Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

Absolutely, check out the size of any car when they were first released and now. The cars have grown, but go down to the local shopping center and the passengers aren't the size they were either.
Toyota Rav 4 original Vs Toyota Rav 4 2024.

Kia Sorrento original Vs Kia Sorrento 2024.

Mum, Dad and three teenage kids in a 1964 Mini, try that now, you would need 20Kg's of butter. 🤣

True, but if you check you’ll find that as the one model grows another smaller model is introduced. The Corona started as a small car and grew, and then the Corolla was released, that grew and then the Yaris was introduced. And so on.

As for the size of people these days, I think we are seeing the effects of poor diet, lack of exercise and gluttony. Vegetables have become a side dish, while meat, fats and carbs are the constant staple is three times a day.

True, but if you check you’ll find that as the one model grows another smaller model is introduced. The Corona started as a small car and grew, and then the Corolla was released, that grew and then the Yaris was introduced. And so on.

As for the size of people these days, I think we are seeing the effects of poor diet, lack of exercise and gluttony. Vegetables have become a side dish, while meat, fats and carbs are the constant staple is three times a day.
Meat and good fat do not make obese people, but sugar and carbs...
We got inflation in the quantity of crap food...

Meat and good fat do not make obese people, but sugar and carbs...
We got inflation in the quantity of crap food...

Yes, sugar and crap food is the biggest problem but I meant too much meat and good fats is a problem as well. Our ancestors didn’t eat meat and cheese every day of the week, let alone twice. And they were fit and healthy, just look at the old movies pre 50’s.

Yes, sugar and crap food is the biggest problem but I meant too much meat and good fats is a problem as well. Our ancestors didn’t eat meat and cheese every day of the week, let alone twice. And they were fit and healthy, just look at the old movies pre 50’s.
Yours maybe not but mine definitively...
Different cultures..but low sugar, good bread not what is sold as bread here..yet wine everyday...
In a lot of France and based on areas
Bread plus:
Wine and cheese, meat/eggs,cream butter
Low sugar, smaller rations,vegetables fries do not count
Every meal had salad and cheese on top of main
So yes meat and cheese both twice a day...
Let 's go back to inflation:
Received RACQ car insurance premiums : going from 3 cars to 2 cars (son flying on his own) bill slightly increased..so yep another 30% increase per car premium..no accident no fire flood risk, same parking area...yet obviously value of car insured decreasing ...
Good thing is that doing a few calls here and there and I should be able to save $500...by switching...
There is no benefit anymore in fidelity ,or even getting all types in insurance with the same business.
At a loss on the business acumen of pushing existing clients out...

I feel like you haven‘t Understood my point about there being 2 types of inflation.

The Covid lockdowns, war in Ukraine etc etc that’s all supply chain induced inflation, raising wages does nothing to alleviate that, that’s is what I am talking about.

when Putin shut off gas pipelines and caused energy prices to skyrocket, the only answer is to reduce demand until we can raise supply.

it Doesn’t matter what the reason for the reduced supply is, whether is was caused by weather, war, covid it doesn’t matter, the fact is at that moment we have less, it’s just a fact.

Higher prices will cause consumers to be more cautious with the resource, substitute where they can etc etc. and the higher prices will incentivise suppliers to supply more, divert shipments from other markets etc.

its the only way it can work, unless you install a system of rationing which doesn’t help with increasing supply.
You are missing my point. I am not saying that raising wages alleviates inflation. I am claiming that raising wages is not causing the inflation.

And yes I understand what you are saying about different types of inflation but there is more than one type of inflation happening at the same time.

Also just to be clear we are in agreement that the problem was caused by governments and central banks? Now if you are trying to say the solution to the problem caused by governments is consumers tightening their belts until supply increases again there is some rationality behind that argument.

But what annoys me is the mainstream media trying to blame consumers as the root cause of the problem as if consumers started the war on Ukraine or printed trillions of dollars or shut down the economy because of a flu. Of course the populace gets angry when the authorities try to gaslight them.

Maybe if there was admissions of guilt from politicians and central bankers about how they caused the inflation crises and they need the help of consumers to resolve the crises they created it would be a different issue.

Also because markets including commodity markets are forward looking you don't even need to immediately increase supply to reduce commodity prices. Just having a credible plan to bring more supply to market will be enough to push the commodity prices lower.

This can be done by governments in terms of food prices if they stop trying to strangle the small farmers to push the green agenda. And if they stop holding up issuing permits for gas fracking, oil drilling iron ore mining, etc If they start relaxing the rules (strict due to the green agenda and other reasons also) around permit issuance and exploration licensing and get serious about increasing supply the market will increase its forward projection of supply and start reducing existing prices due to being forward looking. Again governments can do far more to resolve the issues they created with their idiocy than trying to push all the burden of action onto consumers while simultaneously gaslighting them.

Last edited:
You are missing my point. I am not saying that raising wages alleviates inflation. I am claiming that raising wages is not causing the inflation.
Cool, But I never claimed that was what is causing our current inflation.

And yes I understand what you are saying about different types of inflation but there is more than one type of inflation happening at the same time.

Yep, that's my point

Also just to be clear we are in agreement that the problem was caused by governments and central banks? Now if you are trying to say the solution to the problem caused by governments is consumers tightening their belts until supply increases again there is some rationality behind that argument.

The monetary inflation side was caused by the central banks, mainly because they were avoiding major catastrophes, so they everyday consumer has probably had a much better time over the last 16 years than they would have if nothing was done to fend off the GFC and other crisis in the mean time. Some times if you have a good time you get a hangover.

The supply chain problem always requires belt tightening, but there will be other times where we get fat.

But what annoys me is the mainstream media trying to blame consumers as the root cause of the problem as if consumers started the war on Ukraine or printed trillions of dollars or shut down the economy because of a flu. Of course the populace gets angry when the authorities try to gaslight them.

The Media always get the wrong idea, and like to sprout emotive headlines.

Maybe if there was admissions of guilt from politicians and central bankers about how they caused the inflation crises and they need the help of consumers to resolve the crises they created it would be a different issue.

I don't think they are guilty, I think they did what they thought was needed keep the economy ticking and keep people in jobs, the everyday people have benefited.

Also because markets including commodity markets are forward looking you don't even need to immediately increase supply to reduce commodity prices. Just having a credible plan to bring more supply to market will be enough to push the commodity prices lower.

Having a credible plan to prevent the next drought and install more irrigation will not have an immediate affect on the price of Avocados, or any other commodity that we consume hand to mouth like Oil, a shortage requires the consume to take action, price it the signal.

Different cultures..but low sugar, good bread not what is sold as bread here..yet wine everyday...
Bread plus:
Received RACQ car insurance premiums : going from 3 cars to 2 cars (son flying on his own) bill slightly increased..so yep another 30% increase per car premium..no accident no fire flood risk, same parking area...yet obviously value of car insured decreasing ...
Good thing is that doing a few calls here and there and I should be able to save $500...by switching...
There is no benefit anymore in fidelity ,or even getting all types in insurance with the same business.
exact increase on 2009 holden ute premium..with less benefits like lease car etc is 50.8%.. just computed....what can I say 5% inflation...there is a lot of bread milk in that increase and much more than rental..with the taxation side (gov revenue between stamp duty and gst) obviously increased by the same percentage.....

I posted this in another thread, but I think it is relevant to the inflation discussion.

We all blame governments and businesses for the increasing inflation, and yes there is some blame to go there, but we rarely look at ourselves.

Consumers need to understand that their purchasing choices affects many things, including what a business is going to stock, what manufacturing build, the cost to make, hold and sell. this is a part of the inflation formula.

We want bigger cars, we need bigger roads and more maintenance, bills go up, resources are reduced, prices increase to meet the new demands, wages increase to match the cost of living, we buy more with our increased wages. And round in circles we go again.

This popped up on my notifications, shows how much bigger the average car is getting. Maybe it’s a sign of our increased wealth, the average household owns two cars, one for each partner. Forty years ago, we would have one large family car and one small run-around.
Today we buy what we want, large dual cab Ute just in case we go off road or I buy a boat, and a large SUV to carry the family.

IMG_3113.jpeg
... And, apparently road damage is proportional to weight cubed

Bread plus:

My lunch this morning, it’s my Friday treat and the only day I have breakfast. I go to the gym at 5:30, shower & dress for work, have breakfast reading the papers, and then off to work.

IMG_3116.jpeg

My lunch this morning, it’s my Friday treat and the only day I have breakfast. I go to the gym at 5:30, shower & dress for work, have breakfast reading the papers, and then off to work.

View attachment 169563
Great, can not say I am now a typical case: on intermittent fasting so breakfast plus 1 meal a day within 8h period.
Not counting..working well for the frog in term of weight loss, not so much for the lady.
But like it in term of feeling good, metabolism...a bit off subject, I should post this in FMG
Or is it too early? has FMG started yet the big next diet scheme with cricket farms powered by solar energy?😊

Great, can not say I am now a typical case: on intermittent fasting so breakfast plus 1 meal a day within 8h period.
Not counting..working well for the frog in term of weight loss, not so much for the lady.
But like it in term of feeling good, metabolism...a bit off subject, I should post this in FMG
Or is it too early? has FMG started yet the big next diet scheme with cricket farms powered by solar energy?😊

Yes, intermittent fasting has worked wonders for my aging metabolism and bowels. Since I started having diagnosed bowel issue, I went two meals per day about 4 years ago, brunch and dinner, except for Fridays when I have breakfast and dinner. The doctors have been very surprised, one asking me what I have done. I put it down to giving the bowels a rest.

Sorry for going off topic :)

I don't think they are guilty, I think they did what they thought was needed keep the economy ticking and keep people in jobs, the everyday people have benefited.

The counterargument is that the crisis was created by governments and central banks in the first place so they, not the general public, ought to have worn the cost.

The present economic circumstances are far more a creation of governments and the banking industry than they are of consumers. Hollowing out the economy, restrictive land use policies, lending money to anyone with a pulse, etc. It's not consumers who did that.

To take one example of significance, natural gas. Sure the actions of Russia spiked the international LNG price but the only reason that's impacted the Australian domestic economy is because we linked our prices to international prices, a decision made in the relatively recent past (late 2010) and which in practice took effect during 2016. So it wasn't unavoidable and it certainly wasn't a decision made by consumers. :2twocents

The counterargument is that the crisis was created by governments and central banks in the first place so they, not the general public, ought to have worn the cost.

The present economic circumstances are far more a creation of governments and the banking industry than they are of consumers. Hollowing out the economy, restrictive land use policies, lending money to anyone with a pulse, etc. It's not consumers who did that.

To take one example of significance, natural gas. Sure the actions of Russia spiked the international LNG price but the only reason that's impacted the Australian domestic economy is because we linked our prices to international prices, a decision made in the relatively recent past (late 2010) and which in practice took effect during 2016. So it wasn't unavoidable and it certainly wasn't a decision made by consumers. :2twocents
The public did benefit from all those things, in the 12 years before now, the royalties on gas exports have helped keep the spending on services going while having taxes Lower than they would have had to be otherwise.

as I said there is a time where we get fat, and a time we tighten our belt, a time to party and a time for a hangover.

The best thing to do it set your self up so your sail through regardless, eg refuse a few drinks, and try and keep fit.

there is one, btw. Usual suspects

"Food, diet, facts and myths"​

I thought FMG was the one
Food Meal and weight Gain?
The usual suspect..
Ok, let's go back on thread:
Mangoes on the sunny coast: cheapest so far I could find in retail shops are $2.7 a piece
This is a mango year so no supply issue, trees are dropping them every where and bats have a ball.
Last year, not a good year for local (sunny coast) production, you could get them at $2
From $2 to $2.7 for lowest quality size...that is a bloody big increase considering there is a glut of the product?

I thought FMG was the one
Food Meal and weight Gain?
The usual suspect..
Ok, let's go back on thread:
Mangoes on the sunny coast: cheapest so far I could find in retail shops are $2.7 a piece
This is a mango year so no supply issue, trees are dropping them every where and bats have a ball.
Last year, not a good year for local (sunny coast) production, you could get them at $2
From $2 to $2.7 for lowest quality size...that is a bloody big increase considering there is a glut of the product?
It would be interesting to know how much the farm gate price of Mangos has risen, vs all the other costs of getting them from farm gate to market.

eg. card Board boxes, fuel, electricity, insurance, wages, etc etc.

Also, Australia is a mango exporter, so we are some what tied to the world price, so just because part of Australia has a bumper crop one year, doesn’t mean the rest of the world isn’t in short supply seeing higher prices.