Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

NVDA - NVIDIA Corp (NASDAQ)

(Bloomberg) – Two Nvidia directors sold about $US180 million ($274.2 million) in shares of the chipmaker in recent days, becoming the latest insiders to cash in as the stock continues to push deeper into record territory.

Tench Coxe, a former managing director at venture capital firm Sutter Hill Ventures who has been on Nvidia’s board since 1993, sold 200,000 shares on March 5 at $US850.03 to $US852.50, according to a filing, Coxe still holds more than 3.7 million shares.

Mark Stevens, a director since 2008, sold 12,000 shares on March 4 at $US852.06 to $US855.02.

Nvidia closed at another record on Wednesday as it extended its win streak to a fifth day, and now boasts a market value of $US2.2 trillion, trailing only Microsoft Corp. and Apple in the S&P 500 Index.

Last month, other directors unloaded 99,000 shares after Nvidia’s blowout earnings report.

Nvidia chief executive Jensen Huang unveiled new chips aimed at extending his company’s dominance of artificial intelligence computing, a position that’s already made it the world’s third most valuable business.

A new processor design called Blackwell is multiple times faster at handling the models that underpin AI, the company said at its annual developer conference in San Jose, California. That includes the process of developing the technology – a stage known as training – and the running of it, which is called inference.

The Blackwell chips, which are made up of 208 billion transistors, will be the basis of new computers and other products being deployed by the world’s largest data centre operators – a roster that includes Amazon, Microsoft, Alphabet’s Google and Oracle.

Nvidia results coming on 22 May from the USA

Screenshot_20240513-103110_Outlook.jpg

TSMC is Nvidia’s sole manufacturer for the most advanced training chips.

And, ccording to U.S Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, “Right now, the United States buys 92% of its leading edge chips from TSMC in Taiwan.”

1715832455566.png

I'm not convinced about this "flag", but nonetheless NVDA seems to be bolting although on less than exciting volume.

gg

Just an update on $NVDA for the night and early morning owls on ASF.

NVDA got close to all time highs on Thursday but retreated the following day to go in to the weekend at about $929 with little change aftermarket.

Some say it will retreat to $850, others it will bound through the $870's to crack $1000. Earnings are due in two days time after the market closes and is tipped to be humungous as my grandchildren would say. What is unknown is the market's reaction to humungous.

Some expect a share price split 1/4 - 1/6 touted, but history says this does not usually occurr close to earnings report as it is a board/strategic decision separate from earnings. Anyways that is what the experts reckon.

On with the dance.

gg

NVDA being 6.37% of NDX by weight has a huge say in where markets go in next day or so depending on earnings reaction . It's a raffle

NVIDIA
Earnings expected on 2024-05-22 in the afterhours. Expected move: ∞% (+/- $66.73)

ScreenShot708.jpg

Last edited:
Nvidia reported its latest quarterly results after New York’s closing bell, and they topped expectations.

Second-quarter revenue will be about $US28 billion ($42.3 billion), the company said. Analysts on average had predicted $US26.8 billion, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

The company also said it will split its stock 10-for-1 next month. It also lifted its dividend.

Nvidia’s 10-for-1 stock split confirms ‘Big Tech is going bite-sized’ to lure retail investors—and it might signal more market-beating returns, BofA says​

Nvidia shares surged 9% to a record high above $1,000 on Thursday after another blowout earnings report, but the stock is about to get a lot cheaper as the AI chip leader announced a 10-for-1 split that will help retail investors more readily buy its shares.

Bank of America analysts, led by Jared Woodard, head of the bank’s research investment committee, described the share split as “another large-cap tech pursuing shareholder-friendly policies” in a Thursday note to clients. Nvidia is the fourth Magnificent Seven Big Tech company to announce a stock split since 2022, with Google, Amazon, and Tesla also “all making shares more accessible,” Woodard and his team noted.
With many Big Tech companies seeing their share prices top $500 in recent years, something that can limit retail investors’ ability to buy shares, they’ve been looking to make it easier for nonprofessional investors to buy in. In other words, “Big Tech is going bite-sized,” BofA said.

likely to soon overtake Apple and be #2 stock behind Microsoft, Nvidia is also popular in the derivatives market.

GraniteShares 2x Long NVDA Daily ETF, which tracks twice the daily percentage change in Nvidia, is the largest single stock ETF. The fund clocked $1 billion in daily turnover for the first time ahead of Nvidia's results last week and its total net assets have hit a record $2.82 billion this week, according to Lipper data.

Options traders are bullish as Nvidia's volumes, particularly for calls, has picked up in recent sessions after the surge in its stock price. Thursday marked the fifth straight session where more than a million Nvidia call options changed hands, the longest such streak in the stock's history, according to a Reuters analysis of Trade Alert data.

Screenshot_20240615-135545_Chrome.jpg

... green get the chips

個全球性的
"A global"

加速基礎設施
Jiāsù jīchǔ shèshī
"Accelerate infrastructure"

1718480835405.png

It certainly appears that way atm. Can NVIDIA keep going up?

And then somebody has another opinion.

1718480985900.png

Very interesting. Two differing opinions, nobody in the middle. Is AI another Industrial Revolution and NVIDIA are at the forefront of a huge change in how we plan, communicate and do business ? OR will AAPL, MSFT, GOOG and the rest catch up and NVIDIA lose their lead in AI chip and software.

gg

The moment they build out the data centres this thing will be a lead balloon.
I wonder if anyone is tracking the builds?

The moment they build out the data centres this thing will be a lead balloon.
I wonder if anyone is tracking the builds?
NVDA is now moving in to server stacks as well as utilising its software and knowledge based on making its AI open source to branch out from chips.

It is now the largest stock by market capitilisation in the world pipping MSFT and AAPL and is sucking investment from other stocks both in the US and Worldwide. If it is a gigantic bubble then most Everyone will be in it either individually or via pension funds worldwide.

gg

NVDA is now moving in to server stacks as well as utilising its software and knowledge based on making its AI open source to branch out from chips.

It is now the largest stock by market capitilisation in the world pipping MSFT and AAPL and is sucking investment from other stocks both in the US and Worldwide. If it is a gigantic bubble then most Everyone will be in it either individually or via pension funds worldwide.

gg
It will most likely take a while. AI will be hot for the build out as massive amounts of money are thrown in.

For nNvidia fans : small article in yesterday's (Thursday 20th June ) AFR " Why the rise and rise of NVDA is stunning......but scary " ( or something like that )

That Reuters article is very interesting @Chipp . It illustrates to me how deep rather than wide will be the effect that AI will have on economies and markets and people.

By that I mean that AI will not be similar to the introduction of the Internet and Nvidia's course will not be similar to that of Cisco. The internet became a source of income for billions because of its spread from person to person, organisation, data provider e.g newspapers and retail e.g Amazon. It was used by everyone and it adaption was singular and contagious. In turn those agencies replied back and engaged with customers.

AI is different in that it will spread commercially within and between countries and large organisations involved in data, commerce, materials, energy and wholesale/retail to use a near forgotten concept. Behind and deep down the seams of commerce will AI influence the ordinary person such as I.

So the little old lady sitting outside BigW on a bench will not suddenly look up from her Facebook page and say mmm I must speak in to Chatgpt and download a program so that today I only see people who have no spelling mistakes nor post that ridiculous meme of the young lady laughing and spewing coffee in to the camera. She will rather do as she is told and turn about to spend money on something she can afford but which is absolutely useless. Or book an appointment with the breast screening people with one tap ( I don't mean that Breast Screen only has one tap. I do not know how many taps they have) which she has overlooked, or missed etc.

AI will have enabled this sudden movement by this wretch, either to return to BigW or book to have her breast screened.

I had presumed to post my insecurity re holding Nvidia. I won't now. Thank you.

gg

I got the wombles over the last month and sold my Nvidia losing some of my winnings in the process. I did a bit of swing trading during the Japanese led retracement which was reasonably new for me and great fun. I'm now back in awaiting the pre-earnings report on 29th Aug and just watching.

NVDA often falls after magnificent earnings reports and significantly falls. I'm a bit contrarian this time in that respect in that I believe it will rock on up further. There is talk of the Chinese having an AI chip and others in the US using lesser chips to do some of the AI work but when I've gone in to it deeply it doesn't add up to a great threat.

All in all, the stock is priced at what the last fool paid for it. Chartwise it is clearing some resistance on the way back up again. I'll need some luck for it to pan out the way I hope it does.

gg

Nice move on the Wombles! And good on you for trying swing trading. Re NVDA, I'm with you on being contrarian this time. The charts look promising, so fingers crossed for a good earnings report!

Nvidia down 9.5 per cent as the company receives DoJ subpoena.

Nasdaq down by 3.5%

The US Justice Department sent subpoenas to Nvidia and other companies as it seeks evidence that the chipmaker violated antitrust laws, an escalation of its investigation into what is the dominant AI computing provider.

Last edited: