Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

i suspect you are correct

sadly some data i used to rely on is now hard to find or just suspect ( conflicting with indications elsewhere )

Things like this:

They are now prompting BASF to lay off thousands of workers and shut down sections of its flagship facility in Ludwigshafen, Germany.

So if production's not physically happening then fair chance we'll see shortages / price increases for the products in due course.

Bearing in mind the plant in question isn't some run of the mill factory. The entire complex is more than 5km long and up to 2km wide with it's own CBD-like grid of streets.

To put that into perspective, for comparison the Melbourne CBD grid is a comparatively tiny 1.9km x 0.95km. :2twocents

US jobless claims fall again. Market too toight.

Everything I'm seeing is in support of the further hikes by the Fed.
I don't think stagflation is an outcome they can accept (it'd be politically unpalatable and would call into question the need for central banks that can't affect inflation).

Either data improves or we go higher IMO

Things like this:

So if production's not physically happening then fair chance we'll see shortages / price increases for the products in due course.

Bearing in mind the plant in question isn't some run of the mill factory. The entire complex is more than 5km long and up to 2km wide with it's own CBD-like grid of streets.

To put that into perspective, for comparison the Melbourne CBD grid is a comparatively tiny 1.9km x 0.95km. :2twocents
And a key production being closed is ammonia for fertilizer production .so more expensive rare fertilisers and so food issues next year

And a key production being closed is ammonia for fertilizer production .so more expensive rare fertilisers and so food issues next year
Was listening o the country hour yesterday when driving back from a sale, and they interviewed someone who runs a gypsum mine in Northern Victoria.
They were saying that farmers are increasingly turning to gypsum, especially in heavy clay soils, as the cost of nitrate based fertilizers becomes too high, or is just plain unobtainable.
Mick

Was listening o the country hour yesterday when driving back from a sale, and they interviewed someone who runs a gypsum mine in Northern Victoria.
They were saying that farmers are increasingly turning to gypsum, especially in heavy clay soils, as the cost of nitrate based fertilizers becomes too high, or is just plain unobtainable.
Mick
am surprised they hadn't been using gypsum much earlier in the saga ( especially in heavy clay soils )

looks like there will be more crop rotation in the coming few years

Yep. Question is, how long is it going to last? Will we see the same trend as goods bought during covid, i.e people will travel/restaurant/theme park etc etc etc and then either run out of money and/or have gotten it out of their system and then stop? So we see this lovely big bounce now and then a plummet a year or two from here?

Or will the aforementioned bounce in demand for services, which translates to a demand for internal labour, which translates to higher wages, keep the proverbial wheel turning?
This is when a crystal ball is needed to foresee the future. Anyone's guess

Mick
We have been using gypsum and lime for many years now on our property and also in contract work. Applied at the right time is magic.

We have been using gypsum and lime for many years now on our property and also in contract work. Applied at the right time is magic.
But nitrogen still required in huge quantities for European wheat fields Hardly any real soil left from my 40y old souvenirs of wheat fields in France Marne Aube area. Chalk gravel plus fertilisers was the soil then and I doubt it has improvedthis is what is feeding Africa and part of asia.you can not have 8. Billions on Earth wo these American or European surpluses,and nitrogen aka fossil fuels are key.
Inflation in Australia means less coffee or losing houses : dramatic but not as much as starving for a good quarter of manking

But nitrogen still required in huge quantities for European wheat fields Hardly any real soil left from my 40y old souvenirs of wheat fields in France Marne Aube area. Chalk gravel plus fertilisers was the soil then and I doubt it has improvedthis is what is feeding Africa and part of asia.you can not have 8. Billions on Earth wo these American or European surpluses,and nitrogen aka fossil fuels are key.
Inflation in Australia means less coffee or losing houses : dramatic but not as much as starving for a good quarter of manking
We still us superphosate and mixes and urea too. It just a balancing act on our minimal top soil. Would love that 30 so feet of top soil that USofA and parts of the old CCCP has.

Is gypsum an actual alternative to ammonium based fertilizers? Logic tells me it wouldn't be given the very different chemical composition. :confused:

Is gypsum an actual alternative to ammonium based fertilizers? Logic tells me it wouldn't be given the very different chemical composition. :confused:
Not a real time farmer but gypsum helps to break down clay releasing/making available clay locked elements
Mr @farmerge will know more.
When you have no soil or just have an inert substrate, fertilisers are needed as you are de facto doing hydroponics ..
Sadly, this is the way of a lot of intensive agriculture .I am more permaculture, soil health etc
But we need to feed the world, and inflation can not be allowed on food stuff or people will starve, governments overthrown and wars started.

It would be interesting to see the consequences of 1974 oil shock and inflation starting then on food supplies and famines then.
Were not Biafra and Ethiopian famines, at the same time?
War caused maybe or foremost...

Not a real time farmer but gypsum helps to break down clay releasing/making available clay locked elements
Mr @farmerge will know more.
When you have no soil or just have an inert substrate, fertilisers are needed as you are de facto doing hydroponics ..
Sadly, this is the way of a lot of intensive agriculture .I am more permaculture, soil health etc
But we need to feed the world, and inflation can not be allowed on food stuff or people will starve, governments overthrown and wars started.

It would be interesting to see the consequences of 1974 oil shock and inflation starting then on food supplies and famines then.
Were not Biafra and Ethiopian famines, at the same time?
War caused maybe or foremost...
from memory as a bit of a part-time farm-hand , helps not replaces , especially difficult ground , other stuff like wood ash can help in certain circumstances , but the old time solution is nitrogen fixing plants like legumes or forage sorghum ( read all the extra stuff with the forage sorghum , it is dangerous to livestock before it matures properly) but when mature let the livestock in to add manure to your soil

you harvest the nitrogen fixing crop but plough the rest in the ground to rot and fertilize , not ideal for intense cropping , but if no fertilizer better than leaving it idle for a couple of years ( or more )

from memory as a bit of a part-time farm-hand , helps not replaces , especially difficult ground , other stuff like wood ash can help in certain circumstances , but the old time solution is nitrogen fixing plants like legumes or forage sorghum ( read all the extra stuff with the forage sorghum , it is dangerous to livestock before it matures properly) but when mature let the livestock in to add manure to your soil

you harvest the nitrogen fixing crop but plough the rest in the ground to rot and fertilize , not ideal for intense cropping , but if no fertilizer better than leaving it idle for a couple of years ( or more )
Pretty well spot on. Gypsum is a bonus on the heavy clay soils by opening and softening the ground. Also helps to retain any water that would otherwise just run-off when the ground is as hard as concrete.
Another substance that I have availed myself of for the past 20 or so years is chicken manure. A layer of wood chips or sawdust, used to be jarrah here but pine is taking over now. 40 to 60 days with the chickens from day old onwards. Its a win win. Chicken manure is nitrogen and the wood chips/sawdust break down with the manure to make very good compost. Grows a terrific hay crop. The down side is the fly problem when first spread on the paddocks. Small birds then live pretty well.

Not the same and the use of it in my enterprise is just to open up and heavy clay soils have a fair bit of granite country, grey clay, sets in summer like concrete, and soup in winter. Been hopelessly booged over the years with many vehicles trying to pull the prvious one out of the mire.