Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Is political correctness going too far?

Reactions
Reading the BBC website and a council in England has banned bingo calls like “legs eleven” or 88 “Two fat ladies” for fear of legal action should anyone be offended, these calls have been used for many years and become part of the tradition of calling the game, ironic that most people who go to Bingo in England are older females who are often on the bigger side, ironic this same group is very upset there game has been tampered with in this way by the local councilors.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/suffolk/8431483.stm

Here in Australia, often this time of year the politically correct brigade start banning on about Christmas but been a few years since any council has wanted to tone down or even not celebrate Christmas for fear of upsetting, offending or alienating non Christians, much I might add to there respective community’s relief, as a Muslim mate of mine said “all it does is increase tension between communities” and EVERY Muslim he knew was embarrassed and offended that councils felt they had to take these measures on there so called behalf.

Re: Is Political correctness going to far ?

New Zealand is refreshingly behind the curve when it comes to PC.

They get away with stuff here you could never get away with in Oz, the US or UK.

Fishbulb, what do you feel is far enough?

No. It hasn't gone far enough.

:mad:

It's madness, it has gone way too far. I don't see why we all can't just grow a thicker skin and say whatever is on our mind.

since any council has wanted to tone down or even not celebrate Christmas for fear of upsetting, offending or alienating non Christian

Which is unbelievable, since I'd call Christmas a secular holiday with religion as an option.

:mad:
Which is unbelievable, since I'd call Christmas a secular holiday with religion as an option.

Twas originally a pagan winter celebration that was rebadged as Christmas in the third century. So perhaps the paganists should be offended?

Huh? Are you serious, fishbulb?

No....

Of course it's ridiculous. But it's a topic constantly pounded and done to death. :D

I wonder if our social engineers know how we all feel about it? Of course they do, but it continues to be shoved down our throat in the name of "tolerance".

I can't see a solution to it.

I can't see a solution to it.

I don't think anybody can.

Unless we find out for sure that it is not them or us we our democracy and our political corectness doesn't stand a chance.

No....

Of course it's ridiculous.
Pleased to hear it. Thought maybe the Christmas stuff had been too much for you if you were serious!

I wonder if our social engineers know how we all feel about it? Of course they do, but it continues to be shoved down our throat in the name of "tolerance".
Reading this, it occurred to me to wonder who actually are our 'social engineers'.
I realise I couldn't actually name any.
One person for whom I have much respect is the social researcher, Hugh Mackay, but he simply reports on social trends, doesn't promote them.

Does this social engineering come largely from government? Who else?

How is it that this rubbish acquires momentum?

It's way gone.

Started with Quality in the late 80's and reinforced by mainstream media - movies depicting social "norms" then adopted by the obessives especially in the Left (unfortunately) to ensure social order can be controlled for the maximum good.

Horribly Orwellian. Maybe the demise of the US and english speaking controlled world order will see it off. Other than centuries old cultural traditions, Asians tend to be more tolerant and pragmatic (oh the whales) - much to the chagrine of christians, anti smokers, naive greenies and anyone else who believes their behaviours most closely resembles the right path.

Basically political correctness = intolerance. Most people recognise "political correctness" has gone way too far but few people are willing to recognise their own contribution.

Started long before the eighties my friend. Remember this guy - Al Grassby?

Multi-Culturalism I believe was the term he used.

Pleased to hear it. Thought maybe the Christmas stuff had been too much for you if you were serious!

Reading this, it occurred to me to wonder who actually are our 'social engineers'.
I realise I couldn't actually name any.
One person for whom I have much respect is the social researcher, Hugh Mackay, but he simply reports on social trends, doesn't promote them.

Does this social engineering come largely from government? Who else?

How is it that this rubbish acquires momentum?

Here's a link to a website which tries to explain some of PC's origins, though to me, it looks very biased. But I suppose it's a good link as it supports the anti-PC mindset. It does a better job than I could do.

Click

One of the more idiotic examples of political correctness gone mad, occurred earlier in the year when the mayor of Mt Isa suggested that unattractive women finding it hard to get husbands should come to Mt Isa as there is a dire shortage of females there.

He was assailed on all sides by feminists and left wing loonies for making, what most thought, a sensible suggestion.

Ca Bong Den, Old mate, you know little, political correctness is very very close to fascism, very close.

gg

Political correctness and climate change are the new facisms. Both are well meaning enough to merit people turning a blind eye to the bending of the truth that allows them to prop up there existance, and both are creating elitest 'communities' that are the only ones wise enough to know the right way forward for everyone else. Both are or are becoming political machines in their own right, and both seek to punish those that don't agree with their beliefs.

It will be interesting to see who wins, political correctness or climate change. They stem from the same fundamentalist left. Are they different heads of the same hydra or beasts in their own rights.

totally agree bafana the world went mad a long time ago with political correctness went to christmas carols in the park and had aboriginal woman speaking for around ten minutes about the land and how they didnt celebrate christmas 10000 years ago!

totally agree bafana the world went mad a long time ago with political correctness went to christmas carols in the park and had aboriginal woman speaking for around ten minutes about the land and how they didnt celebrate christmas 10000 years ago!

We also have about 140 religions registered in Australia not sure how many don't celebrate Christmas.
Maybe all those that don't, should have their 10 minutes venting time during Cristmas Carols ..

I can almost see it going that way.

I dont think they are going far enough here. A bit unfair that they can still discriminate against non-hardworking folks too. :D

Advert for 'reliable workers' banned as discrimination by Jobcentre Plus

The boss of a recruitment firm said she was told she could not place an advert for ''reliable workers'' because it discriminated against unreliable people.

Published: 11:00PM GMT 26 Jan 2010

Nicole Mamo, 48, wanted to post an advert for a £5.80-an-hour domestic cleaner on her local Jobcentre Plus website.

The text of the advert ended by stating that any applicants for the post ''must be very reliable and hard-working''.

But when Ms Mamo called the Jobcentre Plus in Thetford, Norfolk, the following day she was told that her advert would not be displayed instore.

A Jobcentre Plus worker claimed that the word ''reliable'' meant they could be sued for discriminating against unreliable workers.