Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

2024 Olympic Games

Reactions
Even the largest Olympians can rest comfortably on the adjustable modular mattresses, which support up to 440 pounds and can be customised to fit athletes of different body shapes, as per The New York Times.
The beds are manufactured by Airweave, which also made the products for the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan.
1716118804429.png

The amorous Olympians won’t be able to lie on top of each other either, as the cardboard frames are reportedly designed to collapse under such a weight.

Even the largest Olympians can rest comfortably on the adjustable modular mattresses, which support up to 440 pounds and can be customised to fit athletes of different body shapes, as per The New York Times.
The beds are manufactured by Airweave, which also made the products for the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan.
View attachment 177220
The amorous Olympians won’t be able to lie on top of each other either, as the cardboard frames are reportedly designed to collapse under such a weight.
No bang for a buck there then !!!!!

There's something decidedly wrong at this point in history with the desire to control literally everything. :2twocents

amusing, to me, that the scabrous Nine network is promoting the Paris games with that catchy 1977 punk(ish) anthem "Ça plane pour moi" by the Belgian one hit wonder, Plastic Bertrand., As one would expect, it is a drug anthem, with plane being local argot for a joint.

qldfrog may dispute/ illuminate further.

"pass the dutchie 'pon the left-hand side"

amusing, to me, that the scabrous Nine network is promoting the Paris games with that catchy 1977 punk(ish) anthem "Ça plane pour moi" by the Belgian one hit wonder, Plastic Bertrand., As one would expect, it is a drug anthem, with plane being local argot for a joint.

qldfrog may dispute/ illuminate further.

"pass the dutchie 'pon the left-hand side"
@Dona Ferentes Not one who speaks French or in tongues I didn't know and even care less.:D

I wonder if they can take the Air_Cons onto the field ?:cautious:

US athletes to be given air conditioners at Paris Games amid heat fears for Olympians

By Esther Linder with wires
Posted 1h ago1 hours ago
13&cropW=5000&xPos=0&yPos=521&width=862&height=485.jpg

US Olympians will keep cool with their own air conditioners at the Paris Games. (AFP: Dimitar Dilkoff)

Link copied

• In short: The US Olympic team will buy air conditioners for the Paris Games to install in athletes' accommodation.
  • Sustainability at the Games has been put on the back foot by concerns over the health of athletes competing in a possible heatwave.
  • What's next? Australia, Germany, Italy, Canada and Britain have also reportedly said they will supply air conditioners for their Olympic teams.
The US Olympic team will supply air conditioners for its athletes at the Paris Games, joining a handful of other countries including Australia, in a move that undercuts organisers' plans to cut carbon emissions.

US Olympic and Paralympic CEO Sarah Hirshland said the move was aimed at safeguarding the "consistency and predictability [which] is critical for Team USA's performance".

"In our conversations with athletes, this was a very high priority and something that the athletes felt was a critical component in their performance capability," she said.

The Washington Post reported earlier this month that Germany, Australia, Italy, Canada and Britain were among the other countries with plans to bring air conditioners to France.

I wonder if they can take the Air_Cons onto the field ?:cautious:

US athletes to be given air conditioners at Paris Games amid heat fears for Olympians

By Esther Linder with wires
Posted 1h ago1 hours ago
View attachment 179203
US Olympians will keep cool with their own air conditioners at the Paris Games. (AFP: Dimitar Dilkoff)

Link copied

• In short: The US Olympic team will buy air conditioners for the Paris Games to install in athletes' accommodation.
  • Sustainability at the Games has been put on the back foot by concerns over the health of athletes competing in a possible heatwave.
  • What's next? Australia, Germany, Italy, Canada and Britain have also reportedly said they will supply air conditioners for their Olympic teams.
The US Olympic team will supply air conditioners for its athletes at the Paris Games, joining a handful of other countries including Australia, in a move that undercuts organisers' plans to cut carbon emissions.

US Olympic and Paralympic CEO Sarah Hirshland said the move was aimed at safeguarding the "consistency and predictability [which] is critical for Team USA's performance".

"In our conversations with athletes, this was a very high priority and something that the athletes felt was a critical component in their performance capability," she said.

The Washington Post reported earlier this month that Germany, Australia, Italy, Canada and Britain were among the other countries with plans to bring air conditioners to France.
Air conditioners is not about carbon what a load of absolute crap. Probably just another orchestrated conspiracy for the poor countries to struggle. Who builds accommodation in 2024 without air conditioning? You want to conserve carbon? cancel the Olympics.

Between this and break dancing the Olympics should just be put in the dustbin. The only interesting thing about the Olympics is guessing all the people who will be busted for drugs and all the judges being paid off by the Russians and various ex-soviet countries.

From memory there's still controversy about the Chinese Olympic swimming team from last Olympics and all of their supposed tainted drug tests. The whole thing is a joke.

Olympic Games Paris
26 July - 11 August, 2024
Olympic Swimming calendar of events btw and inclusive: 27/07 to 04/08/24 :D:xyxthumbs👍

1719701301790.png

Opening ceremony was pretty impressive. Great City Paris.
We watched some of the opening ceremony today, certainly was different and very impressive, and the lady who had the best view in the house who was singing and holding on for dear life to the flag pole was terrific.
The statues of past greats of France and a short history about them was great.

Update:

Unbeaten over 400m Freestyle since 2018, Titmus has joined Martha Norelius (1924-1928) as the only women to win the race at successive Olympics when she won the 400M freestyle final in Paris.
More significantly, she joined Dawn Fraser as the only Australian female swimmer to retain an individual Olympic title. How good is that???

Australia's women’s 4x100m freestyle relay team - won gold for the fourth time in a row (different swimmers of course) - but making this green and gold team one of the most formidable in history... Emma McKeon collected her sixth career gold, during the relay event, breaking Ian Thorpe’s Australian record after teaming up with Mollie O’Callaghan, Meg Harris and Shayna Jack.

The Aussie men won two silver medals, with Elijah Winnington finishing runner-up in the men’s 400m freestyle and Kai Taylor, Jack Cartwright, Flynn Southam and Kyle Chalmers, winning silver in the men’s 4x100m freestyle.

Australia’s first-ever Olympic gold medal in the women’s bicycle time trial by Grace Brown. In raining and precarious conditions which saw several riders crash, Brown rode with distinction as she eat up the 32.4km course into a stunning victory.

Go Australia.

Kind regards
rcw1

From our horse world, from disgrace to a absolutely OTT awesomeness.

1/ The disgrace from point of the world's leading dressage riders having been exposed in a video table from a few years ago of web abuse during a training session. Bad juju and what I completely disavow.

2/ One of our top Australian competitors in the 3 day event. In a training accident only a few months ago, Shame Rose, got completely smashed in a full breaking several bones including a femur and his pelvis. *A super serious injuries for any rider, but especially for someone expected to endure the rigors of the cross country in only a few short months.

I just watched him complete the course and to be honest I am blown away at this achievement... One of the gutsiest things I have ever seen in our sport, and I have seen many many extraordinarily gutsy things.

Most here would not know that wayneL was a competitor in this event many moons ago and was on a watch list for the Seoul Olympics... Long story short, an injury to my horse ended that campaign.

... So I know the level of fitness and health you need to be able to compete in this event and what I just watched blew me away.

🙇‍♂️

From our horse world, from disgrace to a absolutely OTT awesomeness.

1/ The disgrace from point of the world's leading dressage riders having been exposed in a video table from a few years ago of web abuse during a training session. Bad juju and what I completely disavow.

2/ One of our top Australian competitors in the 3 day event. In a training accident only a few months ago, Shame Rose, got completely smashed in a full breaking several bones including a femur and his pelvis. *A super serious injuries for any rider, but especially for someone expected to endure the rigors of the cross country in only a few short months.

I just watched him complete the course and to be honest I am blown away at this achievement... One of the gutsiest things I have ever seen in our sport, and I have seen many many extraordinarily gutsy things.

Most here would not know that wayneL was a competitor in this event many moons ago and was on a watch list for the Seoul Olympics... Long story short, an injury to my horse ended that campaign.

... So I know the level of fitness and health you need to be able to compete in this event and what I just watched blew me away.

🙇‍♂️
Rather sad that you could not compete Wayne, but I guess them is the breaks in this world.

Just for fun. :)

July 29, 2024

Reverse Parallel Parking Confirmed For 2028 Olympics

Man-reverse-parking_ss.jpg

Parking a car parallel to the road in line with other parked vehicles while others look on and judge will be an Olympic sport in Los Angeles in 2028, it has been confirmed.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said the addition of the popular spectator sport was long overdue.

“Running 100 metres in under 10 seconds is difficult. But not nearly as hard as driving a car backwards into a small space with the radio blaring, while someone in the back seat tells you they could do it better,” a spokesperson said.

The event will include a number of different rounds, including ‘parking between two SUVs’, ‘parking with an opinionated passenger’ and the gold medal round ‘parking right out the front of a pub while 100 people look on’.

To increase the difficultly level and to mirror real-life competitions, participants will be asked to drive in a car that is clearly too big for them. Unlike other Olympic events, judges will make loud comments and unwelcome suggestions while the competitors are in action.
Competitors are advised to start looking for a park now.

Just for fun. :)

July 29, 2024

Reverse Parallel Parking Confirmed For 2028 Olympics

View attachment 181695

Parking a car parallel to the road in line with other parked vehicles while others look on and judge will be an Olympic sport in Los Angeles in 2028, it has been confirmed.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said the addition of the popular spectator sport was long overdue.

“Running 100 metres in under 10 seconds is difficult. But not nearly as hard as driving a car backwards into a small space with the radio blaring, while someone in the back seat tells you they could do it better,” a spokesperson said.

The event will include a number of different rounds, including ‘parking between two SUVs’, ‘parking with an opinionated passenger’ and the gold medal round ‘parking right out the front of a pub while 100 people look on’.

To increase the difficultly level and to mirror real-life competitions, participants will be asked to drive in a car that is clearly too big for them. Unlike other Olympic events, judges will make loud comments and unwelcome suggestions while the competitors are in action.
Competitors are advised to start looking for a park now.
I'm in I will nominate my largest tractor oversize and will squeeze into any parking space !!!! 🤣