Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Sentencing in Australia is a disgrace

This is a disgrace. The judge should go to jail for six months.
I really can't understand why ambulance and paramedics personnel are attacked when they attend events to help.
Furious ambulance workers protest decision to NOT jail two women who brutally bashed an elderly paramedic by graffiting their own vehicles as the victim says he is 'disgusted by the outcome'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ria-protest-court-decision.html#ixzz5FbBEtWqF

They should have gone to gaol for a year at least.

Pathetic.

Pathetic.

The theory.......

"Victorian laws introduced in 2014 demand a mandatory minimum jail term of six months for anyone who intentionally injures an emergency worker, unless there are special circumstances. "

But not the weak judicial practise.

(My bolds)

If they'd assaulted a copper they would've had the book thrown at them.

But because it was a paramedic they got off.

So that's the disgrace right there.

The theory.......

"Victorian laws introduced in 2014 demand a mandatory minimum jail term of six months for anyone who intentionally injures an emergency worker, unless there are special circumstances. "

But not the weak judicial practise.

(My bolds)

QLD has zero tolerance for assaults on emergency workers. The Police don't need it here, they'll just bash the crap out of you in the Gold Coast watch house carpark lol.

Saw an Ambulance driver.driving with his iPhone in one hand, earphones in and doing whatever on it the other day. If he had of rear ended me I might have been facing those mandatory sentencing laws!

If they'd assaulted a copper they would've had the book thrown at them.
Regretably, that's not the case.

https://www.3aw.com.au/police-union...g-who-brutally-bashed-police-woman-walk-free/

The Police Association has slammed the courts for allowing an ice-addicted thug to walk free on a community corrections order, after bashing a female police officer.

As reported in the Herald Sun, a 29-year-old Senior Constable has undergone reconstructive surgery and is unable to return to the force following the attack in April.

The officer was making an arrest in Glenroy when she was repeatedly hit in the face, the impact of the blows causing her teeth to puncture her lip.

Charges were dropped against Ahmed El Lababidi, 26, after it was argued there were exceptional circumstances in his case, due to mental illness.

Sergeant Wayne Gatt told Tony Jones his members are at a loss at the light sentencing being handed out by the courts.

“We just don’t get it Tony,” he said.

“We see this time and time again, we see mental illness used as an excuse.

“If we allow them to do this to us we’re effectively green lighting crime in Victoria.”

(my bolds)

Thanks for that. It's an exception to what I see around here in West Sydney. You only have to wobble your hands within 2 feet of a copper and you're done for resisting arrest.
Did not know that. Good to see that type of response.

Obviously if you made a mandatory law you would make sure there were no loopholes.
The person who drafted the law originally needs to be demoted.

Pathetic.

Think of the inmates

Greg GoldsTriple Zero Tolerance
17 hrs ·

amanda.jpg

*This is Amanda Warren outside the County Court in Victoria.
*Amanda was found guilty of assaulting two paramedics whilst they were busy treating a patient..
*Amanda appealed her Mandatory minimum sentence imposed by the courts when found guilty of the crime.
*Amanda had her sentence overturned yesterday in a County Court in Victoria yesterday by Judge Barbara Cotterell.
*Amanda doesn't look very remorseful or sorry for the vicious assault on two of my paramedic colleagues.

I could be mistaken, but I rarely speak up unless I firmly believe what I say is correct... I'll just leave this here for you all to ponder over. — with Amanda Warren.

Child sex abuse case leaves emotional Ray Hadley struggling to speak
“How can you get a benefit for pleading guilty, when the only reason you pleaded guilty was because he couldn’t have beaten the rap? There was recorded evidence of his admission,” Hadley shouted on air. He also alleged that the perpetrator of the abuse had previously been jailed for offences against other young children.
https://startsat60.com/news/crime/child-sexual-abuse-case-emotional-ray-hadley-speechless-2gb

Queensland to introduce more severe criminal penalties for young offenders in wake of Emma Lovell's stabbing at North Lakes​

But still there are bleeding hearts who say the perpetrators need the help., not the victims.

Queensland to introduce more severe criminal penalties for young offenders in wake of Emma Lovell's stabbing at North Lakes​

But still there are bleeding hearts who say the perpetrators need the help., not the victims.

Afternoon Sir R It is to be hoped that the criminal justice system that is prevalent in our houses of detention will mete out the appropriate corporal punishment that these oxygen thieves deserve.

Some years ago we visited the now defunct Fremantle Prison as visitors. Our guide was a former guest of the State, there for some years. When we got to the creton, Beirnes cells (he had 3).,he told us how the internal system dealt with him, an evil child murder. A piece of electrical conduct and a length of Iowa barb wire. I leave the rest up to your imagination.

I feel that those supposedly wise people who sit elevated in a court room should be brought to account for sub-standard and lenient sentences being handed down. Who would want to be a police officer when a slap on the wrist is more so than not given out to the perpetrators

I feel that those supposedly wise people who sit elevated in a court room should be brought to account for sub-standard and lenient sentences being handed down. Who would want to be a police officer when a slap on the wrist is more so than not given out to the perpetrators
As a practical observation, consider safety in a workplace (or anywhere similar - eg a retail shop with customers inside).

If the PCBU* knows, or ought to know, that a situation exists which, had luck been different, could have injured or killed someone then they'll have the proverbial book thrown at them if they don't take proper measures, immediately, to remove that danger. That means proper procedures or modifications signed off by someone professionally competent to do so not just random guesses or improvised measures.

*PCBU = Person Conducting a Business Undertaking. That's the legal term for it.

Should the same approach not apply to the courts?

If someone's done something which shows them to be a danger, eg they've threatened someone with a knife, then should there not be an onus placed on the judge to obtain evidence, from a suitably qualified person, that they have in fact been rehabilitated before any release is considered?

There's a double standard here is there not? We've got judges taking a rather laid back approach that they themselves would punish harshly if anyone else took the same attitude and it ended up killing someone. :2twocents

Spot on @Smurf1976 one of the offenders apparently had stabbed someone one year earlier, so it isn't as though he has changed his behaviour. I wonder how long he will get this time?

One of the two teens accused of the murder of Brisbane mum Emma Lovell stabbed another man in a separate home invasion last year, it has been revealed.

As a practical observation, consider safety in a workplace (or anywhere similar - eg a retail shop with customers inside).

If the PCBU* knows, or ought to know, that a situation exists which, had luck been different, could have injured or killed someone then they'll have the proverbial book thrown at them if they don't take proper measures, immediately, to remove that danger. That means proper procedures or modifications signed off by someone professionally competent to do so not just random guesses or improvised measures.

*PCBU = Person Conducting a Business Undertaking. That's the legal term for it.

Should the same approach not apply to the courts?

If someone's done something which shows them to be a danger, eg they've threatened someone with a knife, then should there not be an onus placed on the judge to obtain evidence, from a suitably qualified person, that they have in fact been rehabilitated before any release is considered?

There's a double standard here is there not? We've got judges taking a rather laid back approach that they themselves would punish harshly if anyone else took the same attitude and it ended up killing someone. :2twocents
Perhaps if a judges family was impacted with what happed to the Qld family the resulting action would NOT be a slap on the wrist or a lenient sentence