Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The Price of Liberty

wayneL

'Abba Shboq Lhon'
Reactions
It's still Independence Day in the US, as I write. Being a former resident, it always gives me pause to reflect on the sacrifices of those who have fought for liberty for us in the West...

...and my apoplectic rage for those who are attempting to take that away in the current day.

“Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons in the revolutionary army, another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the revolutionary war.
They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.
What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners, men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.
Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.
Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.
Vandals or soldiers or both, looted the properties of Ellery, Clymer, Hall, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.
At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. The owner quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.
Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.
John Hart was driven from his wife’s bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart. Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.
Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: ‘For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.’”

Michael W Smith

It's still Independence Day in the US, as I write. Being a former resident, it always gives me pause to reflect on the sacrifices of those who have fought for liberty for us in the West...

...and my apoplectic rage for those who are attempting to take that away in the current day.

“Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons in the revolutionary army, another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the revolutionary war.
They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.
What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners, men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.
Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.
Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.
Vandals or soldiers or both, looted the properties of Ellery, Clymer, Hall, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.
At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. The owner quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.
Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.
John Hart was driven from his wife’s bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart. Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.
Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: ‘For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.’”

Michael W Smith
Wayne a brilliant piece. Just shows how little we were taught at school. even though we did study the Civil War in America. But never read anything like this, though.

Wayne a brilliant piece. Just shows how little we were taught at school. even though we did study the Civil War in America. But never read anything like this, though.
I went to school in the US. It was all about The Boston Tea Party, Valley Forge and other battles, Washington, Paul Revere, the Declaration of Independence etc, but nothing about this.

It's as much of a shock to me ?

I went to school in the US. It was all about The Boston Tea Party, Valley Forge and other battles, Washington, Paul Revere, the Declaration of Independence etc, but nothing about this.

It's as much of a shock to me ?
Maybe even today, the truth would be too strong to talk and teach about.

Just had to google this a bit because "plantation owner" is the usual code for slaver and yep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Braxton slaver of at least 165 humans, probably more. His ships that were swept into the sea as you put it, were privateers funded by him and his debts were mostly nothing to do with the Revolution.

Did not die in rags, died in his house survived by his wife.

FWIW, at least 34 of the signatories were slavers https://illinoisanswers.org/2019/09...n-of-independence-painting-were-slaveholders/

definitely not a pov, but rather retired happily wealthy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Nelson_Jr. another slaver of 400 humans. Definitely didn't die bankrupt, died at his sons home.

John Hart was driven from his wife’s bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart.

Another slaver of 4 humans.

His wife died with John at her side in late 1776, https://www.dsdi1776.com/signer/john-hart/ John died painfully of kidney stones 2 years later, not of exhaustion or a broken heart. I doubt his children vanished either.

don't you feel bad for posting this garbage without verifying it @wayneL or at least a bit duped for your credulity?

Just had to google this a bit because "plantation owner" is the usual code for slaver and yep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Braxton slaver of at least 165 humans, probably more. His ships that were swept into the sea as you put it, were privateers funded by him and his debts were mostly nothing to do with the Revolution.

Did not die in rags, died in his house survived by his wife.

FWIW, at least 34 of the signatories were slavers https://illinoisanswers.org/2019/09...n-of-independence-painting-were-slaveholders/

definitely not a pov, but rather retired happily wealthy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Nelson_Jr. another slaver of 400 humans. Definitely didn't die bankrupt, died at his sons home.

Another slaver of 4 humans.

His wife died with John at her side in late 1776, https://www.dsdi1776.com/signer/john-hart/ John died painfully of kidney stones 2 years later, not of exhaustion or a broken heart. I doubt his children vanished either.

don't you feel bad for posting this garbage without verifying it @wayneL or at least a bit duped for your credulity?
someone trafficked my forebears. I've managed to get over it.

I quite enjoying
Rebel Yell: The Violence, Passion, and Redemption of Stonewall Jackson.
by S C Gynne .

It brought a depth to elements of the American Civil War that escape the usual simplistic narratives

It's a shame the spirit of my OP got derailed by our friendly neighbourhood curmudgeon above. Haven't got much good to say about that fellow, so will leave it there.

Not withstanding any inaccuracies, there is an undeniable price for liberty, a cost which I fear may have to be paid all over again in the near future.