Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Hear is the answer is Blowing......in the Wind:
From New York Times.

LONDON: Want to help fund the bank bailout, ease the California budget crisis and shore up strained U.S. finances? Legalize drugs, tax the trade and save on interdiction, domestic enforcement and the prison and court system.

I'm only partly joking.

It would not solve all of the United States' problems and, lord knows, it would cause some new ones, but the money is undeniably big enough to make a dent.

After all, it certainly helped President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who legalized alcohol in 1933 in the midst of the Depression and after more than a decade of Prohibition, thus bringing a half a billion in 1933 dollars into public coffers in the form of tax revenue. By 1936, alcohol taxes were 13 percent of U.S. federal revenue.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California has a similar opportunity. He is facing a $42 billion budget deficit, his prisons are filled to bursting, in substantial part with people in on drug-related crime, and he will soon be forced by judicial edict to start freeing people.
More Coverage
James Saft
Today in Business with Reuters
Government gives details of plan to support U.S. banks
Tax suspicions grow on Swiss accounts
As Latvian economy falters, unrest grows

He also has an offer from a group call Let Us Pay Taxes, which claims to represent the marijuana industry and is willing to pay $1 billion annually in taxes if only he would legalize. No doubt they are low-balling. The United Nations estimates the value of the U.S. cannabis market at $64 billion annually, while a paper by Jonathan Caulkins and Peter Renter calculates that about half of the costs of drugs are in one way or another attributable to factors linked to interdiction and its perils.

But even if you cut the UN number in half and tax it at only 50 percent, a lower tax than many states and localities put on tobacco, you would still get more than $15 billion nationwide. If California consumes its 13 percent share, in line with GDP, and I am betting it does, you are looking at something on the order of $2 billion, even before you take account of lower costs.

The Harvard economics professor Jeffrey Miron has a lower estimate, at $7.7 billion annually in lower spending nationally and $6.2 billion in extra revenues.

Of course, these figures could fluctuate wildly, depending on levels of compliance and market factors.

But why stop at cannabis? Just as Roosevelt decided that prohibition of alcohol was a failed policy the United States could no longer afford, perhaps the costs of rebuilding the U.S. banking system and lifting the country out of a severe recession will prompt another radical plan. I would not bet on it, but strange things are happening all over.

And if we start including other drugs the billions will only mount. There is another $100 billion in annual illegal drug sales in the United States outside of cannabis, which might produce another $25 billion annually in revenue by the same math. The U.S. government spent $13 billion on the drug war in 2002, not counting prison costs.

Then there are other costs of the U.S. drug interdiction efforts internationally, not least in Afghanistan, where opium revenue fuels the Taliban. The United States spends more than $1 billion a year there on anti-drug efforts, but opium money undoubtedly raises the total costs for the United States by much more.

The stream of income from all of this extending into the future is very valuable indeed and would go a way toward paying the price of fixing the banking system.

This brings us to another point of weakness for the United States; namely its ability to fund all of the costs it has already taken on and is likely to have to shoulder in the next several years.

Not long ago, Moody's credit rating agency did what everyone has pretty much taken for granted, acknowledging that the United States' AAA credit rating is being "tested" and falls into a category below those on the top shelf like Canada and Germany.

It is not all wine and roses, though. Cheaper legal drugs might lead to a spike in use, which might hit productivity and impose many costs, like higher health and other welfare costs.

All of those prison, military and law enforcement jobs are a huge source of stimulus, and the cutbacks implied by legalization would raise transitional problems.

Moreover, drug legalization, just as for alcohol, is essentially a moral and political decision about which reasonable people can disagree. It is also, to put it mildly, not very likely.

Still the war on drugs rolls on, costing billions, creating huge incentives for violence and crime, imprisoning hundreds of thousands and seemingly never much closer to victory. The waste and misery must make it rival the sub-prime bubble as a misallocation of resources.

Perhaps one stone would end up killing two birds.

Very well stage managed, the real experts opinions ?

I dont see US stocks going anywhere on that pep talk.

Did you notice the gold price fell - - and oil rose?

and most of our gold and oil stocks followed this pattern today?

An 'expert' in the WSJ yesterday foresaw gold rising to USD1300 within 6-12 months.
THAT would be the time to get out of gold as the economy was recovering! ;)

I have to say I had wondered how Osama bin Laden would have been frothing at the mouth over 'that speech'! ;)

Bush did well to keep Osama's spies out!
What a massive security exercise to protect members of both houses for this session!

Designation of the Presidential Address to a Joint Session of Congress as a National Special Security Event

... designated by Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.

Why? * anticipated attendance by dignitaries and the size and significance of the event.

- U.S. Secret Service assumes its legally mandated role as the lead federal agency.
- Federal resources deployed to maintain the level of security needed.

The Secret Service plans, coordinates, and implements security operations at designated NSSEs and, together with law enforcement, public safety, and military partners, develops the overall security plan.

The U.S. Capitol Police, the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department, and a number of other federal and local agencies played an active security role.

Assets from the Dep't of Defense, including the North American Aerospace Defense Command & the US Northern Command.

Since 1998 - 30 NSSEs, including, the 2008 DNC & RNC, the G20 summit and the 2009 Presidential Inauguration.

You are so positively negative! :confused:

I fully understand that this was not technically a State of the Union - but in effect it was the equivalent of one for a new President.

Do you not see real efforts being made? Would you really prefer McCain were at the helm? Or Bush? :eek:

No - Mitt Romney. He and Jindal will pick up the pieces of the New Jimmy Carter (Obama). Just like Ronald Reagan had to do in 1981. We will put an adult in charge then - unlike GWB or Obama.

The Republicans will sweep the House and Senate in 2010. The out of control spending is the talk of the U.S. This "stimulus" bill was a big mistake, just a pork laden Democrat wish list bill. You are not here, you don't see what is happening at the grass roots level. BO will be a lame duck in 2010, and back to Chicago in 2012.

The big news is that the Obamas have decided on a Portuguese Water dog for family pet and America's first dog.

This is confidence building news and should give the market a kick along.

I had to Google this breed. Apparently a bit like a water loving poodle.

Attachments

• sshot-1.png
    sshot-1.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 94
I have to say I had wondered how Osama bin Laden would have been frothing at the mouth over 'that speech'! ;)

Bush did well to keep Osama's spies out!
What a massive security exercise to protect members of both houses for this session!

Designation of the Presidential Address to a Joint Session of Congress as a National Special Security Event

... designated by Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.

Why? * anticipated attendance by dignitaries and the size and significance of the event.

- U.S. Secret Service assumes its legally mandated role as the lead federal agency.
- Federal resources deployed to maintain the level of security needed.

The Secret Service plans, coordinates, and implements security operations at designated NSSEs and, together with law enforcement, public safety, and military partners, develops the overall security plan.

The U.S. Capitol Police, the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department, and a number of other federal and local agencies played an active security role.

Assets from the Dep't of Defense, including the North American Aerospace Defense Command & the US Northern Command.

Since 1998 - 30 NSSEs, including, the 2008 DNC & RNC, the G20 summit and the 2009 Presidential Inauguration.

Doris, is there some deep significance to the underlying and bolding in your posts?

Me I'm a words man.

What is he saying he will do and what has he done to presuppose that he will do what he has said he will do?

I could put it in bold or underline it, but I'm a gint.

gg

gg, with apologies for my ignorance: what is a 'gint'?

PS I don't read anything with underlining. Might be a solution for you too?

I fully understand that this was not technically a State of the Union - but in effect it was the equivalent of one for a new President.

The Republicans will sweep the House and Senate in 2010. The out of control spending is the talk of the U.S. This "stimulus" bill was a big mistake, just a pork laden Democrat wish list bill. You are not here, you don't see what is happening at the grass roots level. BO will be a lame duck in 2010, and back to Chicago in 2012.

ZzzzDad if you'd read the thread you'd have realized my comment was related to MrBurns' denigrating presumption that the speech was made to converted fans whereas it was significantly to both houses of your federal gov't.
You are right of course that it was a pseudo state of the union address despite his having been in office only a month... (thus a month early) Did you note the new Israeli leader has six weeks to 'settle into office'?

You're on the page about the package being flagged as a wish list bill - most are from Obama's list of campaign pledges.
- he is putting up what he said he would despite the worsened economy. Not a mean feat!

What IS happening at the grass roots level that you alluded to?

I've seen interviews with young folk pleased that they've been able to buy a foreclosed house that was half the price it was a year ago. They felt sad for the previous owner but pleased they had a house they thought they would never be able to afford. The fear of losing your job must permeate the grass roots as is happening here now.

My BFF in Orange County is the sales manager for a company owned by a German:

I am working long hours - these idiots I work with seem to think that starting at 6AM and ending at 8 PM is normal and that a teleconference at 7 AM on a Sunday morning is normal - I am tired, irritated - none the less so that we are in a recession and everyone is taking advantage of the labor they 'own'. Slavery is alive and well. The difference between now and the Old South is that we choose who our slave owners are!

Have you noticed this 'slavery' in the workplace at grass roots level in your area?

Doris, is there some deep significance to the underlying and bolding in your posts?
Me I'm a words man.
What is he saying he will do and what has he done to presuppose that he will do what he has said he will do?
gg

GG - Simply to reduce the words needed to be read to get the significance of what went on behind the scenes.

What a huge operation and waste of money and resources to secure the house members and Obama from Osama!

Just sit back with your beer GG, have a snooze and don't worry.

ZzzzDad if you'd read the thread you'd have realized my comment was related to MrBurns' denigrating presumption that the speech was made to converted fans whereas it was significantly to both houses of your federal gov't.
You are right of course that it was a pseudo state of the union address despite his having been in office only a month... (thus a month early) Did you note the new Israeli leader has six weeks to 'settle into office'?

You're on the page about the package being flagged as a wish list bill - most are from Obama's list of campaign pledges.
- he is putting up what he said he would despite the worsened economy. Not a mean feat!

What IS happening at the grass roots level that you alluded to?

I've seen interviews with young folk pleased that they've been able to buy a foreclosed house that was half the price it was a year ago. They felt sad for the previous owner but pleased they had a house they thought they would never be able to afford. The fear of losing your job must permeate the grass roots as is happening here now.

My BFF in Orange County is the sales manager for a company owned by a German:

Have you noticed this 'slavery' in the workplace at grass roots level in your area?

Doris I am glad you have decreased the underlines and bolding in your latest post.

Your love for Obama is admirable.

Please give us some idea of measures we can use to assess his success in the enormous task ahead of him.

I have many employees who would endorse your comments on the workplace by the way. Good on you.

gg

Me I'm a words man.

gg

LOL; don't leverage up to 100% against the 'equity' in your house and you won't have to be a wage-slave.

Yes! How awful for those who feel they have to work like Japanese to keep their jobs and thus their homes!

I just wondered how many others were putting pressure on their employees - extra hours for no added $$. ZzzzDad?

Is this happening here? But then our unions demand PAID overtime don't they - unless you're on a salary!

In my BFF's case, they own 50 acres at Big Sur (Ted Turner has the next allotment up the hill), a house they own and rent out in OC, as well as the one they own and live in. So they are 'lucky'.

But it's a bit much when we can't have our weekly chat as she needs more yoga time due to company product stress!

What did I tell you ?

https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=402315&postcount=1642

Obama's rude shock to six-figure earners -

What everyone's overlooking in the new budget: a stealth tax on people making more than $250,000.
Shawn Tully, editor at large
February 27, 2009: 3:11 PM ET

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- During the presidential campaign, Barack Obama tempered his pledge to substantially raise taxes for high earners with an important proviso: He'd simply restore rates to their levels during the Clinton Administration. The implication was that families in the upper brackets would see their total tax bite go back to the levels of the 1990s, but no higher.

Now, it sure looks like Obama is reneging on that promise. The burden will indeed go far higher than in the Clinton years via a technicality -- one that will come as a rude shock even to the taxpayers already braced for a soaking.

The group that's hit hardest are the taxpayers I call the HENRYs, for "High Earners Not Rich Yet." The HENRYs are families who make between $250,000 and $500,000 a year. I wrote about the HENRYs in a Nov. 17 Fortune cover story, "Who Pays for the Bailout?" They're among America's most productive, hard-working citizens: our doctors, attorneys, architects, and entrepreneurs, the owners and builders of cleaning companies, delis and security franchises.

Though President Obama brands them as rich, they're usually far from it. "Rich" means personal wealth, or net worth, not income. These HENRYs are already strapped by a combination of high income taxes, soaring property tax levies, and college savings for the kids. Their chance of accumulating the couple of million dollars needed to qualify as rich were virtually nil even before Obama took the stage.

Now, their prospects are dimmer than ever, courtesy of a new, laser-like proposal specially designed to zap the HENRYs. Most of the 5 million or so HENRYs are trapped in the notorious parallel tax system, the AMT, or Alternative Minimum Tax. In fact, the AMT might be dubbed "the HENRYs' tax," since it's targeted to skip the middle class, but aimed straight at the $250,000-to $500,000 crowd. All taxpayers are required to calculate their liability two ways, under the regular tax system and under the AMT, and pay the higher amount.

The AMT was originally designed to prevent high earners from pocketing outsized benefits from big deductions, and the HENRYs have plenty of those deductions, especially state and local income taxes, and property taxes. Put simply, if the taxpayer has loads of deductions, they'll have to pay a lot more under the AMT than the regular tax system. That's why everyone who pays it hates the AMT.

The AMT, however, allows two principal forms of deductions, those for mortgage interest and charitable contributions. Guess what? Under his new plan, Obama is radically reducing the breaks that high-earners get from precisely those two tax breaks.

Here's how the HENRYs will get hammered. Say a family earns $300,000 a year, and pays $50,000 a year in mortgage interest; the family also contributes $5,000 to Boy Scouts, Red Cross and other charities. Under the AMT's top effective tax rate of 35%, they benefit from savings of $19,250 on those deductions.

But under Obama's new plan, the share of that $55,000 that HENRYs can deduct is no longer 35%. It's capped at 28%. Hence, their tax bill rises by almost $4,000. That's a jump in their marginal tax rate, the crucial share of an extra dollar of income they get to keep, from 35% to over 37%.

The limitation on deductions is scheduled to take effect in 2011, the same year Obama plans to raise tax rates back to their levels in the Clinton Administration. Amazingly, many HENRYs thought they wouldn't suffer much from the higher rates, since they were already paying more in the AMT than they would even under the new tax regime. Now, they're no longer protected. Their taxes will rise sharply, courtesy of this laser-like strike aimed straight at their wallets.

In light of the new tax plan, I think I'll change my acronym for the high earners to a Gallic version. Let's call them the HENRIs, "High Earners Not Rich Indefinitely."

Yesterday, President Obama submitted his first budget to Congress.

As the President said, the budget isn't just numbers on a page. It establishes our plans and priorities as we confront some of the longest-standing challenges this country has ever faced.

With this budget, President Obama is asking Washington to do something it rarely does -- look beyond the next election and take the long-term steps to ensure America's future strength and prosperity.

It will involve sacrifices and difficult decisions.

But it will also boldly invest in the three areas most critical to our economic future: energy, health care, and education.

Investing in a clean energy future will put America at the forefront of industry in the 21st century and create the jobs that will form a new foundation for the middle class.

Confronting the mounting cost of health care will put America back on a solid foundation so businesses can thrive and families can prosper.

Reforming and strengthening our education system will ensure American innovation and competitiveness well into the next century.

This budget isn't just a reflection of President Obama's priorities. It's a reflection of yours.

In the coming weeks, we'll be asking you to talk directly to people in your community, to build momentum and demonstrate the broad support President Obama has for this new direction.

David Plouffe
Campaign Manager
Obama for America

Brief video:

http://my.barackobama.com/thebudget

David is now campaigning for the next election!

The 'broad support' will be those who vote for Obama in 2012... as well as watching his implementations now.

2020 in case you're lurking...

Obama has today asked (Kansas governor) Kathleen Sebelius to head the Health and Human Services Department
- a major role to ensure all Americans have affordable health care.

Sebelius previously served as the Kansas insurance commissioner... the first to reject a proposed conversion of a non-profit Blue Cross Blue Shield into a for-profit company, slowing the pace of such conversions nationally.

Politically, she’s pretty savvy because she’s been trying to move a reform agenda thought a conservative state.

The Republican-controlled Kansas last year agreed to raise the income limit for the state’s subsidized insurance program for children whose parents earn too little to buy private coverage and too much to qualify for Medicaid.

The income limit for families of four was increased to $53,000 from $42,400.
The state still must find the necessary money to put the expansion into place but on Feb 5 Obama signed a law that more than doubles U.S. funding to about $12 billion annually from the current $5 billion.

She accepted, an administration official said. Obama will announce the nomination March 2 at the White House, the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said. Her nomination is subject to approval by the Senate.

I wonder if Obama will seek out the source of the 'anonymous leak'!

Saw an interview with Jim Rogers last night he blasted past and present Fed Reserve chiefs and Presidents for not understanding whats going on, Japan tried the bail out trick and it DOESN'T WORK.

The present strategy will only make things worse and they will get much worse.

Don't suppose we can expect anything more from KRudd, he's way out of his depth.

Go here -

http://news.sbs.com.au/dateline/

look at the right hand side see videos, Jim Rogers interview, stupid web site doesnt show direct links - worth a look - really...........