Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Most common language

Reactions
Anyone know what the most common used language in Australia is? Is it English? What language should I get my kids to learn so as to survive in this world. thanks

Anyone know what the most common used language in Australia is? Is it English? What language should I get my kids to learn so as to survive in this world. thanks

It would be Australian! I run my own English school here in Japan and it's waay different to that ameeriican english that I am forced to teach :banghead:

My kids are bi lingual Eng- Japanese, Japanese being the better of the 2 at the moment. They also speak spanish and a little Indonesian.
I think spanish (then Portuguese because it's similar) will help them more getting around the word than Japanese..

I think its a bit of a fallacy that you should learn the language of the 'big country' of the time. We shouldn't all learn Chinese languages for example...like Japanese was a waste, like French is a waste, like Indonesian is a waste.

English is the only sure bet and we learn it as a first language in Australia. My tip there would be to force your kids to do well in English and pay attention to grammar. Its sad but true that in many European countries where they are taught mandatory English they learn more thorough grammar than what is tought in Australia. It makes our version of English sound crass to be quite honest.

Otherwise, if you must learn a language, pick one that the kids stand a great chance of spending a lot of time in the future due to family ties maybe?

:confused: What the?? FF, are you calling in from Azerbaijan or something?

Well, the US isn't very popular outside the US :p:
It's getting less popular inside the US too. There is a dissatisfaction in many Americans that would have been unthinkable when I was growing up there. :2twocents

It's getting less popular inside the US too. There is a dissatisfaction in many Americans that would have been unthinkable when I was growing up there. :2twocents

Basically it comes down to this Wayne. Most of us hate the war in Iraq, but we still support our soldiers, since nobody asked them if they wanted to be there. Plus, most of us think that George Bush sucks, however, we're stuck with him until the next election.

So, yes we are dissatisfied with our leadership, but we still love our country and our soldiers. I'm still proud to be an American.

If I had to chose another country to be from though, I'd most definitely pick Australia....actually I've thought about moving there, but I wouldn't have a job.

Most people can't tell, but some pick it up that I'm a yank straight away.

Considering that I have a southern accent, I guess I wouldn't have a chance. It wouldn't be any time before I slipped up and said "Y'all".

Regardless, the Aussie way of talking rocks!