Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

We banking on a large, or small scale Iran retaliation on Israel?

Any weird movement in the markets that anyone caught?
Rocket attacks now beginning. Oil is running HARD in response.

Preliminary/forward units have already been deployed into beirut and gaza under the guise of terrorist hunting, but my gut instinct is that they're really recon units gathering intel for a full on ground invasion.

Fact is that the americans no longer need the oil so they don't actually need to prevent anything from scrambling the entire region.

Preliminary/forward units have already been deployed into beirut and gaza under the guise of terrorist hunting, but my gut instinct is that they're really recon units gathering intel for a full on ground invasion.

Fact is that the americans no longer need the oil so they don't actually need to prevent anything from scrambling the entire region.
Mr Putin and the Indians refiners rubbing their hands in glee.
The EU executives joining in crocodiles tears in a well rehearsed move while opening the borders a bit further , sending more humanitarian cross Mediterranean ferries..and buying more Caribbean island homes from the proceeds...
Let the European and Mediterranean populace pay the price.

Mr Putin and the Indians refiners rubbing their hands in glee.
The EU executives joining in crocodiles tears in a well rehearsed move while opening the borders a bit further , sending more humanitarian cross Mediterranean ferries..and buying more Caribbean island homes from the proceeds...
Let the European and Mediterranean populace pay the price.
We will pay the price at the pump.
This is a very strong inflation pusher
Stock up jerrycans yesterday of unleaded at $1.59

Switching topic.
Have you looked into these esg laws pushed out of Europe at all?
They are insane.
If you are a large company and someone in your supply chain isn't "sustainable" enough, then the large company has to pay to bring them up to code.
There's a whole bunch of retarded laws that made it through.
I think there's like 5% fines of company revenue and things like that.

I was trying to figure why harley davidson went woke and this was the reason. They were strong armed into it.
How does this serve shareholders.

Rocket attacks now beginning.
There is a big difference between an intermediate-range ballistic missile and the hand-crafted rockets fired by Hamas.

It takes 12 minutes for a ballistic missile to reach Israel from Iran, and half an hour for cruise and other missiles.

There is a big difference between an intermediate-range ballistic missile and the hand-crafted rockets fired by Hamas.

It takes 12 minutes for a ballistic missile to reach Israel from Iran, and half an hour for cruise and other missiles.
I don't think anyone would hear "rocket attacks from iran" and think it was the type of thing the average hamas member macguyver's up in their kitchen.

About 90% of Iranian oil exports go through Kharg Island in the Persian Gulf.
What are the chances of it being used as target practice by the IDF?
Mick
There was a mainstream media article a few weeks ago to the effect of "fuel prices are down, and here's why they're going even lower" or words very similar to that.

As a contrarian I saw that as a clear indication to expect the oil price to rise. :2twocents

so they seem to me , that is why i am very reluctant to invest in companies operating in the $EU or UK

i escaped VUK ( after buying it as CYBG)

and avoided URW
They all have to do it. Or they all get swept along into it if you supply. Going to be interesting to see how the mining side works.

If you do business in the EU but also other countries. Then anyone that supplies you must adhere to certain practices or you may get tagged with a fine. Doesn't matter from where apparently.

This would have to blow out costs surely.

U.S unemployment rate comes in better than expected, hourly earnings come in better than expected, total payrolls come in at +250k vs +150k estimated, bond yields and markets are both soaring.

Fixed income now completely repricing the next fed meeting/rate move.

Told you, the fed overdid it.

U.S unemployment rate comes in better than expected, hourly earnings come in better than expected, total payrolls come in at +250k vs +150k estimated, bond yields and markets are both soaring.

Fixed income now completely repricing the next fed meeting/rate move.

Told you, the fed overdid it.
Questions need to be asked about what is causing these large revisions at the department of labor, seems the data that is released at any given time is revised substantially in the subsequent months.

Questions need to be asked about what is causing these large revisions at the department of labor, seems the data that is released at any given time is revised substantially in the subsequent months.
Whats the bet that after the election, this data point will be revised downwards, as have so many recent data points.
Even Jerome Powell was sceptical of some of the data coming from the BLS.
As usual, Zerohedge unpicks the data to see what lies undeneath this stunning report.
Firstly, most of the big increase came from a phalanx of Government employees.

1728079987807.png
And even as government employees, private sector empoyees fell by 58k.

1728080125674.png
And as has been increasingly the case for Americans over the last few years, many workers need to hold down more than one job to survive.
1728080263660.png

Are we really looking at a robust economy with GDP growing substantially?
Mick

Jerome Powel must be sweating in his boots.
After a 50basis point retreat for interest rates, he mut be looking at some of the data coming out with same alarm.
The dock strike only lasted three days, but longshoremaen got a 10% rise per year for the next six years.
That in itself will only have a small affect on the price of getting goods through the ports, but the real problem is when other unions start to ask why they cannot get the same increases.
The International Botherhood of Teamsters union has around 1.4 million members.
How will they view this collective bargaining win?
Secondly, global food prices continue to rise.
The FAO released its latest food price index, and the index is only going one way, Up.
Looking at the various food groups, they seem to be all suffering the same fate at once.
This cannot be good for the people who are at the bottom of the food chain, and obviously will flow through into food inflation

1728102231404.png
And finally, the EPA have brought in some new rules regarding effluent from meat processors, which may well force some to close completely due to the cost of compliance, while others will past the costs of compliance onto customers.
1728103016039.png
Inflationary pressures are still building.
Jerome must be getting precious little sleep.
Mick

No but they help to dry up the money supply, which as we all know from economics 101, Inflation is too much money chasing too few goods or services.
Mick
Right but if your supply is restricted then the only way to bring things back into inflationary equilibrium is by pounding demand to the same proportion.

Meaning tip things into recession.