Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Are you Face blind or can you remember absolutely everyone?

Reactions
I thought this story was interesting enough to share on ASF. It examines the wide disparity between people who can barely recognise themselves in a mirror and those who magically seem to remember everyone they have ever seen.

Most of us assume that our conscious experience is roughly the same as everyone else’s,” writes Sadie Dingfelder.

‘I’m Face Blind. Here’s What It’s Like.’ Plus…

What’s it like to be a super-recognizer? Today, we bring you two unusual stories.

ebg-preview_1_c1ea9992-4dbb-43fe-9bb3-cfb57b6bc043.png

By Freya Sanders

September 21, 2024

Oh my God! Caroline! Hi! What are you doing here?
Sorry. . . Who are you?

It’s never not awkward. You see someone who went to your high school in, say, a coffee shop in Canada, and bound over to say hello, only to find they don’t recognize you.
We’ve all been there. But Jana Kozlowski ends up there more often than most. That’s because she’s what’s known as a “super-recognizer.” Yes, that is the scientific term. And yes, she has done a test, confirming that she’s in the top 2 percent of the population when it comes to facial recognition. In practice, that means that she very often says to her husband, “Look, there’s that actor who played a receptionist for 10 seconds in a decade-old Netflix show.”

And she regularly has to tell people who’ve forgotten her: “We worked in different departments of the same company of 5,000 people, six years ago!”

It’s equally awkward to be the other person in this scenario, though: To be the one who has to say, “Um, have we met?” This is a position Sadie Dingfelder finds herself in all the time, because she’s the opposite of a super-recognizer—she’s face blind. She’ll make a plan to have dinner with a friend, then won’t recognize him when he shows up. She mistook a stock image for her own cousins. Sadie has a neurological condition known as prosopagnosia, which means she’s in the bottom 2 percent of the population for facial recognition. This puts her, according to one Harvard scientist, “on par with a mediocre or below-average macaque.”

Today, we’re bringing you the stories of these two women, who see the world so differently than the vast majority of Americans—but whose experiences bear a striking resemblance. Jana had no idea she was a super-recognizer until she got bored during the pandemic and Googled “good at people face memory am i genius.” Sadie was 40 when she heard about a researcher who was trying to train people to get better at facial recognition—and, by signing up for the study, discovered that she’s “legit face blind.”

I know someone who is face blind. Prosopagnosia. He was interviewed about it on the project a few years ago. He can recognise his wife but sometimes not his own kids.

I haven't got prosopagnosia but I definitely don't recognise people that easily. I am definitely not one of those amazing people who can remember faces.

If I meet someone a few of times say in a work environment and then meet them in the street 6 months later, there is a good chance I won't know who they are. I get people who look similar confused and call them by the wrong name. i went to a lunch and this Greek heritage guy turned up and called me by name (as i was the client) and I thought he was someone else, another Greek guy who looks quite similar (bald etc.).

Can be embarrassing.

My wife laughs because I go to a movie and there is some famous actress in it and because they wear a wig and have a totally different look, I don't recognise them. Latest example was Everything Everywhere, All at Once (great movie), i had no idea that was Jamie Lee Curtis in the movie,

People, show good manners and please introduce yourself !!

1727051842112.png

Last edited:
I haven't got prosopagnosia but I definitely don't recognise people that easily. I am definitely not one of those amazing people who can remember faces.

If I meet someone a few of times say in a work environment and then meet them in the street 6 months later, there is a good chance I won't know who they are. I get people who look similar confused and call them by the wrong name. i went to a lunch and this Greek heritage guy turned up and called me by name (as i was the client) and I thought he was someone else, another Greek guy who looks quite similar (bald etc.).

Can be embarrassing.

My wife laughs because I go to a movie and there is some famous actress in it and because they wear a wig and have a totally different look, I don't recognise them. Latest example was Everything Everywhere, All at Once (great movie), i had no idea that was Jamie Lee Curtis in the movie,

People, show good manners and please introduce yourself !!

View attachment 184650
Fair enough !! The whole point of being an actor is that you can play different roles with wigs, prosthetics, make up clothes.
I found it a fascinating story. I struggle with remembering names of people. It wasn't my strongest suite as a teacher. :cautious:

I think the most salient point was acknowledging that people have very wildly different experiences of seeing, recognising and remembering. It could , for example, could bring into question first hand identification of people at crime scenes. I really wonder how many people can be confident that the person they "saw" at a crime scene is the person they pick out in a line up. In particular for example, if the line up incorporates other people of a similar age, size , build and appearance as the main suspect. Somehow I can't see that happening.

Plenty of people I recognised but I don't know them as such.

People I regularly see whilst walking, people who work in shops I regularly go to, etc. No idea of their names but I know their faces yes.

Names are what I'm not so good with......

It fascinates me how hundreds of years ago a simple line drawing and maybe a brief description was often enough to identify a wanted man. No photos back then, let alone fingerprints or DNA evidence.

Even if the local yahoos rounded up some drifter who looked like that drawing, the only way it could be KNOWN for sure is if someone who'd met the wanted men and knew by him by sight came and verified for certain he's the actual guy who did the deed etc.

@Knobby22
Are those black things next to the insulin resistant woman butt plugs? She looks like she'd do anything for a brief moment of joy.
Edit: oh yeah, that is Jamie Lee Curtis!