Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Pray for a Republican win next Tuesday

chops_a_must said:
Jimmy Carter!? He's history's greatest monster!
chops - why would you say that?
lets put it this way - Jimmy Carter was the antithesis of Bush.
By a country MILE he was the softest US president ever!!
He tried to push human rights, tried to ramp up the american conscience on all this stuff. Sure history seems to have branded him as naive, even getting himself tied in giant ethical knots, even foolish praps - but "he tried".
I saw Jimmy Carter on TV recently shaking hands with "Nicaragua's former Marxist guerrilla leader Daniel Ortega" - No-one can accuse him of being red-necked at least.

Anyway for what it's worth , I agree with anon that if Khomeini had probs with the States under Carter, then you'd have to say he'd have MAJOR problems these days.
Sorry chops, but I'd put London to a brick that you were still watching playschool when Jimmy Carter was in power.

2020hindsight said:
chops - why would you say that?
lets put it this way - Jimmy Carter was the antithesis of Bush.
He tried to push human rights, tried to ramp up the american conscience on all this stuff. Sure history seems to have branded him as naive, even getting himself tied in giant ethical knots, even foolish praps - but "he tried".
I saw Jimmy Carter on TV recently shaking hands with "Nicaragua's former Marxist guerrilla leader Daniel Ortega" - No-one can accuse him of being red-necked at least.

Anyway for what it's worth , I agree with anon that if Khomeini had probs with the States under Carter, then you'd have to say he'd have MAJOR problems these days.
Sorry chops, but I'd put London to a brick that you were still watching playschool when Jimmy Carter was in power.
-_-
1. Simpsons quote. -Malaise Forever- speech.
2. I love Jimmy carter
3. Well, you'd lose everything, because I wasn't born then, but know my history.

chops_a_must said:
-2. I love Jimmy carter
ahh ;) - thanks
I'm STARTING to understand that your posts have a healthy element of sarcasm - just that you hide it and I get confused ;)

BTW, we will never agree on the question of "govt assistance for bush" - -
and I'm not talking about George W lol (or maybe I am? lol - I dont know what you think here ?)

but at least we "sorta" agree on Jimmy Carter being a softie. I mean - not that he achieved as much as Reagan. History is tough on US presidents - especially those that leave the place more messed up that when they arrived ;) (wonder what they'll say about GW Bush in 10 years? - assuming any of us live that long lol)

BTW sorry if I come across as a self opinionated old fart. I got Guatanamo confused with Guatamala - lol - but I'm blaming Google - I knew it was something to do with the song about "the girl from Guantanamo" - as in Guantanamera, etcetc, but when spellcheck said "you mean Guatamala?" I clicked yes. ;) - never mind , it's fun hiding your own easter eggs ;)
PS I failed Spanish at school - in 1921 lol.

I think Jimmy Carter is a prime example of why the most genuine, sincere, intelligent and honest people do not make the best leaders, or politicians.

History will prove to be incredibly harsh on both George Dubbya, and Howard.

chops_a_must said:
I think Jimmy Carter is a prime example of why the most genuine, sincere, intelligent and honest people do not make the best leaders, or politicians. History will prove to be incredibly harsh on both George Dubbya, and Howard.

mm I was gonna be cheeky and ask "was your mum watching playschool when JC was in power ( Jimmy that is) - " lol
But I withdraw that unconditionally ;) thanks

PS - he scored zilch for political savvy. Would we be better off if he'd never been? or if he'd stayed perhaps? ahhh - that's where Robert Frost would answer...
" I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence -
two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the one less travelled by -
and that has made all the difference ;)"

Looks like you just won London ;) - by a technicality lol. - make sure you do something about the TIDAL gates at the mouth of the Thames - they'll be overtopped before you know it !! :(

2020hindsight said:
PS - he scored zilch for political savvy. Would we be better off if he'd never been? or if he'd stayed perhaps? ahhh - that's where Robert Frost would answer...
" I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence -
two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the one less travelled by -
and that has made all the difference ;)"
Lol!

I think we have benefitted from him. Maybe a little bit ahead of his time (or behind for that matter), too idealistic and placed importance on non-material things when society was changing to the opposite. He seems to be a very important voice diplomatically now, and well respected to boot. Personally, I really enjoy listening to him speak, he's very eloquent.

And Robert Frost has to be one of the most boring poets I've ever read/ studied/ whatever.

I am picking apples...
I am still picking apples.

chops_a_must said:
And Robert Frost has to be one of the most boring poets I've ever read/ studied/ whatever. I am picking apples...I am still picking apples.
Funny, lol - Dukey and I were just commenting about his influence with Dylan ;)
The poet's thread is there for you to post your idea of a good one ;)