Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Cashless society

It’s oversight of criminals that are on parole, that’s a good thing isn’t it?

I mean they put ankle bracelets on some of them, surely you are not against that.

The person in question did have the option of just staying in jail, but they agreed to the terms of parole willingly to avoid jail, and then willingly broke them… Dummy in my opinion.
It's on all of us.

I'm unsure of the direction of AI. It's not advanced enough just yet, but I'm wary of its capabilities if it goes wrong. I have no reason to believe it wouldn't be able to cripple the financial system. There's a lot of needs out there that want to push an "endgame" on the current state of world finances.

AI is a arms race that a lot of people don't realise is happening. Remember that whole "chips ban to China". Having the AI advantage is the reason. Super intelligence is an unknown. We can put safeguards in place, but we have no idea what it could potentially think of.

I'm not comfortable staying just digital till this thing plays out. It's fine at the moment, it's when advancements and buildouts start looking ominous.

I'm unsure of the direction of AI. It's not advanced enough just yet, but I'm wary of its capabilities if it goes wrong. I have no reason to believe it wouldn't be able to cripple the financial system. There's a lot of needs out there that want to push an "endgame" on the current state of world finances.

AI is a arms race that a lot of people don't realise is happening. Remember that whole "chips ban to China". Having the AI advantage is the reason. Super intelligence is an unknown. We can put safeguards in place, but we have no idea what it could potentially think of.

I'm not comfortable staying just digital till this thing plays out. It's fine at the moment, it's when advancements and buildouts start looking ominous.
We survived a nuclear arms race, I am not to worried about AI, sure the bad guys can use it but so can the good guys, it can cause problems, but it can solve problems.

Having been subjected to numerous KYC checks these past few years, I am becoming increasingly convinced that the 'powers that be' are committed to criminalising, those (plebs) daring enough to aspire to a wealthier class.

I find it disconcerting that our society is supporting policies forcing banks to interrogate their customers about the source of their income and/or wealth.

I think that the ATO gives a close look at banking inputs and outputs, though.
Not really, they get some macro data that autofills into parts of their system. But no person at the ATO is weeding through your accounts and seeing how many times you went to Starbucks this month.

No one is taking a close look at anything we do, except maybe our wives 😅

Not really, they get some macro data that autofills into parts of their system. But no person at the ATO is weeding through your accounts and seeing how many times you went to Starbucks this month.

No one is taking a close look at anything we do, except maybe our wives 😅
Well, mine trusts me so I don't have to keep looking my shoulder.

Having been subjected to numerous KYC checks these past few years, I am becoming increasingly convinced that the 'powers that be' are committed to criminalising, those (plebs) daring enough to aspire to a wealthier class.

I find it disconcerting that our society is supporting policies forcing banks to interrogate their customers about the source of their income and/or wealth.
I can’t say I have ever knowingly had a KYC check, as a matter of fact I just had to google it to find out what it even was, and I have definitely moved up to the wealthier class, and never been questioned on the way, I can’t say there is anything in our system that has stopped my upward mobility over the years. I think as your name suggests you are just. Wing cynical.

What are you doing that is making you get checked? I can understand that if you are behaving suspiciously you might get checked.

Well, mine trusts me so I don't have to keep looking my shoulder.
Same, but my point was simply that except for our wives, I don’t think anyway cares what we do, hopefully your wife cares about you 😅.

Eg. Some guys on here are acting like they are so interesting the government must be wanting to track everything they do, or is trying to hold them back in some way.

When in reality except for try to limit the amount of people ripping the system off or committing crimes, not one cares what you do.

Same, but my point was simply that except for our wives, I don’t think anyway cares what we do, hopefully your wife cares about you 😅.

Eg. Some guys on here are acting like they are so interesting the government must be wanting to track everything they do, or is trying to hold them back in some way.

When in reality except for try to limit the amount of people ripping the system off or committing crimes, not one cares what you do.
@Value Collector I reckon I am very fortunate in having a wife such as mine.
When I was badly injured 4 years ago she was at my beck and call day and night.
Never once did I hear her complain out loud what a prick I was being.
"For better, or worse", was well and truly activated in those months of great despair.

We survived a nuclear arms race, I am not to worried about AI, sure the bad guys can use it but so can the good guys, it can cause problems, but it can solve problems.
but which is which ( good and bad )

sometimes a 'bad guy ' is good guy with his/her sense of justice outraged ( and with the skills i have seen some 'good guys' demonstrate
that is spine-chilling )

but which is which ( good and bad )

sometimes a 'bad guy ' is good guy with his/her sense of justice outraged ( and with the skills i have seen some 'good guys' demonstrate
that is spine-chilling )
Yeah, no body in any conflict thinks that they are the bad guy, and in some sense they are right, because there aren’t any bad guys, there is just people with bad ideas, which cause them to do bad things.

But in reality, the “Bad guys” would be the ones who’s ideas are causing them to commit acts which reduce the wellbeing of society, and he good guys would be the ones that are acting in ways that maintain or improve the well being of society.

There can be arguments about what increases the wellbeing of society, but that largely comes down to rational debate, facts and science.

That’s the trouble with religions, they are the mother load of bad ideas and they squash debate, and deals in absolutes, which greats fanatics/badguys

I can’t say I have ever knowingly had a KYC check, as a matter of fact I just had to google it to find out what it even was, and I have definitely moved up to the wealthier class, and never been questioned on the way, I can’t say there is anything in our system that has stopped my upward mobility over the years. I think as your name suggests you are just. Wing cynical.

What are you doing that is making you get checked? I can understand that if you are behaving suspiciously you might get checked.
No cynicism required when actually subjected to at least 5 checks, 1 of which was covert (discovered sometime after the event) and the others overt. A number of the overt checks included threatened, and/or, actual suspension of service, until I'd answered their barrage of intrusive questions.

As to what I am doing that is causing such checks, most assuredly nothing of an unlawful nature, hence my scepticism about the true motivation behind that policy.

Suffice to say, unless extremely amateurish, terrorists, drug dealers and money launderers are unlikely to be detected, whereas the honest battlers thinking they've "nothing to hide", run the risk of being asked to prove themselves innocent of serious crimes.

No cynicism required when actually subjected to at least 5 checks, 1 of which was covert (discovered sometime after the event) and the others overt. A number of the overt checks included threatened, and/or, actual suspension of service, until I'd answered their barrage of intrusive questions.

As to what I am doing that is causing such checks, most assuredly nothing of an unlawful nature, hence my scepticism about the true motivation behind that policy.

Suffice to say, unless extremely amateurish, terrorists, drug dealers and money launderers are unlikely to be detected, whereas the honest battlers thinking they've "nothing to hide", run the risk of being asked to prove themselves innocent of serious crimes.
The cynical part is your claim that maybe it’s part of some conspiracy to keep you from rising to a wealthier class.

As I mentioned I have never had such problems, that what makes me wonder what you are doing differently that may be arousing suspicion, or it could be just random chance like getting pulled aside at airport security for a random check 5 times in a row, just bad luck or maybe you are acting shifty who knows.

The cynical part is your claim that maybe it’s part of some conspiracy to keep you from rising to a wealthier class.

As I mentioned I have never had such problems, that what makes me wonder what you are doing differently that may be arousing suspicion, or it could be just random chance like getting pulled aside at airport security for a random check 5 times in a row, just bad luck or maybe you are acting shifty who knows.
Legitimate transactions performed with legitimately acquired monies do not merit the interrogations to which I was subjected.

Those willing to operate outside the confines of the law are easily able to evade these processes, leaving the law-abiding members of society as the only people likely to be significantly impacted, hence my reason for considering cynicism to be truly warranted.

Just because one is committed to one's contrary viewpoint, does not entitle one to insinuate criminal or inappropriate behaviour, as such I find your post deeply offensive and potentially defamatory.

At this juncture, my commitment to free speech is the only thing preventing me from availing myself of the "ignore" facility of this forum.

I shall, however, be reserving my right not to engage with, or respond to, future insults.

I suppose when the Government holds the bank responsible for lending money to people who give false and misleading information, also hold them responsible for allowing people to give money to scammers and hold them responsible for fraudulent money laundering.

The banks are probably clumsy, while constantly trying to come up with ways to plug the holes for criminal, individual and Government incompetence. :roflmao:

Legitimate transactions performed with legitimately acquired monies do not merit the interrogations to which I was subjected.

Those willing to operate outside the confines of the law are easily able to evade these processes, leaving the law-abiding members of society as the only people likely to be significantly impacted, hence my reason for considering cynicism to be truly warranted.

Just because one is committed to one's contrary viewpoint, does not entitle one to insinuate criminal or inappropriate behaviour, as such I find your post deeply offensive and potentially defamatory.

At this juncture, my commitment to free speech is the only thing preventing me from availing myself of the "ignore" facility of this forum.

I shall, however, be reserving my right not to engage with, or respond to, future insults.
I assume it's the same person I have on ignore, for precisely the same reason.