Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

And look how we are sorting housing :
From our ALP geniuses in Qld

Everything to ensure no sane person becomes a landlord
Good lord, that Scanlon is as smart as dog poo.

People who want to give the information voluntarily will get the rental over the one who wants to play I know my rights and possibly hide something. They just don't get that there's a rental shortage in Australia because of inaction from past and present governments and pointing the finger doesn't solve anyone's problem.

Milton Friedman famously said: “Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon, in the sense that it is and can be produced only by a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output.”
And that increase in money supply ends up almost exclusively in the pockets of the Elites.
Mick

1711318521093.png

At first it looks like a big jump in numbers, but if you used some of that rise to back fill the losses during Covid we are actually a bit down compared to the pre Covid trend.
From an economic perspective though the trouble is infrastructure is down even further.

We haven't even built one new city from scratch in that time. Or even just expanded the existing ones that can reasonably be expanded by an adequate amount.

Taking "infrastructure" in the broadest possible sense there. Eg houses are infrastructure in the context I'm using the term. :2twocents

that chart is a real eye-opener, Its like you can almost see the gap widening and Friedman’s words just add another layer to the discussion about who's really getting ahead in the economy.it all makes one wonder about the whole system when the top sliver skyrockets and everyone else is barely nudging up
Milton Friedman famously said: “Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon, in the sense that it is and can be produced only by a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output.”
And that increase in money supply ends up almost exclusively in the pockets of the Elites.
Mick

View attachment 173296

From an economic perspective though the trouble is infrastructure is down even further.

We haven't even built one new city from scratch in that time. Or even just expanded the existing ones that can reasonably be expanded by an adequate amount.

Taking "infrastructure" in the broadest possible sense there. Eg houses are infrastructure in the context I'm using the term. :2twocents
Sydney and Brisbane are being expanded pretty quickly, just probally not quickly enough For this surge, but things tend to catch up eventually, and then normally over shoot into a glut.

In my part of Brisbane every where I look horse paddocks, acerage lots and small farms are being converted in new housing subdivisions, houses are being knocked down and apartments or town houses rebuilt, the city skyline is full of cranes building new apartment buildings.

that chart is a real eye-opener, Its like you can almost see the gap widening and Friedman’s words just add another layer to the discussion about who's really getting ahead in the economy.it all makes one wonder about the whole system when the top sliver skyrockets and everyone else is barely nudging up
A lot of people scoffed at me when I said the low interest rates would be how they would control the majority of the populace, many people I know bought houses thinking the interest rate would take years to climb, guess what most of them are doing now? Communism and capitalism are how govts control the people, it's just 2 different ways of doing it.

Mick

View attachment 173296
inflation can be caused by things things

1. Quantity of money increasing

2. The velocity of money increasing

3. The Quantity of Products available decreasing.

all three have happened

inflation can be caused by things things

1. Quantity of money increasing

2. The velocity of money increasing

3. The Quantity of Products available decreasing.

all three have happened
Central banks across the world printed excess money during covid.

Covid knocked out many businesses = less price competition for products and fewer building materials.

The Eastern European War = more pressure on energy fuels, transport and some exports.

Effects on energy prices due to going to green energy.

Labour costs increase while trying to keep up with the cost of living.

Central banks across the world printed excess money during covid.

Covid knocked out many businesses = less price competition for products and fewer building materials.

The Eastern European War = more pressure on energy fuels, transport and some exports.

Effects on energy prices due to going to green energy.

Labour costs increase while trying to keep up with the cost of living.
yep, that pretty much some it up, except the energy prices increases have larger come from fossil fuels, not renewables.

And when workers see prices going up, they automatically want their wages to go up, because they personally want to keep consuming at the same levels, but is there is physical shortages, raising wages does nothing but create another round of prices rises.

YTD inflation prospects have not diminished in fact Dec IB futures have reducing rate cuts priced by EOY . The same thing is occurring with US fed fund futures on a more dramatic sense . Oil prices be the major concern YTD along with cost of housing and insurtance . We are not out of the woods and those relying on rate cuts may be disappointed
ScreenShot461.jpgScreenShot460.jpgScreenShot462.jpg