Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Cashless society

No, but I can still buy an IPhone789 with cash, or whatever the hell number they are up to now.

For now.
Yes but where do you send your cash, for the monthly phone plan? :roflmao:

If you don't have the plan, you are paying a lot for a useless piece of plastic.:eek:

You can still have a landline, the MIL does and she doesn't have a computer or use the internet, it's a bloody expensive phone. :whistling:

Yes but where do you send your cash, for the monthly phone plan? :roflmao:

If you don't have the plan, you are paying a lot for a useless piece of plastic.:eek:

You can still have a landline, the MIL does and she doesn't have a computer or use the internet, it's a bloody expensive phone. :whistling:
Well digital is fine, so long as there is still cash

Well one thing is for sure, they aren't going back to landlines and red phone boxes. :roflmao:
one of the first things organized when taking over this farm was the reactivation of the landline ( citing emergency medical needs )

it got some use today ( just not for medically urgent communications )

option C worked OK under pressure

The fallout from yesterday's Optus outage is gathering momentum.

Cashless Australia: Optus outage ‘proof’ Australia could be ‘doomed’
Some Aussies say the Optus outage highlights that “cash is king”.

As the fallout from the Optus outage continues, frustrated Aussies have warned the situation is proof Australia will be “doomed” if it becomes a cashless society.

Businesses across the country were brought to a halt due to the major outage, with those relying on the Optus network unable to use their EFTPOS machines and forced to revert to cash-only payments.

The debate has raged in Australia recently about whether we as a nation should be protecting our right to cash, with some businesses like a NSW KFC ditching it, and big banks upping fees and revealing the huge financial toll of cash management as they defend moving away from the form of payment.

But today proved that many Australians were simply not ready to go cashless, strengthening arguments it would take a methodical approach and serious consultation before it could become a reality.

Want Optus compensation? To find out more about your rights, check out our explainer here.

People were left in the lurch when arriving at stores who had plastered signs that they would not be able to take card payments.

“The #Optus outage this morning is exactly why we cannot go cashless. When the phone's are down, how are people going to pay for stuff?” one person said.

"Imagine having cashless [sic] in our country and having no internet access due to outage, we’re doomed,” another wrote.

“This Optus outage is proof that we are simply nowhere near ready for a cashless society. One major communications company going down, and half the country can't pay or process payments without cash,” another said.

Cash the ‘only reliable payment system’​

Jason Bryce, the spokesperson for the Cash Welcome campaign, said he was left “stranded” by today's Optus outage.

“Luckily, I had a $10 note in my pocket but [the] coffee shop had no change so [it was a] $10 coffee and a walk home for me this morning,” Bryce told Yahoo Finance.

cdc11fc0-7de6-11ee-b3ff-aaef7fbcfcf5.jpg
A number of businesses had to accept cash only today. (Source: Facebook/Cash is King)
Bryce is urging the government to step in and ensure Australians have access to cash, which he sees as “the only reliable payment system”.

This situation is getting serious. Our economy is becoming vulnerable and people are being left without the ability to make payments,” Bryce said.

“When cashless systems fail and all the local ATMs have been removed, a community is left fairly helpless.”

Last month, APRA confirmed 424 bank branches and 718 bank-owned ATMs had been shut down across Australia in the previous 12 months.

Australia’s systems are ‘fragile’​

Dr Paul Gardner-Stephen, Flinders University adjunct senior lecturer and Shuttleworth Telecommunications Fellow, said it was only when communications services failed that Aussies were reminded of the “fragility” of our modern systems.

“In the past, the workaround was to use cash. But, following the COVID pandemic, many people have switched to using non-cash payment methods, whether cards or their digital equivalents on their phones,” Gardner-Stephen said.

“But all those methods rely on the mobile communications networks to function: The EFTPOS machines in most stores are connected via the mobile phone network, for example.”

Those relying on one network are lazy.

Any critical function of any business needs a back up.

You are partly correct, but what you miss is that a business's EFTPOS facility has an inbuilt wireless network that is proprietary based and managed by the bank.

I own a business, I use Telstra for phone and internet at my bricks and mortar, The Telstra modem is a business type fiber to the node, with a built-in sim wireless backup. I also have my own backup modem with a different provider (saved me a few times) and also provides my mobile network for several business phones. There is a UPS battery backup for the PC system and the EFTPOS facility.

The POS facility I use (which I was told is the newest & greatest) is 4G with a 3G backup, there is no function to use your own internet connection, I presume that is because of security concerns.

Last edited:
Those relying on one network are lazy.

Any critical function of any business needs a back up.
just a lack of cynicism , i see it in computer networks all the time ( outsource , outsource , outsource is the current mantra )

great for my IT shares but i rescued the cash invested there before 2019 when 'cloud' gained traction , sold all my telecommunication shares where they operate in Australia

By Memory Tyro used it's own network.
Square plugged into the shops wifi.

My bank supplied POS also uses 'their own network' which I found out yesterday is a deal with Optus. Now that I think about it, what are the chances of a POS company setting up its own communication towers?

All my bank did was purchase or rent a network from Optus, and I would be pleasantly surprised if Tyro haven't done the same with another communications provider.

As for Square, connecting with the "shops wifi" is handy, though I'm not sure about the security of it all. I tried finding that out but a quick look on several of their pages revealed very little. I have looked into it at the beginning of the year, but it was another added cost and not really suited to my day-to-day business.

However, even with all that mentioned, what's stopping your shop Wi-Fi going down? How do you know that Tyro are not on the same network as your shop?

Some of the differences -

WiFi went down occasionally. Telstra got it straight back up again.
Mobiles with Vodaphone at the time. Could HotSpot. (Uber style Apps)

Nothing is 100% but if you have got a plan or a back up then your business is too reliant on one supplier of whatever to use.

WiFi went down occasionally. Telstra got it straight back up again.
Mobiles with Vodaphone at the time. Could HotSpot. (Uber style Apps)

Nothing is 100% but if you have got a plan or a back up then your business is too reliant on one supplier of whatever to use.

That's true. Just like the extra costs that a business must wear and pass onto the consumer.

I wonder what the big companies like Coles, Woolies and Bunnings do when their POS network go down. Do they have a backup?