Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

If there is hills it will use more energy on the way up and recover power on the way down, Ev trucks will deal with it better than diesels.

There is actually electric mining truck in Europe that has been running for years without needing to be charged, because the mine in uphill of where it drops it’s load off, it charges as it brings the load down hill using regen braking, and uses less energy on the up hill when it’s empty.

Plenty of diesel/electric haulpaks in operation even at twiggys

On all this stuff I think Twiggy's really just a pragmatic businessman and a pretty successful one at that.

Yes he's keen on hydrogen and everything associated with it.

But then he's put $250 million into an LNG import terminal in NSW and since the core component is floating, being literally a ship, it could simply be disconnected and sailed away under its own power should the local market no longer require it or politicians become difficult. It's an investment with a means of escape and recovering at least part of the cost should the need arise.

So overall he's got a finger in many pieces of the pie. :2twocents

Still positive. Approaching resistance, but if it goes according to the script, may not be a problem.

View attachment 135580
Just goes to show - have faith in your charts. Maybe it wasn't a problem, just a test of resolve. Update on previous chart.

fmg 08022022.jpg

interesting to see FMG currently down

Last Price (AUD)$21.395

Today's Change Down $0.835 (3.76%)

now i have a top up order in @ $18.50 , which i nearly canceled yesterday .. can i get $18.50 cum dividend ??

DYOR

( am stilling GUESSING it will pay a $1 div. this time around )

There was a very sharp change in sentiment across FMG, BHP and RIO from about midday. Not sure what happened to spook the market. I wonder if COVID infections have compromised mining operations ?

interesting to see FMG currently down

Last Price (AUD)$21.395

Today's Change Down $0.835 (3.76%)

now i have a top up order in @ $18.50 , which i nearly canceled yesterday .. can i get $18.50 cum dividend ??

DYOR

( am stilling GUESSING it will pay a $1 div. this time around )

What is the very latest day to pick some up to count for the coming divy?

Don't want to spoil my average down price of 17 but hell getting ripped off on bank interest

What is the very latest day to pick some up to count for the coming divy?

Don't want to spoil my average down price of 17 but hell getting ripped off on bank interest
looks like it goes ex-div. around the 1st of March BUT it will have to declare the div. first so , that should be SOON

from the January Quarterly

• Guidance for FY22 shipments of 180 - 185mt and C1 cost of US$15.00 - US$15.50/wmt. Cost guidance is based on a revised average exchange rate assumption of AUD:USD 0.72

so am not sure what the gossip is about an iron ore price collapse ( i think BHP digs it up at closer to $US 20 a metric tonne )

There was a very sharp change in sentiment across FMG, BHP and RIO from about midday. Not sure what happened to spook the market. I wonder if COVID infections have compromised mining operations ?
Appears that there were rumours of Covid infections amongst the workforce, disrupting production. Obviously not true seeing it is going up against the market today.

FMG announced plans to develop a massive renewable energy hub to power to mining operations. Totally overshadows all the current PV/Wind projects currently in operation in WA.

I think the next cab off the ranks will be some sort of green bond investment program to finance these projects. Estimates are that the Pilbara build will cost $10Billion.

Fortescue unveils plans for massive 5.4 GW renewable energy project in Pilbara

Mining giant Fortescue Metals Group has unveiled details of a massive 5.4 GW solar PV, wind and battery energy storage project it plans to build to power its iron ore mining operations in Western Australia’s north-west.

Good article @basilio , it also supports what has been suggested in the power generation thread, that to have a sustainable power supply from renewables approx twice as much storage than generation is required.
By the way 9GW of batteries, on current prices, would be really expensive. So $10billion, wouldn't be out of the ballpark, that's for sure.

The proposal is to construct and operate a renewable energy hub comprising an enormous 3.33 GW solar farm and a 2.04 GW wind farm spread across approximately 10,000 hectares. The hub would also include a battery with a storage capacity of 9.1 GWh.

FMG announced plans to develop a massive renewable energy hub to power to mining operations. Totally overshadows all the current PV/Wind projects currently in operation in WA.

I think the next cab off the ranks will be some sort of green bond investment program to finance these projects. Estimates are that the Pilbara build will cost $10Billion.

Fortescue unveils plans for massive 5.4 GW renewable energy project in Pilbara

Mining giant Fortescue Metals Group has unveiled details of a massive 5.4 GW solar PV, wind and battery energy storage project it plans to build to power its iron ore mining operations in Western Australia’s north-west.

I don’t think this project would require the Green Bonds, it mentions work will progress over several years, so I think they could pretty easily cashflow the capital spending required from retained earnings and utilise some of their existing undrawn debt facilities if additional cash is required.

Where I think they will use green bonds and other funding will be any of the large stand alone green energy projects that is separate from their mining operations.

They say they will commit 10% of their earnings to mining projects and 10% to energy investments (other 80% dividends), but this project is technically both because it’s an add on to their exisiting mining infrastructure, so they could commit all retained earnings to it for now.

Good article @basilio , it also supports what has been suggested in the power generation thread, that to have a sustainable power supply from renewables approx twice as much storage than generation is required.
By the way 9GW of batteries, on current prices, would be really expensive. So $10billion, wouldn't be out of the ballpark, that's for sure.

The proposal is to construct and operate a renewable energy hub comprising an enormous 3.33 GW solar farm and a 2.04 GW wind farm spread across approximately 10,000 hectares. The hub would also include a battery with a storage capacity of 9.1 GWh.
Yep, the more storage you have the less you will need to rely on gas generation for back up, and the less you will have to idle back generation when the wind and the sun are both producing.

And 9 GWH is really on the light side of things, after a windless night or 2 you are running empty.
There is an optimal economic return on storage capacity and that's probably it, but that would be too light to provide continuous operation which is hugely different.
Make sense economically/as a business as long as not sold as 100%renewable energy
aka we can stop the coal/gas power stations as we do not need them ?

yes holders will have to be careful about that , sure SOME will not be so desperately needed at FMG now the iron project is toddling along just nicely , and other skills/expertise needed

but yes the brain drain should be watched carefully ( several other big rivals will be after accomplished management )

yes holders will have to be careful about that , sure SOME will not be so desperately needed at FMG now the iron project is toddling along just nicely , and other skills/expertise needed

but yes the brain drain should be watched carefully ( several other big rivals will be after accomplished management )
Good points div4, as you say the skill set once everything is running is quite different to those when building up.
Also the skills required in the renewable space, will be different from those in raw materials development, a geological background isn't overly useful in an electrical power flow analysis.
So as you say, it will be interesting to watch, the skill sets employed to fill the vacated positions, if they are filled at all.