Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

No. It seems to be that Obama is actually quite unpopular with the african-american community. He is, and is regarded, as a silver bum. He wasn't exactly a child of hardship.

Chops, dont fall for the line that Baracks team is keen to push, that being he is not really black blah, blah. In reality the Barack team knows this plays well with the middle ground and that those blacks inclined to vote for a black man will not be put off by the ' he aint got slave ancestory '.

I agree with your other comments.

Doris, should he win in Iowa all it offers is focus of the press, it offers the winner credibility. Many have won Iowa and not even come close to winning the nomination. The exception will be Hillary - she will win Iowa....just.

Should Hillary win the nomination he will not be the Vice Presidential candidate - guaranteed.

Chops, dont fall for the line that Baracks team is keen to push, that being he is not really black blah, blah. In reality the Barack team knows this plays well with the middle ground and that those blacks inclined to vote for a black man will not be put off by the ' he aint got slave ancestory '.

I agree with your other comments.

Doris, should he win in Iowa all it offers is focus of the press, it offers the winner credibility. Many have won Iowa and not even come close to winning the nomination. The exception will be Hillary - she will win Iowa....just.

Should Hillary win the nomination he will not be the Vice Presidential candidate - guaranteed.

We shall see within an hour or two! Some polls have all 3 democrats neck and neck... some have Barack ahead. Some have Hillary coming third!

"A Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby poll showed senator Obama leading senator Edwards by four percentage points, 31 per cent to 27 per cent.

Senator Clinton, a former first lady who would be the first woman president, fell to a potentially damaging third at 24 per cent. The survey carries a statistical margin of error of plus or minus 3.3 percentage points.

While there is nothing technically preventing candidates who poll poorly from continuing on in the race, early disappointment usually send donors running to the frontrunners, making it virtually impossible for campaigns to stay alive.

For the winner in Iowa, the prize is valuable momentum and at least a temporary claim to the front-runner's slot in their party's nomination battle' "

25% have not made up their mind yet

Go Obama!:D

Waytogo! He did it. I knew that...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23005994-38198,00.html

Obama win shows he's a real contender

by Stephen Collinson in Des Moines

January 04, 2008 02:00pm
Article from: Agence France-Presse

VICTORY in the Iowa caucuses has sent Barack Obama rocketing into a new political stratosphere, after a stunning rise from unknown to hot tip for the possible Democratic nominee in less than four years.

His defeat of Hillary Clinton in the key state is a powerful vindication for the 46-year-old freshman senator's soaring message of hope and generational political change, which thrills huge crowds wherever he travels.

It also confirms senator Obama, son of a Kenyan father and white American mother, as a genuine contender for the Democratic nomination, boosting his quest to become the first black president of the United States.

Senator Obama's express charge to the top of US politics, has been built on dazzling rhetorical skills and blazing charisma and a flashing smile, and attracted legions of young supporters embittered by the grime of modern politics.

He exploded onto the scene with a stunning speech at the Democratic national convention in 2004, and drew immediate comparisions with civil rights pioneer Martin Luther King, and Democratic icons John and Bobby Kennedy.

Since then, he has developed his mantra of hope and change, and portrayed senator Clinton as a symbol of a fractured, political system desperate for renewal.

"There is a moment in the life of every generation when, if we are to make our mark on history, this spirit must break through," senator Obama said last week.

"This is the moment. This is our time."

Senator Obama often marvels at campaign events at how his life has changed, when just a few years ago he finished paying off his student loans and was able to shop for groceries in anonymity.

Now, he travels in Secret Service motorcades, jets around America trailed by a voracious media pack, and bears the political hopes of millions, in his crusade to do no less than redefine American politics.

After only two years in Congress, and time as a local legislator in Illinois, even senator Obama admits some see his campaign as premature. His latest book was called The Audacity of Hope.

Explaining why he did not wait his turn before running for president, senator Obama says he is driven by what King referred to as the "fierce urgency of now" - a fervent desire to ignite a grass-roots movement of political change.

He has often mused on the price he pays in running, given his idyllic home life with wife Michelle, and two young daughters Malia and Sasha.

Senator Obama has the best chance of all of the black Americans who have taken a run at the White House.

He bills himself as a spokesman for a new generation, implicitly separating himself from the civil rights leaders like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, whose past presidential runs foundered on a lack of appeal to whites.

Born in Hawaii in 1961, senator Obama had an intriguing view of mainland America as he grew up, spending large periods of time in Hawaii and Indonesia.

The product of a broken marriage between his Kansas-born white mother and Kenyan economist father, he was shuttled between homes as a boy.

He said life in Indonesia opened his eyes to the extremes of poverty and wealth around the world, and the wrenching effect of political upheaval on ordinary people.

"It made me mindful of the huge gaps in opportunity that exist in many countries of the world. It also made me appreciate how deeply impoverished people can be - how issues of corruption can thwart opportunity," he said.

After graduating from high school, he attended Columbia University and then went to the elite Harvard Law School, where he was the first black American to hold the prestigious post as president of the influential Harvard Law Review.

While in university he also worked as a community organiser in New York's Harlem and Chicago's South Side, two of the country's toughest neighborhoods, all the while starting a family.

He plunged into politics in the midwest state of Illinois as a civil rights lawyer, spending three terms in the state senate before jumping at the chance to run for the US Senate in 2004 when a vacancy opened up.

His electrifying convention speech put the world on notice of a rising political star.

"There is not a black America, and a white America, a Latino America, and Asian America - we are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America," he declared to roaring applause.

Wasn't Abe Lincoln a senator from Illinois?

Didn't he say 'We are not a Black America and a White America!

We are the United States of America!' in his speech for the primaries??!!!!!!!

When I read his book 'The Audacity of Hope' a year ago, in Canada where I first heard of him, I knew Barack Obama could unite the ethnic factions in the US.

This is good news people! Glenfiddich for all! :D

IS THIS A JOKE? Huckabee to replace Bush? Omigod! :(

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23005980-38198,00.html

Barack Obama, Mike Huckabee win Iowa vote

From correspondents in Des Moines

January 04, 2008 01:46pm

ILLINOIS Senator Barack Obama beat his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton in the Iowa presidential caucuses, while Republican Mike Huckabee has come from nowhere to win over Iowans.

Mr Obama, 46, who has created a sensation since bursting onto the US political scene in 2004, had won some 36.37 percent of the vote for the Democratic presidential nomination, according to the website www.iowacaucusresults.com.

Coming in second was John Edwards with some 30.47 percent with some 80 percent of the 1781 precincts having tallied their votes, the website said.

Hillary Clinton, the former first lady, was trailing in third with 30.15 percent.

God-fearing ordained Baptist preacher Mike Huckabee pulled off a stunning upset in the first lap of the 2008 White House race to come from nowhere to win the Iowa caucuses.

With little money in his campaign coffers and no foreign policy experience, Mr Huckabee relied on his famous wit and his Christian faith to win over the notoriously independent-minded Iowans.

In just weeks, the 52-year-old former Arkansas governor went from being a rank outsider with just four per cent support to securing the all-important first nod for the Republican ticket in November's presidential polls.

His main rival, former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney threw millions of dollars of his own money into the Iowa race in a bid to rein in Mr Huckabee's surge. But he had to settle for second place.

"Congratulations to Mike and we'll go on to New Hampshire," Mr Romney said on Fox News.

Mr Huckabee, who has built his campaign on the slogan "Faith. Family. Freedom", powered to victory partly by exploiting discontent among Christian conservatives at the splintered Republican field.

His brand of populist politics - vehemently opposing abortion, any tightening of gun control laws and urging tougher immigration rules - hit home here.

The wise-cracking, guitar-playing Mike Huckabee, who says he believes every word written in the Bible, also relied on his folksy charm in the battle to win over voters.

His solution to stemming illegal immigration for instance would rely on sending in his star supporter, the karate-kicking television actor Chuck Norris, he quipped.

But some of his views plunged him into hot water. He became embroiled in a row over comments he made in 1992 suggesting AIDS patients should be quarantined, later telling Fox News he would probably "say things a little differently" now.

And Huckabee was also forced to apologise to Mr Romney for an implied attack on the latter's Mormon faith when he was quoted in the New York Times magazine saying "don't Mormons ... believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"

Despite his Iowa triumph, Mr Huckabee still remains a long shot for the Republican nomination with all eyes now be on the more liberal New Hampshire, which holds the first primary vote on Tuesday, and where his Christian-based politics may find less resonance.

However, the one-time rank outsider is now increasingly being mentioned as a possible vice-presidential pick.

IS THIS A JOKE? Huckabee to replace Bush? Omigod! :(

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23005980-38198,00.html

Barack Obama, Mike Huckabee win Iowa vote

From correspondents in Des Moines

January 04, 2008 01:46pm

ILLINOIS Senator Barack Obama beat his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton in the Iowa presidential caucuses, while Republican Mike Huckabee has come from nowhere to win over Iowans.

Mr Obama, 46, who has created a sensation since bursting onto the US political scene in 2004, had won some 36.37 percent of the vote for the Democratic presidential nomination, according to the website www.iowacaucusresults.com.

Coming in second was John Edwards with some 30.47 percent with some 80 percent of the 1781 precincts having tallied their votes, the website said.

Hillary Clinton, the former first lady, was trailing in third with 30.15 percent.

God-fearing ordained Baptist preacher Mike Huckabee pulled off a stunning upset in the first lap of the 2008 White House race to come from nowhere to win the Iowa caucuses.

With little money in his campaign coffers and no foreign policy experience, Mr Huckabee relied on his famous wit and his Christian faith to win over the notoriously independent-minded Iowans.

In just weeks, the 52-year-old former Arkansas governor went from being a rank outsider with just four per cent support to securing the all-important first nod for the Republican ticket in November's presidential polls.

His main rival, former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney threw millions of dollars of his own money into the Iowa race in a bid to rein in Mr Huckabee's surge. But he had to settle for second place.

"Congratulations to Mike and we'll go on to New Hampshire," Mr Romney said on Fox News.

Mr Huckabee, who has built his campaign on the slogan "Faith. Family. Freedom", powered to victory partly by exploiting discontent among Christian conservatives at the splintered Republican field.

His brand of populist politics - vehemently opposing abortion, any tightening of gun control laws and urging tougher immigration rules - hit home here.

The wise-cracking, guitar-playing Mike Huckabee, who says he believes every word written in the Bible, also relied on his folksy charm in the battle to win over voters.

His solution to stemming illegal immigration for instance would rely on sending in his star supporter, the karate-kicking television actor Chuck Norris, he quipped.

But some of his views plunged him into hot water. He became embroiled in a row over comments he made in 1992 suggesting AIDS patients should be quarantined, later telling Fox News he would probably "say things a little differently" now.

And Huckabee was also forced to apologise to Mr Romney for an implied attack on the latter's Mormon faith when he was quoted in the New York Times magazine saying "don't Mormons ... believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"

Despite his Iowa triumph, Mr Huckabee still remains a long shot for the Republican nomination with all eyes now be on the more liberal New Hampshire, which holds the first primary vote on Tuesday, and where his Christian-based politics may find less resonance.

However, the one-time rank outsider is now increasingly being mentioned as a possible vice-presidential pick.

It is frightening that a bible beater can gain so much support. I don't know if that's a reflection of the weak opposition or a weak minded population or both. Anyone who admits to believing every word of the bible should be committed. Sign of the times perhaps?

It is frightening that a bible beater can gain so much support. I don't know if that's a reflection of the weak opposition or a weak minded population or both. Anyone who admits to believing every word of the bible should be committed. Sign of the times perhaps?

Well done Doris, you picked the winner of Iowa.

Huckabee, is a nice guy and that could translate to votes in the more important states, but they are alot less religous that in Iowa. I expect Romney and McCain will do better there.

Huckabee, is a nice guy and that could translate to votes in the more important states, but they are alot less religous that in Iowa. I expect Romney and McCain will do better there.
I hope so. I didn't think anyone could be worse than George W. but this bloke seems even more wacky.

Yahoooo!

D

:D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, 4 January 2008 3:01 PM
To: Doris Freeman
Subject: Turn on your television

Doris --

We just won Iowa, and I'm about to head down to talk to everyone.

Democrats turned out in record numbers tonight, and independents and even some Republicans joined our party to stand together for change.

Thank you for everything you've done to make this possible.

Barack

Paid for by Obama for America

This email was sent to: doris.*******@bigpond.com

It was pretty frightening when I talked with locals in Texas in Feb. (Huston, Galveston) They all said the US went into Iraq to stop the terrorists after 9/11. One man raised his voice to me and denied oil had anything to do with it! In this day and age!
They loved Bush: "He's a good bible-fearing man".

I don't feel comfortable with religious fanatics who preach kindness and love yet believe 'an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth'. Guess they're the old testament kind. Gives me a shudder as I recall Richard Dawkins' doco on the rise of mass religious hysteria in the US. They get lonely people who need to feel they belong in a group like sects of old. They were so biased and unforgiving of people who were not 'in their group'. 'If you're not with us then you're against us!' Compassion? It seemed so extremist. I'm not saying Huckabee is one of these fanatics but maybe they would support him.

Good to see that the young are getting out to vote! Do you know they vote on the second Tuesday of November? This is a work day and unless their employer gives them time off to go vote, most people don't bother. After work it's cold and they just want to get home!

David E Kelly has done a lot with his show Boston Legal... with Denny often reflecting what the world thinks of their country (government). Don't know why they have it on so late here!

But we shall see what happens next Wednesday... Tuesday US time.

The poorer people become the more they turn to religion to give them hope. There are many poor people in the US. When religion and soveriegnty become aligned it is a dangerous situation

it's going to be interesting in New Hampshire for the next couple of days, all that money and politicing.
This is going to be a long race home, we will see after a few more rounds where the money and support is.

Do you know they vote on the second Tuesday of November?

Actually it is the Tuesday following the first Monday of November, normally the first week of November; as a bit of trivia the first sitting of the US Supreme Court is traditionally the first Monday of October.

What a great win by Huckabee! I listened to this guy talk with Kenneth Copeland the other week...he has great values and immense wisdom. America needs some righteous leadership as times become more turbulent. Like it or not church and state are becoming more enmeshed.

What a great win by Huckabee! I listened to this guy talk with Kenneth Copeland the other week...he has great values and immense wisdom. America needs some righteous leadership as times become more turbulent. Like it or not church and state are becoming more enmeshed.

r u being sarcastic

God Help Us if your serious...

Only two Presidents who've won Iowa have gone on to be POTUS.

New Hampshire is where it really counts.

BTW, Ron Paul Raised 20 Million in the last quarter including two Money Bombs organised by the Grassroots, $4.2 Million on Guy Faulks days and $6 Million on the Boston Tea Party Day.

The Ron Paul Supporters got the $400,000/Month Blimp off the ground and they have just launched the Ron Paul Airforce...

Obama and Ron Paul won the recent MySpace Poll ==> http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23005353-1702,00.html

I have the awful fear you are actually serious with this comment!
Please say it's not so. This character wants to put everyone suffering from AIDS in quarantine!!!
This sort of religious quackery is just as dangerous as the Islamist fanatics.

Yahoooo!

D

:D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, 4 January 2008 3:01 PM
To: Doris Freeman
Subject: Turn on your television

Doris --

We just won Iowa, and I'm about to head down to talk to everyone.

Democrats turned out in record numbers tonight, and independents and even some Republicans joined our party to stand together for change.

Thank you for everything you've done to make this possible.

Barack

Paid for by Obama for America

This email was sent to: doris.*******@bigpond.com
Doris, do you live in Australia? America? Canada? You seem to have a very personal stake in this candidate. If it's not an intrusive question, could you tell us why?

I have the awful fear you are actually serious with this comment!
Please say it's not so. This character wants to put everyone suffering from AIDS in quarantine!!!
This sort of religious quackery is just as dangerous as the Islamist fanatics.

This sort of religious quackery is just as dangerous as the Islamist fanatics

Julia so glad you made that point, which unfortunately is a point that often goes over peoples' head. :D

it's going to be interesting in New Hampshire for the next couple of days, all that money and politicing.
This is going to be a long race home, we will see after a few more rounds where the money and support is.

As an American journo said (from Iowa) on 7:30 report tonight, you can have a lot of money for fuel but if the car is not designed to run well, the fuel is of no use. This was proven by the $millions of his own money that Romney spent in the last few weeks on this initial caucus. Huckabee spent peanuts.

Hillary has spent $millions too! Her donations come from factions and lobbyists whereas Barack has built his from almost 500,000 individuals' donations of $25 or more. This was smart. When he first announced he'd do this I thought that every donor would feel they own his campaign... be a part of it. He has a set up where people agree to match donations of others and his outfit sets them up to talk to each other about why they donated. This gives more momentum. Brilliant strategies.

So the amount of money and the support do not necessarily go hand in hand.

I watched a movie (circa 1939) about Abe Lincoln the other night. He was also a senator from Illinois. He campaigned on unity. Blacks and Whites for him... Blacks, Whites, Latinos, Asians and Blue and Red states for Obama: The United States of America.

At the end of the film, when he was voted president, as he boarded a train to Washington, Abe Lincoln told the crowd he had to go and give the lobbyists what they'd paid for to get him there. He found a balance in this of course as history tells us. My dread is this comparison with Lincoln and recently with the young JFK does not give him the ultimate in common with them.

Obama has always listened to and observed people as he tried to figure out where he fitted in the world. He applied this in his compassion from when he was in law school. He really listens and hears. His experiences as a kid in Indonesia with his mother and step father imprinted on the mind of a boy who would one day change the world. His book "The Audacity of Hope" give an incredible empathy with and potential provision of, the needs of all ethnics. I convinced Angus & Robertson bookstores to import it when I got back to Oz in March. It took a few months but they got it here. (I don't have shares in this company! :)

I hope the Oprah episode where she interviewed Barack and Michelle in 2006 is found and aired here soon. It would be good ratings now! I saw a repeat of it in Canada in January last year. I sat glued! I had this awesome premonition that this man was special. Unique. He was what America needed in a president. I signed up! Unfortunately, as I'm not a US citizen nor a legal resident there, I cannot donate to his campaign. But my dream is that his dream comes to fruition.