Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Got a good price for that gold too
but that still might have been a mistake , since there is demand for our minerals , energy and food exports maybe not a face-plant blunder , assuming we can still vacuum up the gold currently being mined if the needs arises ( some gold producers have significantly hedged forward production , so some will not be easily available to acquire )

but that still might have been a mistake , since there is demand for our minerals , energy and food exports maybe not a face-plant blunder , assuming we can still vacuum up the gold currently being mined if the needs arises ( some gold producers have significantly hedged forward production , so some will not be easily available to acquire )
In November 1997 the then Treasurer, Peter Costello, shocked some people when he announced he'd signed off on the sale of $2 billion worth of Australian bullion. On the day he announced the sale the price was around $US306.00 an ounce. At the time, according to Mr Costello, gold "no longer plays a significant role in the international financial system".

In November 1997 the then Treasurer, Peter Costello, shocked some people when he announced he'd signed off on the sale of $2 billion worth of Australian bullion. On the day he announced the sale the price was around $US306.00 an ounce. At the time, according to Mr Costello, gold "no longer plays a significant role in the international financial system".
Nothing has really changed, gold still no longer plays a significant role in financial systems, it is just people like hoarding it. No different to bitcoin, diamonds, rubies etc, really only worth what someone will give you for them.
It isn't like resources, that are actually consumed to make make something.
Every bit of gold that has ever been dug up, is still sitting there, I've never bought in.
Also at the same time the U.S and a lot of European countries were unloading gold, as it had no intrinsic value in the fiat system.
But people being people, keep cranking it up, bit like gambling really just not my bag.
They may go back to a gold reserve, then I will get interested, until then there is plenty of other things to spend money on.IMO

Screenshot 2022-02-20 101308.png

Last edited:
now i would have called that a mistake ( but remember there are bigger creatures pulling political strings here ) , BUT we still actively mine gold in Australia so we COULD replenish , some nations mine very little gold or silver ( for them that would be a major blunder selling the gold reserves )

personally i have less faith in the international financial system ( even back then ) than gold/silver , but unfortunately Costello has yet to be replaced by a better financial manager ( Australia was not unique in off-loading their gold at that time )

Nothing has really changed, gold still no longer plays a significant role in financial systems, it is just people like hoarding it. No different to bitcoin, diamonds, rubies etc, really only worth what someone will give you for them.
It isn't like resources, that are actually consumed to make make something.
Every bit of gold that has ever been dug up, is still sitting there, I've never bought in.
Also at the same time the U.S and a lot of European countries were unloading gold, as it had no intrinsic value in the fiat system.
But people being people, keep cranking it up, bit like gambling really just not my bag.
actually that also applies to those crappy promissory notes , ALL currency is a unit of exchange ( for stuff you really want ) and gold does absolutely nothing ( which has proven to be a GOOD thing )

Costello sold at $US 306 today you would pay $US 1,800 ( plus ) and gold has not changed it hasn't been upgraded , no new accessories added so you can see the $US has devalued markedly in just 25 years ( a fall of more than 80% )

BTW some gold is used , some in dental fillings , more in quality audio/video gear ( on the connectors ) and some in the various computers and electronic gear , and in some cases bathroom fittings etc etc ( for those who love to flaunt their wealth )

i would suggest that any currency system that has no intention of fiscal restraint is effectively worthless ( the people issuing sure as heck don't value it )

Sorry the article has a pay wall when accessed through a link, but it confirms the Howard government did leave office with australia debt free and with a budget surplus.
that was probably financial trickery , but tragically not unique even back then , but SOME before and after didn't ( or couldn't ) hide that imbalance ( remember we keep buying war machines at exorbitant prices )

Sorry the article has a pay wall when accessed through a link, but it confirms the Howard government did leave office with australia debt free and with a budget surplus.

Which gives credibility to a digital system where every bit can be traced, rather than just printed, probably another thread.
no it is the intent and follow through , of limiting the resource ( asset ) as soon as your realize they will print more than they can ever repay ( or even service the interest on the debt ) it is game over , serious investors will shun it with malice

tracing it is irrelevant , if you can just go back and make more anytime you like ( without repaying existing debt loads )

i could borrow 80% of the value of a building IF the lender thinks i way repay the capital lent in a timely manner , some will even lend if they think i can repay the interest and then extend ( roll-over ) the loan , but no smart lender will give you the loan if they are sure you can not keep up with the interest payments ( unless they are certain the property value will be much greater when you default )

with currency ( in the West currently ) someone just taps on a keyboard , with no care about balancing out past obligations ( it doesn't matter so much where it is , rather will it come back in a timely manner )

otherwise your credibility is just rubbish

Spent the surplus electioneering and lost his seat from memory
I thought he put some of it, into starting the Future fund, Australia's first sovereign wealth fund, but I could be wrong.
Thought it was still going and actually travelling o.k.

I am of the understanding that Fortescue mines iron ore.
Yes that's true, we're side tracked again, wish politics stayed over in general chat. :xyxthumbs
Maybe @Joe Blow wouldn't mind moving or deleting the posts, if he has time.

Mate, if you want to see a thread go off topic quickly visit the FMG thread.

Gold, Australian history, members' haemorrhoids, politics.

It is all here. I've had to block some of the main culprits.

Can we stick to FMG on the FMG thread or at least Iron and Hydrogen and could those who want to discuss something else just f*** off to the relevant thread.

gg