Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ASF spelling and grammar lessons

Re: So you think you can read?

incredible or what? Go back and look again!!
Anyone who counts all 6 "F's" on the first go is a genius

Three is normal, four is quite rare

lol, I got 5, missed the last OF for some reason:banghead::D

Whoops! You are absolutely right. I just hate it when I make those mistakes! Even though I read my post before submitting it, I did not notice. Smack on the hand accepted with due humility. Thank you for noticing.

Ruby

lol, I got 5, missed the last OF for some reason:banghead::D
Well, shame on me. Even on the second reading I didn't pick up a single 'of'.
Can I blame my habit of reading fast, rather than imminent Alzheimers?

Well, shame on me. Even on the second reading I didn't pick up a single 'of'.
Can I blame my habit of reading fast, rather than imminent Alzheimers?

Ov course the reason is ov no connection to Alzheimers Disease. When we read we hear the words.

According to the latest studies, sight is 50% memory. There is simply no way you can look at something & actually be 'seeing' everything. Your brain just can't process it all, so to help itself out it takes shortcuts. So really it's no wonder we all make mistakes and skip over errors.

Writing & reading is no different than looking at a picture and playing spot the difference. Sometimes what's right in front of your nose is unable to be recognised.

Last night I kept looking at the word 'calendar' in a graphic I was making for an iPhone theme. I just could not get it through me head I had spelt it correctly. I swear it still does not look quite right! :banghead:

According to the latest studies, sight is 50% memory. There is simply no way you can look at something & actually be 'seeing' everything. Your brain just can't process it all, so to help itself out it takes shortcuts. So really it's no wonder we all make mistakes and skip over errors.
It so happens the brain records every sense from the early stages of existence to the end of it's function. From womb to death. It is truly a memory bank of all life experiences. The greatest gig of all is not being able to access these records at will.

It so happens the brain records every sense from the early stages of existence to the end of it's function. From womb to death. It is truly a memory bank of all life experiences. The greatest gig of all is not being able to access these records at will.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with the studies?
The greatest gig? I don't follow the English here I'm afraid.

Give it till 2045 as that's when people like Richard Kurzweil think there will be a convergence between brain & computer, & the ability to remove the totality of your recordings & transplant them into a man made version.

Ov course the reason is ov no connection to Alzheimers Disease. When we read we hear the words.

Just to add. The read words can be in any recorded tone, gender, pitch etc. or even a mimic but mostly in our own specific voice (for want of a better word).

Whoops! You are absolutely right. I just hate it when I make those mistakes! Even though I read my post before submitting it, I did not notice. Smack on the hand accepted with due humility. Thank you for noticing.

Ruby

Ruby, I feel for you, but remember it is only those of us who love the English language who are embarrassed when we make a mistake in grammar or spelling. Most don't care.

Ruby, I feel for you, but remember it is only those of us who love the English language who are embarrassed when we make a mistake in grammar or spelling. Most don't care.
So true. Although sometimes I wonder if maybe the 'don't care' attitude is really a defensiveness.

My comment was directed at the first post on this thread which included 1 as a prime number. Trivial, I know, but I'm a Maths teacher and couldn't help myself.:)
:topic
LOL,
hey camel spotter , then you might appreciate this 42 minute discourse on prime numbers. Sounds like you and Adam Spencer would be locked in discussion on this stuff ;).
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2730924.htm

Rather than be accused of going too far off thread, I'll post somethin' on the Richard Dawkins thread. cheers

My comment was directed at the first post on this thread which included 1 as a prime number. Trivial, I know, but I'm a Maths teacher and couldn't help myself.:)

camel,
btw, another interpretation is that Joe (in post #1) was simply quoting a mathematician from the 18th century. (?) - call it an anachronism I guess.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldbach's_conjecture

On 7 June 1742, the Prussian mathematician Christian Goldbach wrote a letter to Leonhard Euler ....

Every integer greater than 2 can be written as the sum of three primes.
He considered 1 to be a prime number, a convention subsequently abandoned.[4]
:2twocents