Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

This must be what peak inflation is meant to look like

Energy prices have peaked, because of a mild European winter, contingency plans for electricity production seem to be working, consumers have reduced energy consumption, other sources of energy have come on board, and natural gas prices have dropped in Europe.
we will see about that ( peaked energy prices )

Europe ( and UK ) still have to replenish energy reserves for the coming year and emergencies

fairly hard to make extra armaments for the Ukraine conflict when you have basically de-industrialized yourself

remember the EU are the same clowns that were happy with negative yielding bonds a while back ( too WOKE to know they are broke )

This must be what peak inflation is meant to look like

i don't know what current 'inflation' is meant to look like , but in the '70s it bit HARD ( on real people ) remember all those hippies that saved money on haircuts and new clothes and it was often cheaper NOT to work ( or rent a house/flat ) just commune around in a rural setting smoking herbs ( and avoiding tobacco and alcohol taxes )

i don't know what current 'inflation' is meant to look like , but in the '70s it bit HARD ( on real people ) remember all those hippies that saved money on haircuts and new clothes and it was often cheaper NOT to work ( or rent a house/flat ) just commune around in a rural setting smoking herbs ( and avoiding tobacco and alcohol taxes )

Nothing wrong with a good hippie or two :cigar:

a mate involved in wholesale just put the finishing touches on her price list all going up significantly ?

I'm expecting another dip. Inflation isn't going away and interest rises are going to hit hard. I'm looking at taking some profits and will sit out for a while.
Bit late moxy :/

Neither. I was all ready to go 50% into FNGU until the tech earnings last night flipped everything. Now, now I agree with a headline I just saw about how things are now "extremely uncertain".

It might be a hold cash and pucker for a while now.

Nvidia just posted far better than expected numbers and was +9% in aftermarket trading last night. Futures are deep into the green at the moment too.

I'm expecting another dip. Inflation isn't going away and interest rises are going to hit hard. I'm looking at taking some profits and will sit out for a while.
I'm not sure it is done with yet, waiting for one more step up and locking in the term deposit for 3-5years, not sure which yet.

Bit late moxy :/
All my stuff is holding up, Just starting to get hit this week ( I haven't been paying attention lately to the market though). I let trailing stops do their job.

I'm expecting a dip to lows at some stage. But honestly I'm not sure when that's going to hit.
I'll have to shorten my trading time frame as well. Been holding some of these longs for a few months.

I'm not sure it is done with yet, waiting for one more step up and locking in the term deposit for 3-5years, not sure which yet.
Yeah I was listening to a bear the other day and his arguments were plausible.
I also saw a bunch of gyms go out of business which is my leading indicator to hard recession.
So I'm in a bearish mood. I'll let the stops take me out as it will probably run.

So far as the indices are concerned, they've held up but a lot of individual stocks are already well past their peak for this recent rally.

The big names quite likely will follow. :2twocents
Yes I think a lot of the stocks have peaked, I'm only into dividends and renewable linked shares, that are going to get Govt injections as they chase the holy grail.
As far as inflation goes, I'm seeing a drop of in consumer activity, but I'm also seeing price increases in cost of staples at the two major supermarkets and consumers can't avoid a lot of those rises.
Just my two cents worth.