Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Searching Aussie Stock Forums

To Clarify my position - My concern is not with the fact that different sites are awkard to navigate, (there are still areas within ASF that I find difficult) - my concern was with the introductory post....

As I said in my post #11, the introductory post was, "Not a Normal Introduction IMO"..... Take it or Leave it - that's my opinion.....

A Normal Introductory Post might be where a Newbie 'introduces themselves' and offers up some idea of who the newbie is, and what their aspirations are, what their knowledge base is, what stocks interest them, etc. etc... not just dive in and ask what appears to be a very mechanical question..... No wonder I'm cautious.....

You might use the initial posts in my 3 DrB Forums as an example, and from every other post I've made, EVERYBODY was able to gauge my Blunt & Direct attitides, my approach to trading, my goals, my intentions to help newbies, my offer to provide Free Educational Examples & advice....
The Duck & Rederob, and a few others jumped on me when I first lobbed here, that was their perogative, they tried to shoot me down, they lost.....!

Moving on......

DrB.
Good stuff DrB i'm on your side.

A company ARE recently mentioned by @noirua, @qldfrog and myself prompted me to post this which might help others in the future.

I thought this might be handy for many searching for certain stocks in Aussie Stock Forum. I have found the following handy at times for difficult searches for Companies with too many results.

1st - The normal way or fast way
* Go to SEARCH, put in ASX Code - ARE
* Tick Search Titles only Box
* Press Search

Screenshot 2024-01-11 083351.jpg

This brings up 22 pages with 20 results on each page, WHAT! :eek: 440 titles to search through to find the company ARE , way too many!

Let's fine tune it even better

Go to SEARCH - * Go to ADVANCED SEARCH
Go to SEARCH THREADS Tab
* KEYWORDS: Insert ASX Code - ARE
Tick Search Titles only Box
Scroll down to Search in Forums
Select Stocks 0 - H then press Search
The result will bring up (as in this case) only 1 result - ARE - saves time! See below!

I hope this helps in future Searches :)

Screenshot 2024-01-11 090157.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-11 091457.jpg

It can be tricky searching for ASX codes that are also common words, such as ARE, CAN, HAS and FAR. @debtfree has posted a very useful approach to searching for these ASX codes above, but another way is simply to search for a word in the company name rather than the ASX code. For example, when searching for ARE, perhaps just search for "Argonaut" instead and check the "Search Titles Only" box.

don't blame me i am going blind and the search engine doesn't like me either , i only went through 58 pages

You have to remember to check the "Search Titles Only" box before clicking "Search". If you search for "MGR" and check the "Search Titles Only" box you only get one search result returned, and that's this thread.

You have to remember to check the "Search Titles Only" box before clicking "Search". If you search for "MGR" and check the "Search Titles Only" box you only get one search result returned, and that's this thread.
i do that and it rarely makes a difference

i enter MGR - Mirvac Group and the outcome is worse the engine focuses on 'Group '

the search engine catches some titles but ignores others

on a good day i can search 2 or 3 ages in the appropriate grouping and spot it that way

but don't worry i don't exist on some government data-bases ( at least not in Australia .. maybe i am still in the UK or Hong Kong )

a different example using the Stockland Group ( and the title filter )

it just has days it doesn't like my browser

Attachments

• download (5).jpg
    download (5).jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 4
Search "ASX" on title search, only 36 pages of results. 🙀

I often ponder about the possible joys of having a stock ticker tick box, right next to the thread title search tick box.
One is allowed to dream. 🦞🍻

@divs4ever only 1 page with 3 entries came up searching "Mirvac" ?

Search "ASX" on title search, only 36 pages of results. 🙀

I often ponder about the possible joys of having a stock ticker tick box, right next to the thread title search tick box.
One is allowed to dream. 🦞🍻

@divs4ever only 1 page with 3 entries came up searching "Mirvac" ?

One result for ASX Limited.

screenshot-www.aussiestockforums.com-2024.02.10-10_46_20.jpg

Like any search engine, if you don't get the results you want the first time, refine your search and try again.

I guess "Limited" is the key word here. I will try adding that to my searches for tickers from now on.
It makes sense, as nearly all are Limited being publicly listed.
Thanks Joe.

My usual strategy is: if the ASX code is unique, I search for that. if the ASX code shows up in too many thread titles, I try either the company name (or part of it such as a unique word in the name) or a combination of the ASX code and company name. It almost never takes more than two searches to get the results I want.

Last edited:
I had a tax query and my accountant doesn't bulk bill. I spent the best part of an hour trying to find an answer on my broker's website and was about to go to the ATO site when I decided to do a search through "Search" here on ASF.

I found an answer which I was able to confirm was still valid for 2024 on the ATO site.

Search is Gold on ASF.

gg