 am AEST.

US stocks ended higher after a choppy overnight session as softer-than-expected labour market data pushed bond yields lower, small caps sold off sharply on growth concerns, several commodities including gold and oil tumbled, Alphabet and Google are slashing jobs in their cloud businesses.
Let's dive in.

Market Index - Wednesday Evening Wrap

The S&P/ASX 200 closed 31.9 points higher, up 0.41%.

Mining and energy stocks were hit hard again today as the prices of several key commodities including copper, nickel, lithium, uranium, gold, silver, and crude oil fell (basically everything!).
The benchmark S&P/ASX 200 did eke out a modest gain, though, roughly the same as yesterday's loss. Up today were mostly defensive stocks in sectors like Communication Services, Healthcare, and Consumer Staples.
Elsewhere, falling bond yields helped interest rate sensitive sectors like Real Estate and Consumer Discretionary.
But by far and away the biggest stories (and the biggest falls) were in Resources stocks 😭...so...
Let's dive in!

Market Index - Thursday Morning Wrap

ASX 200 futures are trading 42 points higher, up 0.54% as of 8:30 am AEST.

Two of the three major US benchmarks notched all-time highs on the back of soaring megacap tech stocks and easing bond yields, Nvidia surpassed Apple to become the world's second most valuable company, several commodities including gold and copper bounced after Wednesday's selloff, MinRes set to sell 49% of its Onslow Iron haul road and BNPL companies will soon be regulated as consumer credit.
Let's dive in.

Market Index - Thursday Evening Wrap

The S&P/ASX 200 closed 52.8 points higher, up 0.68%.

Two gains in a row and four out of the last five now for Aussie stocks. Before that, though, we were eight out of ten down – so let's not get too excited, and let's also hope the recent extreme volatility is coming to an end.
It could end with a record high, after all, plenty of our overseas counterparts are doing it. Why can't we? What's our major malfunction? πŸ€”
I'll let you ponder that one for a while, but there weren't too many major malfunctions in the local bourse today as each of the major sectors rose.
Gold bounced back, and Healthcare continues its, um, healthy run. Energy and resources stocks were better today – but hardly lit the market on fire.
Let's dive in!

Market Index - Friday Morning Wrap

ASX 200 futures are trading 22 points higher, up 0.18% as of 8:30 am AEST.

The S&P 500 and Nasdaq finished around breakeven as Nvidia ticked back below US$3 trillion market cap, the European Central Bank cut interest rates for the first time in almost five years and commodity prices continue to tick higher after recent drawdowns.
Let's dive in.

Market Index - Friday Evening Wrap

The S&P/ASX 200 closed 38.2 points higher, up 0.49%.

A strong performance on the local bourse today with all but one sector rising (and that one didn't fall by very much).
Gold stocks led the charge, but Consumer Stocks also chipped in. Resources bounced with the iron ore majors, but lithium was again left behind.
We're now less than 0.7% from tipping a new record high – a major relief for investors given May's uncertainty.
Will we do it next week? And could we see an 8 in front of the S&P/ASX 200...
Let's dive in!

i was too busy looking to buy when i was down there ( and almost any time i am negative in the monthly comp. as well )
That strategy can work too, divs. When no one wants to buy at the bottom, it's difficult to take action...lonely place to be when we're the minority....feeling so alone....

Having said that, if the market is down trending, I'll feel lonelier by the day if I get caught buying too early. The strong and brave won't be frazzled, but it does this little chicken no good.

That strategy can work too, divs. When no one wants to buy at the bottom, it's difficult to take action...lonely place to be when we're the minority....feeling so alone....

Having said that, if the market is down trending, I'll feel lonelier by the day if I get caught buying too early. The strong and brave won't be frazzled, but it does this little chicken no good.
i normally buy small ( ish ) parcels and on a good day keep enough reserve cash for a second buy ( even the same day ) if the slide continues

i aim for an 'acceptable' price rather than the bottom ( or trend top )

Don't know what's in store for US tonight, BossMan. Hard to predict. The market it seems....is jittery, maybe it's me?
jittery? because some sectors are lifting but not all?

Anyhow, nice to see daily movements are 1 per cent or less...