Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Cashless society

Does that include debit cards?
The letter I received from the bank did not actually spell that out but this may be the legislation below.

Reading a bit deeper it seems that the forms of gambling with the highest deductions are acceptable, eg lotto has a 40% house rake so you can use a credit card for that.

Anything where a punter might actually be able to win has been limited and we can no longer refill with a credit card.

Rakes of 10% on footy or 5% on horses or 7% on Betfair are a no no but 40% is OK, I guess we know who did the best lobbying or made the most donations

<<Gambling reforms​

Ban on the use of credit cards for online wagering​

The ban will apply to Australian licensed wagering services. The ban will extend to credit cards and credit payments made via digital wallets.

The announcement implements recommendations from the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Corporations and Financial Services (the Committee) from November 2021. The Government response to the Inquiry(link is external).

Consistent with the Committee’s recommendations, lottery services, both for-profit and not-for-profit, will be excluded from the ban as they present a low‑risk to gambling harm.>>

Last edited:
The letter I received from the bank did not actually spell that out but this may be the legislation below.

Reading a bit deeper it seems that the forms of gambling with the highest deductions are acceptable, eg lotto has a 40% house rake so you can use a credit card for that.

Anything where a punter might actually be able to win has been limited and we can no longer refill with a credit card.

Rakes of 10% on footy or 5% on horses or 7% on Betfair is a no no but 40% is OK, I guess we know did the best lobbying or made the most donations

<<Gambling reforms​

Ban on the use of credit cards for online wagering​

The ban will apply to Australian licensed wagering services. The ban will extend to credit cards and credit payments made via digital wallets.

The announcement implements recommendations from the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Corporations and Financial Services (the Committee) from November 2021. The Government response to the Inquiry(link is external).

Consistent with the Committee’s recommendations, lottery services, both for-profit and not-for-profit, will be excluded from the ban as they present a low‑risk to gambling harm.>>

i hold TAH and TLC

hmmmm

is there an advantage is can exploit here

( buy extra of one but not the other )

i hold TAH and TLC

hmmmm

is there an advantage is can exploit here

( buy extra of one but not the other )

It does highlight the control that the Govt will have over everyone.

Imagine if a minority of zealots were to control the Senate, depending on just who that is........

Sorry, cannot put meat on CC

Sorry, cannot put alcohol on CC

Sorry cannot put cigarettes on CC

Sorry cannot fuel ICE vehicle on CC

Big Brother is becoming reality by stealth...................

Imagine if a minority of zealots were to control the Senate, depending on just who that is........

Sooner or later, people who aren't sniveling leftist brownshirts may have to choose a hill to die on, literally.

Cashless but not in the way being used right now, we will need some form of regulation, which is arguably considered evil but what's more evil is what alot of people do with crypto since it's anonymous, more people use it for bad than for good, it will make any sane person start to question whether completely decentralized completely anonymized is a good idea that humans "deserve".

Cashless but not in the way being used right now, we will need some form of regulation, which is arguably considered evil but what's more evil is what alot of people do with crypto since it's anonymous, more people use it for bad than for good, it will make any sane person start to question whether completely decentralized completely anonymized is a good idea that humans "deserve".
first off crypto is not so anonymous , there is extensive surveillance of the electronic communications network by the US and Australia and that is just inside Australia , do other foreign entities also have this comprehensive capability .inside Australia , maybe

remember TOR was developed by the US Navy for ultra-secret communications and that spawned the dark web

also central bankers ( in most nations ) live and breath .. control they will find a way to eliminate any rival to that control

@macca A few years ago there was a Tasmanian Senator who held all power as he had the deciding vote
Both sides were groveling at his feet to get their way. Was not a good look.

first off crypto is not so anonymous , there is extensive surveillance of the electronic communications network by the US and Australia and that is just inside Australia , do other foreign entities also have this comprehensive capability .inside Australia , maybe

remember TOR was developed by the US Navy for ultra-secret communications and that spawned the dark web

also central bankers ( in most nations ) live and breath .. control they will find a way to eliminate any rival to that control
There's the anonymous and not anonymous with crypto, it's all about proper research, otherwise those who commit data breaches would get caught yet most of them get away with it, there are definitely anonymous cryptocurrencies out there, alot of people just aren't ready to know how to maintain that anonymity

There's the anonymous and not anonymous with crypto, it's all about proper research, otherwise those who commit data breaches would get caught yet most of them get away with it, there are definitely anonymous cryptocurrencies out there, alot of people just aren't ready to know how to maintain that anonymity
Its spooky how so much crypto stuff is happening on...
YouTube

I received notification from a bank that in June there will be a new Govt regulation that states that no credit card can be used for gambling.

So that means that all gambling must be paid for in cash, putting Lotto in is going to be chaos for the first few weeks, pity the poor newsagents.

It also highlights just how invasive our Govt has become, if we are to ban gambling via CCs then it would imply that alcohol and Cigarettes must be next, as they do far more damage to society than gambling

I would also expect junk food to follow, this would need to be labelled or supermarket chaos would ensue, can I put rolled oats on my credit card ? What about fruit loops? Coca Cola?

An invasion of privacy and a nightmare for retailers just to satisfy smug, weak willed Know all, Know nothing ego maniacs
You can still use your card, you just have to press savings instead of credit.

You can still use your card, you just have to press savings instead of credit.

Until the wowsers decide that they want to stop that as well ☹️

It does highlight the dangers of a cashless society when Every transaction has to be approved by the thought Police before processing.

If it was me I would be stopping the purchase of Junk food and Coca Cola type products but imagine the uproar by the masses

Until the wowsers decide that they want to stop that as well ☹️

It does highlight the dangers of a cashless society when Every transaction has to be approved by the thought Police before processing.

If it was me I would be stopping the purchase of Junk food and Coca Cola type products but imagine the uproar by the masses
Well, Gambling is problem for a lot of people, I don’t think it’s a bad thing to try and deter people from going into to debt to gamble.

Gambling tends to affect the poorest people in the community too.

Well, Gambling is problem for a lot of people, I don’t think it’s a bad thing to try and deter people from going into to debt to gamble.

For many low income people it is their preferred form of entertainment, they see it as fun with a chance of winning.

They don't have hundreds of dollars to go to shows or the opera but they can go to the local club with their friends and have some fun

Often times that same club sponsors their kids sporting team

Good luck to them

For many low income people it is their preferred form of entertainment, they see it as fun with a chance of winning.

They don't have hundreds of dollars to go to shows or the opera but they can go to the local club with their friends and have some fun

Good luck to them
Its almost like your in a land of confusion

As well as having too many kids, next stage, euthanasia for ...fill the gaps
I do not like either how many sheeps vote labour and have a union membership.lets prevent that,
And paying funds for whistleblowers like Assange.. let's prevent that,oor punish these naughty truck drivers in Canada
Oops already done that
Cash gone, there is no more freedom.
no if or but...
Our western democracies are not worth saving
If we have to endup in a dictatorship give me Xi or Putin before a wet dream of Biden, any WEF watermelon or Macron...
At least, we will be hurting for the better of the country

As well as having too many kids, next stage, euthanasia for ...fill the gaps
I do not like either how many sheeps vote labour and have a union membership.lets prevent that,
And paying funds for whistleblowers like Assange.. let's prevent that,oor punish these naughty truck drivers in Canada
Oops already done that
Cash gone, there is no more freedom.
no if or but...
Our western democracies are not worth saving
If we have to endup in a dictatorship give me Xi or Putin before a wet dream of Biden, any WEF watermelon or Macron...
At least, we will be hurting for the better of the country
I’m not sure what that rant is all about.

Good luck to them
I actually think it’s a bit more sinister than that, I think the reason lower incomes tend to buy more lotto tickets and play the pokies more is because they often see it as their only hope of financial freedom.

But the odds are not in their favour, and it just keeps them poor, and it’s not fun losing which they always will, so it’s not great entertainment either, it’s short lived hope followed by regret.

I actually think it’s a bit more sinister than that, I think the reason lower incomes tend to buy more lotto tickets and play the pokies more is because they often see it as their only hope of financial freedom.

But the odds are not in their favour, and it just keeps them poor, and it’s not fun losing which they always will, so it’s not great entertainment either, it’s short lived hope followed by regret.
You are thinking like a person who is financially aware and has invested for their future.

We are in the minority, most people prefer to "stimulate the retail economy" and have a "good night out" as often as possible.

Just in my small circle of friends I have two families that are perpetually broke despite the fact that they have good jobs.

They know why they are broke, they just don't care about money