Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

David Hicks protests

Reactions
Noticed the demo"s regarding hicks on the news, small turn up overall .

I don't recall him recanting anything .
Is he recalcitrant or just a dope ~ or both ?

Your thoughts please.

Bob

Re: Who cares .

chops_a_must said:
It goes against everything our "free" society is based on.
Hello Chops,

The above could have other meanings ?
Care to define yours.

Bob.

Bobby said:

Your thoughts please.

Bob
Bobby
Could be difficult if he never actually did anything apart from "training".
A bit like asking our soldiers to recant for following orders, yet never even fired a shot in anger.
The issue however is one of denial of rights.
No western country, apart from Australia, has allowed the US to try those that ended up at Guantanamo Bay.
If Hicks' crime needs to be tried, the weight of evidence should allow a just and fair trial in Australia.
Surely that's not too big an ask after 5 years of confinement.

Bob,

Hicks is undeniably foolish, to say the least. That said, he should not be incarcerated without charge for five years.

I do think his father has behaved with immense dignity throughout what must be a dreadful ordeal for him. He has been constant, but has refrained from hysteria. Compare his behaviour with that of the Corby Clan.

Julia

2020hindsight said:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/transcripts/s1709428.htm
ABC has the interview with Maj Mori if anyone is interested. - I like the man - especially as he is putting his career on the line over this moral stance he is taking. Which compares with no stance at all from Aus Govt moral or otherwise - just the "sounds of silence" from them - while Hicks gets the "hello darkness my old friend" treatment. rgds , 2020.
Here's a previous post on "corruption in Australia" thread - it includes a lead to an interview with Major Mori on Enough Rope.
As above, the man's giving up his career with the military to defend David Hicks. He deserves a lot of acculades does Maj Mori. :2twocents
As Wayne pointed out, other defence lawyers who defended for instance bin L 's driver, suddenly found their services with the military " no longer wanted"- and/or have "retured".

Re: Who cares .

Bobby said:
Hello Chops,

The above could have other meanings ?
Care to define yours.

Bob.
Well, you just can't lock people up without an actual charge being made against them.

The presumption of innocence until proof of guilt.

And another thing, any "crime" he may or may not have committed would have been done, or not done, in a country seperate from which he is being charged in. You can't steal someone from another country, and then try them on charges that aren't applicable to the country they were actually in.

And for christ's sake, he's an Australian citizen. If he actually has done anything wrong, he should be able to be tried here.

Bobby said:

Your thoughts please.

Bob

I have seen very little of Hicks regarding his terrorist links with the exception of a few shots of him holding a gun somwhere, supposed links of him to AQ training camps and the typical yada statements form US on his guilt by association etc.

I have yet to see anything that connects Hicks to an actual deed that links him to a terrorist act, just the potential that he could, ie hang with monkeys>must be a monkey. Wheres the reasonable doubt!. Since 9/11 and especially the histeria straight after, the US were quick to jump to the hang with monkeys>must be a monkey, typical of the hang with a red>must be a red, in the McCarthy era.

Regardless of all, Hicks was snatched from a foreign country benign to the US, transported to GB, which is incidently benign to the US and incarcerated in a process that seems benign to the US (or maybe not in Bush's Administration). What a Joke :eek:

As an Australian, I have always been and will continue to be totally disgusted at the Australian powers to be: lack of action, response, commitment and diligence they have shown to David and the US as his kidnappers/holders, without the due legal process that any Australian Citizen should be ensured/demanded from a foreign captor, by the Australian Government.

Hi Julia & Rob,

Both of you are decent humans , with philanthropist nature.
Wish the planet had more of your type.

Mr hicks is a muslim convert of deobandi, who is yet to say a denunciation of such !

Regards Bob.

I don't have an opinion on Mr Hicks. His father seems to be a good sort of a bloke and has conducted himself well.

Ideological dispositions of the malignant and benign kinds will do strange things to people -make of that what you like.

Were he a pom , he'd be home by now.
I seem to recall that his efforts to go down even this route have been actively frustrated by experts at the game of diverting the course of justice - rewriting the rulebook every step ofthe way. :2twocents

I understand that the US , UK and AUS contributions to Iraq are 100:5:1.
UK at least maintains some self respect, getting their Guantanamo prisoners home.
and I guess we are so insignificant we just tag along saying "yes sir yessir 3 bags full sir."
Funny, I thought we inherited the British legal system and sense of fair play / justice etc?

Or is it that we've gone in favour of rewriting the rulebook with each step (solitary confinement while we work out EXACTLY the type of military or civil judge that can hear this - only taken us 5 years so far !)

Better still (and very original), Canberra seems to be saying "don't even admit to having a rulebook on such matters" :(

not a word need be spoken,, in our language of dedication to uncle sam. :2twocents

Attachments

• wingsock 007 rdcd.jpg
    wingsock 007 rdcd.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 673
Don't worry.
Mr Howard will work something out with Bush just before the next election justifying his ghastly actions on this case.

Baa

Julia said:
Bob,

Hicks is undeniably foolish, to say the least. That said, he should not be incarcerated without charge for five years.

I do think his father has behaved with immense dignity throughout what must be a dreadful ordeal for him. He has been constant, but has refrained from hysteria. Compare his behaviour with that of the Corby Clan.

Julia
Julia,

You're right again. Hicks was unwise to have got involved in the first place. However, he is entitled to fair justice and five years in incarceration is a ridiculously long time. He should either be charged with unyet known offences or released immediately. On this issue, the Howard Government (and the US) has indeed been slack. I also feel sorry for Hick's family.

http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/staff/WilliamsG/
George Williams is the Anthony Mason Professor and Director of the Gilbert + Tobin Centre of Public Law at the Faculty of Law, University of New South Wales...
A barrister, ....(freedom of speech), the Hindmarsh Island Bridge Case (freedom from racial discrimination) and Plaintiff S157/2002 v Commonwealth (review of government action and the rule of law) and in the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal of Fiji, including in Republic of Fiji v Prasad (legality of the 2000 coup). ....
This bloke seems to be convinced that our laws on terror are little more than kneejerk reactions designed to placade the public.
For the paper you'll have to read the attached pdf file.
towards the end he says "If we strive for the illusory goal of full protection from terrporism, we risk doing even greater damage to our society and its freedoms and values."
BTW he doesnt mention Hicks here, but similar principles involved.

Attachments

• law on terror pg2.pdf
    69 KB · Views: 139
  • law on terror pg1a.jpg
    law on terror pg1a.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 665
2020hindsight said:
This bloke seems to be convinced ...
For the paper you'll have to read the attached pdf file.
I forgot to add that I attended the "Free David Hicks" Protest in Melbourne yesterday. About 5,000 people joined me in the heat and smoke, a good turnout considering the weather. It was a very peaceful protest. There are many other small "l" liberal types out there like myself, "soft" Howard voters, starting to take a stand on this issue. I notice that "The Age" here in Melbourne is leading the charge.

well done greggy
I meantto add under George Williams article...
BTW also - I believe this article also appeared in THE AGE recently.

PS I notice that Ruddock is promising he'll at least be charged with something "next year" lol - joke joyce. what a setup that bloke has found himself in. Talk about a fallguy for "collective inaction" .

2020hindsight said:
well done greggy
I meantto add under George Williams article...
BTW also - I believe this article also appeared in THE AGE recently.
Thanks mate. Sometimes you have to take a stand. One sleeps better that way.