Votes: 35 6.0%
  • God's existance is equally probable and improbable

Votes: 51 8.7%
  • I dont think the existance of god is probable

Votes: 112 19.1%
  • I know there is no GOD we are a random quirk of nature

Votes: 167 28.5%

• Total voters
No prejudice toward humans, indeed anything, is evident throughout history, that is B.C. or AD. Start your own religion. None are right. People believe (imagine) whatever they want as this is part of mind.
The words they re-print from thousands of years ago has no relevance or "connection" to the workings of the observable universe.

Said number of times already:

Some people need the crutch to come to terms that when they die that’s it.

And all religions fill that void, problem solved.
Pity that lots of tax dollars has to be paid to support it.

Is there a God? Yes indeed there is and he loves YOU! ;)

Okay, that's sounds very good but would like you to qualify it with some proof. In all of my search, (and I grew up a devout Catholic who was into theology) I could not find anything in the scriptures that could be substanciated by any physical facts. And, many of the stories particularly that of the Trinity have two distinct and contradictory versions depending on who's bible you subscribe to.

Okay, that's sounds very good but would like you to qualify it with some proof.
Unlikely to get an answer because one can believe anything they wish without having to justify or prove to anyone. Mind is capable of love by definition. This means you are god to you and I am god to I so we are all god and hence capable of love.

Unlikely to get an answer because one can believe anything they wish without having to justify or prove to anyone. Mind is capable of love by definition. This means you are god to you and I am god to I so we are all god and hence capable of love.

Well I cannot, I need the substance before me, I believe in the existence of cats because I see them and have one as a pet.

Your answer is gobbledygook to me.

I also feel at great peace with the universe and will die willingly and happy in the knowledge that my immortality is the example I set and pass on to others and also my genes to my Children and eight wonderful Grandchildren. And that I did not teach them about fairies and other rubbish but about the beauty of nature and the breadth of our infinate and wonderful universe.

I also feel at great peace with the universe and will die willingly and happy in the knowledge that my immortality is the example I set and pass on to others and also my genes to my Children and eight wonderful Grandchildren. And that I did not teach them about fairies and other rubbish but about the beauty of nature and the breadth of our infinate and wonderful universe.
That sounds pretty good to me, explod.
I remember years ago when we were discussing this subject, Dukey (I think) made a post which struck a chord with me when he talked about pantheism.

Pantheism is the view that the Universe (Nature) and God are identical [1], or that the Universe (including Nature on Earth) is the only thing deserving the deepest kind of reverence. The word derives from the Ancient Greek: πᾶν (pan) meaning "All" and θεός (theos) meaning "God" - literally "All is God." As such Pantheism promotes the idea that God is better understood as a way of relating to natural law, existence, and the Universe (the sum total of all that was, is and shall be), rather than as a transcendent, mental, personal or creator entity.[2]. Pantheists thus do not believe in a personal or creator god. Although there are divergences within Pantheism, the central ideas found in almost all versions are the Universe as an all-encompassing unity and the "sacredness" of Nature.

Haven't we all at some time been struck with awe and gratitude at something beautiful in nature? Consider the reassurance we can derive from watching the tides come in and go out twice every day, a sense of the rhythm of life even when our own existence may be chaotic.

Many more examples, none of which need to involve some sort of Holy Father Figure who controls our existence, determines our time of death.

Pleased to hear that AP
I'm surprised to read that from someone whom apparently knows of the following. Well I do anyway. What she sees is what I see and I will look for the book when I'm next at a library. I will probably be walking past a library and will remember to go in for some reason.

Objectivism holds that reality exists independent of consciousness; that individual persons are in direct contact with reality through sensory perception; that human beings can gain objective knowledge from perception through the process of concept formation and inductive and deductive logic; that the proper moral purpose of one's life is the pursuit of one's own happiness or rational self-interest; that the only social system consistent with this morality is full respect for individual rights, embodied in pure laissez faire capitalism; and that the role of art in human life is to transform man's widest metaphysical ideas, by selective reproduction of reality, into a physical form—a work of art—that he can comprehend and to which he can respond emotionally.

Okay, that's sounds very good but would like you to qualify it with some proof. In all of my search, (and I grew up a devout Catholic who was into theology) I could not find anything in the scriptures that could be substanciated by any physical facts. And, many of the stories particularly that of the Trinity have two distinct and contradictory versions depending on who's bible you subscribe to.

I thought certain events of the bible had been confirmed by third parties, both old and new testament. Are you saying that no event in the bible has been confirmed by another source (if I have understood you correctly)?

I'm going to stick up for the Mormons. Several years ago I was laid up following an accident and worrying about stuff like cleaning the pool, mowing the lawns etc. A couple of these young chaps called amongst their routine door to door routine, observed my incapacity and asked what they could do to help. I said I wasn't at all interested in their religion or even in discussing it with them. Their response was that that was fine: they'd still be happy to help. And they did, willingly and very ably. I was really grateful . There was no talk of religion of God or anything along those lines. They left me their phone number and assured me they'd be back promptly if they could do anything more. So my heartfelt thanks to two young Americans who were a great advertisement for their beliefs.

Hey Julia,

Old post, I know - but I was digging up all the clay that was dumped on the front lawn of my rented house by a "friendly" next door neighbour prior to my occupancy.

2 x American Mormons, or 7th Dayers came by ... I just looked up and said their efforts would be wasted on me - I then, in jest, suggested if they wanted to help they could start by assisting me digging up the clay.

Well, the 2 guys dropped their backpacks and started rolling up the sleeves on their white business shirts. Without a doubt I am sure they would have got stuck in.....

I did decline their kind offer to help and accepted their Christmas card

One of the better sides of most religions are the teachings of kindness and goodwill to others

On a side note, a friend of mine had his own way of dealing with religious door knockers. He would spy them walking down the path to the front door and would immediately strip naked. At the first knock he would immediately swing open the door, say no thank you and then close the door. Worked for him, the same guys never came back.

Pleased to hear that AP - didn't go much on those Haitians He wiped out though
All those 140 religions in Oz been saying since "thank you God for a ripper earthquake"

Pain and suffering is a hard one to understand from a christian perspective (well I don't find it easy anyway). Saying that God wiped out those Haitians though would be a matter of discussion. I guess it is possible that he did cause the earthquake, but I'm more inclined to think that he didn't. But as I said this is a hard one, and we certainly won't know all the answers in this lifetime.

One of the better sides of most religions are the teachings of kindness and goodwill to others
Agree, Roland. A friend of mine is a devout Seventh Day Adventist.
(We only remain friends because we agree not to discuss religion.)

Every Christmas she looks around her neighbourhood and her workplace to find anyone who may not have family with whom to spend Christmas Day, and invites them to her home for the day.

Ditto the Salvos who actually help anyone who needs assistance.

Hey Julia,

Old post, I know - but I was digging up all the clay that was dumped on the front lawn of my rented house by a "friendly" next door neighbour prior to my occupancy.

2 x American Mormons, or 7th Dayers came by ... I just looked up and said their efforts would be wasted on me - I then, in jest, suggested if they wanted to help they could start by assisting me digging up the clay.

Well, the 2 guys dropped their backpacks and started rolling up the sleeves on their white business shirts. Without a doubt I am sure they would have got stuck in.....

I did decline their kind offer to help and accepted their Christmas card

On a side note, a friend of mine had his own way of dealing with religious door knockers. He would spy them walking down the path to the front door and would immediately strip naked. At the first knock he would immediately swing open the door, say no thank you and then close the door. Worked for him, the same guys never came back.

The Mormons really would have helped in your yard. I was talking to some recently and at the end of our discussion they asked if I wanted any help in the yard (I've been a bit slack with the lawns!). They were serious. When I declined they asked if I knew of any elderly people who might need some assistance in the yard. I was impressed.

There are beliefs based on experiences however. That's a whole 'nuther bowl of wax.

Yep

Why?
If Mary McKillop were to be honoured for all the very useful work she did, then that would seem excellent, but the attribution to her of a 'miracle' on such a basis is the stuff of fantasy for most people.

In the Catholic Church she was acknowledged for both. Hmmm as for miracles being fantasies, I dont agree

Great story Nioka : )

Pleased to hear that AP - didn't go much on those Haitians He wiped out though
All those 140 religions in Oz been saying since "thank you God for a ripper earthquake"

Hi Tunrida,
I didn't comment on here to start any arguments ... just want people to realise that there is a God and he loves YOU! Yes there disasters that happen throughout this world of ours ...... terrible disasters .... however as a human race we are quick to want to blame someone for that ..... God loves us and if we had chosen to live by His ways things would be very different .... however, as humans we thought we knew best and chose to live our own way ..... how can we now blame God when things go wrong? We can't have it both ways ....
Take care mate .... :D

Hi Tunrida,
I didn't comment on here to start any arguments ... just want people to realise that there is a God and he loves YOU! Yes there disasters that happen throughout this world of ours ...... terrible disasters .... however as a human race we are quick to want to blame someone for that ..... God loves us and if we had chosen to live by His ways things would be very different .... however, as humans we thought we knew best and chose to live our own way ..... how can we now blame God when things go wrong? We can't have it both ways ....
Take care mate .... :D

G'day AP

I'm like you, I usually don't like starting arguments, especially regarding religion. I don't like picking on other posters either.

Unfortunately for you I have to break two of my "commandments" because of your above post and I cannot let it go without comment.

I'm afraid I (personally) have not read more poppycock for a long time.

But its your life and good luck to you.

Cheers

dutchie

PS

poppycock (from pappe kak, the Dutch phrase for "bird crap")

The ten commandments from the bible does set out a moral standard to live by. It is not the sole property of the christian religion either or of religions in general. If there is one lesson that can be learnt from the bible then that is the one. I am not a great practicing christian but I was taught the ten commandments at a young age and while I can not claim to have never breached them I do try and use them to guide my life. Pity more do not do the same.

If you think about them often you will be a better person and life will be more satisying. :)