Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Does anybody here watch the Aunty?

Reactions
I'd think not with the lack of posts on the brilliant doco last Sunday 'Building the Bridge' and 4 corners' report last night on the virtual reality world Second life.

Building the bridge discussed some fascinating history I never learnt at school with NSW was on the brink of civil war. The premier Jack Lang on the left side of politics and the New Guard facist sympathisers whose biggest claim to fame was De Groot cutting the ribbon during the opening.

2nd life believe it or not has a virtual stock exchange - owned by a Melbourne stock broker. Cost him $260 to setup and was offered US48K for it in a space of 6-12 months. Has about 10 stocks trading on it :)

trading_rookie said:
the brilliant doco last Sunday 'Building the Bridge' .. Building the bridge discussed some fascinating history I never learnt at school with NSW was on the brink of civil war. The premier Jack Lang on the left side of politics and the New Guard facist sympathisers whose biggest claim to fame was De Groot cutting the ribbon during the opening.
you'll right, rookie !! - that was a ripper program wasn't it ? - never realised the politics of the day was so black and white. - Lol and Lang had to rob the bank to stop the money being repaid to England lol. (at least deferring payment so that construction could continue - as I recall the story) - seriously determined man. The squarest damned jaw in the business you'd have to say.

Likewise the Opera House was the brainchild of Labour. Just shows that Labour still have the more highly developed "edifice complex".

Yet only the briefest mention of Jack Lang in Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Harbour_Bridge
The bridge was formally opened on 19 March 1932. Amongst those who attended and gave speeches were the State Governor, Sir Philip Game, the Minister for Public Works, and Ennis. The Premier of NSW, Labor politician Jack Lang, was to open the bridge by cutting a ribbon at its southern end.
However, just as he was about to do so, a man in military uniform moved forward on horseback and slashed the ribbon with a sword, declaring the bridge to be open "in the name of His Majesty the King and the decent and respectable citizens of New South Wales". He was promptly arrested. The ribbon was hurriedly retied and Lang performed the official opening ceremony. After he did so, there was a 21-gun salute and a RAAF flypast.

The intruder was identified as Francis de Groot. He was convicted of offensive behaviour (he was fined £5)after a psychiatric test proved he was sane. De Groot was not a member of the regular Army but his uniform allowed him to blend in with the real cavalry. He was a member of a right-wing paramilitary group called the New Guard, opposed to Lang's leftist policies. This incident was one of several that Lang had with the New Guard in that year.

A similar ribbon-cutting ceremony on the bridge's northern side by North Sydney's mayor, Alderman Primrose, was carried out without incident. It was later discovered that Primrose was also a New Guard member, but his role in and knowledge of the de Groot incident, if any, are unclear
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Cahill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Opera_House
John Joseph Cahill (21 January 1891 – 22 October 1959) was Premier of New South Wales from 1952 to 1959. He is best remembered as the Premier who approved construction on the Sydney Opera House, and for his work increasing the authority of local government in the state.

Joe Cahill as he was popularly known, was born in Redfern, and was educated at Marrickville Convent and the Patrician Brothers' College, both in Sydney. He became an apprentice at the Eveleigh workshops of the contemporary equivalent of NSW RailCorp in 1916. Politically active even at the age of fifteen, he was even more politically active during his twenties. He opposed Conscription in 1916, and lost his railway job in 1917 after taking part in a workers' strike. Cahill had difficulty finding permanent employment afterwards, working in many small jobs (including selling insurance for a year) until 1925, when he successfully ran for Parliament for the seat of St. George in New South Wales on an Australian Labor Party ticket.

..... Cahill succeeded McGirr as New South Wales Premier in 1952, and held the position until his death in office. He won the state elections of 1953, 1956, and 1959. It was in November 1954 that he first began to champion the idea of an opera house in Sydney, though the building was not completed and opened to the public until fourteen years after he had died
Good ole Aunty - best damned 8 cents I spent today that's for sure!!
Lol - and only idiots like Santoro can fault it!! (900 questions in enquiry into ABC by senate committee or whoever) . what a deplorable person.

Attachments

• degroot.jpg
    degroot.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 750
  • pheasant.jpg
    pheasant.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 603
Another Great series by Ricky Gervais - Extras finished last night.

Cant wait until his next offering.

BradK said:

I'm with you BradK.........didn't know it was the last episode though :(

MB

BradK said:

One to go it seems...

Attachments

• pic2.gif
    pic2.gif
    56.9 KB · Views: 720
Catalyst was great tonight, "The Science of dating". Good stuff.

BradK said:

Absolute magic - his characters are unlike any other on TV!!!

The episode about Ronnie Corbett and the Award night was wonderful.

As good as The Office was - I think his character of Andy Milman in Extras was even better. By the end of the series Andy had grown and developed more. His constant battle between obtaining critical success from his peers and TV's elite on one hand and his spreading fame among the "stupid people" was wonderful. Unfortunately the series was just hitting its straps.

Duckman

I wrote letters of protest when "Backberner" finished.

Try never to miss the 7.30 Report.

I can't imagine life without ABC Radio even more than TV.

Julia said:
I wrote letters of protest when "Backberner" finished.

Try never to miss the 7.30 Report.

I can't imagine life without ABC Radio even more than TV.

Yeah Julia - I must admit I'm an ABC Radio junkie. I particularly love tuning into "Tony" and "The Nightlife".

By the way what is Tony's story? He talks about his "partner" a lot (and also his cat - Barbara). Married? Gay? Not that it matters but I'm just curious.

Duckman

Duckman#72 said:
Yeah Julia - I must admit I'm an ABC Radio junkie. I particularly love tuning into "Tony" and "The Nightlife".

By the way what is Tony's story? He talks about his "partner" a lot (and also his cat - Barbara). Married? Gay? Not that it matters but I'm just curious.

Duckman
Hi Duckman,

Yes, I think a lot of people are curious. I remember one night a caller actually said "you're not married, are you Tony?" and he said "Yes, I am".
Another time he clearly said that he didn't have children.
He also frequently refers to "we went to such and such a restaurant" etc. I guess he just prefers to keep his personal life separate from his public persona, the cat being the exception.

I have been listening to him for many years and still wouldn't be able to guess which he would vote. The mark of a good radio presenter.

Cheers
Julia

Lol and Lang had to rob the bank to stop the money being repaid to England lol. (at least deferring payment so that construction could continue - as I recall the story) –

I think payment was completed in 1986. Don’t forget though Bradfield harrassed whoever was running the state back then. So it was the conservatives who allowed him to construct his railway tunnels and knock down whatever was in the way. While it was Lang who did give him the go-head, it was the conservatives who initially said yes, but then withdrew because WWI broke out. We should be thanking the conservatives for this otherwise we wouldn’t have the hanger, we’d have some crappy looking suspension bridge ;-) I feel sorry for those middle-class who lost all because Lang allowed the unemployed to live rent free during the depression. Typical politics, can’t please all the ppl all of the time…

Can’t understand why it’s taken until the 75th birthday of the bridge for info re: the New Guard to be made available? While the rest of the world airs out it’s dirty laundry – both ‘left’ and ‘right’, it’s taken an ABC doco for most of us to hear this for the first time. I mean, we’re a stable democracy, it’s not like news re: them is gonna cause a mass sign up to a Newer Guard.

Ps – Good to see Aussie Bradfield and not pommie Freeman credited with the bridge.

Are you havin' a laugh? Sorry couldn’t resist! I’ve been to ABC shops twice asking when the second series is available on DVD and nothing! I’d love to see ‘When the whistle blows’ made into a six part series.

He’s actually in the US at the moment on a comedy tour (David Letterman show) hope he comes down under. I have Animals and Politics on DVD, bloody brilliant!

Kath and Kim are starting production on season 4 – although it appears it won’t be picked up by the ABC.

Also, spooks is on tonight – great UK spy show. And chasers is back on next Wednesday!!!

Pity that both major parties felt that the Glass House should go…there’s irony there ;-)

For all those history buffs (like me) Part 2 of building Australia is on this Sunday at 7:30 AEST. Never knew about this either, the planning and building of a major water pipe from ‘Australia’ to ‘Western Australia’…

Rookie, origins - seems that Francis Greenway first recorded idea - so the convicts take the credit! lol - No-one had a vote in those days !! :) .
(PS, you're right, competitions in 1900 - subsequently put on indefinite hold etc). http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/...ory/HistoricBuildings/SydneyHarbourBridge.asp

To get a feel of the mood of the people at the time... here's a poem written by CJ Dennis soon after the bridge was opened. Poetic licence in this case includes the fact that Lady Macquarie's Chair faces South Head rather than back to the bridge lol - but I guess that's pedantry ;)

2020hindsight said:
http://www.bushpoetry.com.au/masterpoets/MasterPoetsHome/DennisCJ/tabid/682/Default.aspx

Here's one of Dennis's later posts ( must be ;) the Harbour bridge was only built in 1932 from memory - well after WW1 when he became famous anyways. Concerns a dream in which Dennis chats with Gov Phillip about Sydney's growth - while looking at the bridge from Lady Macquarie's chair . This is an excerpt only;)

I DIPS ME LID CJ Dennis, Except only.

I'd strolled about the town for 'arf a day
Then dragged me carcase round the 'arbor way
To view the Bridge from Dame Macquarrie's Chair
Then parks me frame, an' gits to thinkin' there-
Thinkin' of older days; an' I suppose
I must 'ave nodded orf into a doze.
Nex' thing I knoo, ole Phillip come an' sat
Beside me, friendly like, an' starts to chat.

"Young sir," 'e sez. "You, too, in sheer amaze
Look upon this, and hark to other days,
An' dream of this fair city's early start.
In which ('e bows) I played my 'umble part-
My 'umble part - a flagpole an' a tent."
"Come orf!" sez I. "You was a fine ole gent.
Reel nob. I've read about the things you did.
You picked some site." ('E bows. I dips me lid).

"Young sir," 'e sez. "I've dwelt in spirit 'ere
To watch this city waxin' year by year:
But yesterday, from a mere staff, a tent,
Wonder on wonder as the swift years went-
A thrivin' village, then a busy town,
Then, as a stride, a city of renown.
Oh! what a wondrous miracle of growth
Think you not so?" "Too right," I sez. "My oath!"

"I've watched, young sir," 'e sez. "An' I 'ave feared
Sometimes; feared greatly when ill days appeared.
Yet still they fought and wrought. I had small need
To doubt the great heart of this sturdy breed.
Black war has come. Yet, over half a world,
Their sons into that bloody fray they hurled
And still they triumphed. Still their lodestar shone."
"Sure thing," sez I. " They kep' on keepin' on."

"Young sir," 'e sez. "The tears well in my eyes
When I behold von arch that cleaves the skies -
That mighty span, triumphant, where we view
My old friend Darwin's vision now made true:
'There the proud arch, Colossus-like, bestride
Yon glittering stream and bound the chafing tide!
'Twas so he dreamed a few short years agone.
Spoke truly, sir; they keep on keeping on." ... etc

Attachments

• harbourbridge.jpg
    harbourbridge.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 611
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/poetica/stories/2007/1837933.htm
"What I Heard About Iraq'
a radio summary of the progress of the Iraqi situation - from early days of the 2003 war to the third anniversary (remembering we are now coming up 4th anniversary) :(

Fairly long but worth a listen if you have 40 mins to spare - or just listen for 5 mins if you prefer (but gets good after 20-25 minutes). Full of typical quotes. eg

GWB:- "I dont give a flying f*** what the polls say, I'm the president, and I do whatever I goddam please - they don't know sh**!".

John Bolton (USA's UN delegate) : "there is no such thing as the United Nations, just a community that can be lead by the only real power that counts, USA".

Eliot Weinberger was born in 1949 in New York City. He's an essayist, poet, editor and translator. His work regularly appears in translation and has been published in some thirty languages. "What I Heard About Iraq' has been adapted into a play, two cantatas, a dance performance, and art installations. It has appeared on some 100,000 websites and was performed in nearly one hundred events throughout the world on 20th March 2006, the 3rd anniversary of the invasion.

Attachments

• poetica.jpg
    poetica.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 459
Rookie, origins - seems that Francis Greenway first recorded idea - so the convicts take the credit! lol - No-one had a vote in those days !!

Might have been the first recorded idea, but according to the doco ppl had been saying they needed a bridge since the first settlement.

I've noted you have an interest in poetry, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the poet and title of a poem I learnt back in high school. I thought it was called King Street - about the pawn shops and alcho's who frequented the Cross. I recall the name Kenneth Slessor as part of the ciriculum but the name of the above poet escapes me...please put me out of my misery! :)

Tuesday nights are a shocker..........how many more years do we have to be subjected to "The Bill".

Bring on Wednesday.

MB

The naomi tribute was a laugh, so too the analysis on today tonight and aca re: Mercedes Corby. Asking 'Judge' Enfield for a lend of his car was funny too :)

Part 3 of building Australia concludes this Sunday - the constructing of a telegraph line across Aus, very timely considering the current broadband debate :) Last weeks was very educational - got it wrong from the promo re: building a pipe from Australia to West Australia...was actually West Australia to an almost new state within WA called 'Aurilia' - sp?

Keep an eye out for 'Bastard Boys' the 1998 control of Australia's waterfronts, unions versus Chris Corigan and 'Curtin' - Australia's wartime PM.

you're right rookie, ripper of a program. ;)
don't know where else to post this so this will do :-
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200703/s1884808.htm Einfeld charged over fine claims
Police have laid criminal charges against retired Federal Court judge Marcus Einfeld. He has been charged with 13 offences, including perjury, perverting the course of justice and making and using false statutory declarations.

The charges were laid by detectives from Strike Force Chanter, who have been investigating allegations Einfeld gave false evidence when he successfully challenged a speeding fine in a Sydney court. Police say the charges relate to four separate traffic offences.

Einfeld has been granted conditional bail and will face Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court next month. He was issued with a speeding ticket in January last year, but told a court a friend was driving the car at the time. It was later reported the woman had died years earlier.

Blame game. Meanwhile the woman who originally supported Einfeld's version of events surrounding the speeding fine has revealed she is also facing charges over the matter. Angela Liati showed up at the Sydney Police Centre this afternoon. She appeared to blame the judge's former lover, Vivian Schenker, for what had transpired.

"Today's a sad day for society, when a vindictive and jealous woman destroys a man's life, the life of a man who's given his life to bettering humankind," she said
just shows you what can happen when yuo ignore a speeding ticket :eek: