Extract from a recent Aussie TV tribute to Dame Edna for her 50 years on stage

Attachments

• humphries1.jpg
    humphries1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 132
  • humphries2.jpg
    humphries2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 135
This is a pisstake ok? ;) I find this music absolutely wierd but ....

I found a quote that went as follows:-
Someone once asked Anton Bruckner , "Master, how when where did you think of the divine motif of your Ninth Symphony?""
"Well, it was like this", Brucknier replied. "I walked up the Kohlenberg, and when I got hot and I got hungry, I sat down by a little brook, and unpacked my Swiss cheese. And just as I open the greasy paper, that darn tune pops into my head"
Anton Bruckner 1825 - 1896
So, lol, I check out youtube and find ... this ?? :confused:
(I personally think he got some mould and/or magic mushrooms mixed up with his Swiss cheese ;))

1492 - Conquest of Paradise
this has a message - 1492 - enough said. :eek:
unfortunately the words are (apparently) nonsensical .....

I love the 1492: Conquest of Paradise theme by Vangelis and have difficulty in understanding what the lyrics mean.
I did a search for the lyrics and one of the sites ( www.engelen.demon.nl/1492.htm ) gives the lyrics and mentions that they were in an "invented musical language or wordpainting (pseudo Latin)". Does anyone know what that means ? Do the lyrics have any meaning ?

In noreni per ipe,
in noreni cora;
tira mine per ito,
ne domina.

In noreni per ipe,
in noreni cora;
tira mine per ito,
ne domina.

In noreni per ipe,
in noreni cora;
tira mine per ito,
ne domina.

In romine tirmeno,
ne romine to fa,
imaginas per meno per imentira (more) (less)
This is certainly pseudo-Latin. None of the words appear in any Latin dictionary I have or online, except the following, (which I suspect is pure coincidence): in, per, ne, imaginas, domina.
Type the words into the dictionary at this site if you want to see for yourself:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/resolveform
I can deconstruct the gibberish for you: take fa. It could concievably be Latin, but a very brutalized and butchered form. It could be a form of the verb for, "to say", in the imperative mood; for in normal Latin verbs of that conjugation, the imperative is constructed by removing the final two letters of the second principal part: for example, do, dare would become da; so, for, fari could become fa.
However, a dictionary tells us that for is a deponent verb, which means that (in Latin) it looks like a verb in the passive voice, but which actually is active in meaning. As a deponent, the imperative mood is properly constructed by adding on the second principal part as it would look like if the verb were not deponent. In other words the form would probably be fare or farare (if for has an imperative form; some words don't).

So, these lyrics don't mean squat: kind of like "ain't" and " hey na na" and "na na na na" and any kind of scatting you might hear on jazz albums. It sounds cool, but means nothing.
This'll have to do ;) - Kurt Vonnegut on the subject of 1492 ....
1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat, and kill them.

sizes through to hubble deep field photograph
we are small
The Solar Sizes in Comparison!

Enigma Goodbye Milky Way
Beautiful Music by Enigma about our galaxy Milky Way where we live, I thought pictures of Galaxies and Nebulas would fit this song well, enjoy this awesome music!!!

Enigma - Goodbye Milky Way

Shall I go, shall I stay
107 light years away
many times, so many doubts
But no reason to talk about

Mission is over, mission is done
I will miss you, children of the sun
Now it's time to go away
Goodbye, goodbye milky way

For a better world without hate
Follow your heart, believe in fate
Only visions and the mind
Will guide you to the light

Mission is over mission is done
I will miss you children of the sun
Now it's time to go and say
Goodbye, goodbye milky way

Mission is over, mission is done
I will miss you children of the sun
I go home until someday
I say goodbye, goodbye milky way

In 5 billions years the Andromeda galaxy will collide with our milky way
A new gigantic Cosmic world will be born

HI 2020, I'm sure this is excellent music. My computer is playing up and won't play sound at all at the moment, tried everything and the speakers remain silent. Do you have any silent videos or mime? All the best - noirua

HI 2020, I'm sure this is excellent music. My computer is playing up and won't play sound at all at the moment, tried everything and the speakers remain silent.

noi, maybe you've gone temporarily deaf mate ;)

of course there are a few options in "start\ help\sound \ etc"
starting with "turn the volume up" lol
(not that I'm an expert on malfunctioning computers)

Roger G - Mime on Skates

nature without sound ... ;)
A strange cloud of flying birds
message?

(as Allan Sherman used to say ..
"fish gotta swim, bird gotta fly..
but they won't live long if they try ,
pollution pollution, you can get the latest toothpaste
and then wash your mouth with industrial waste. "

noi, maybe you've gone temporarily deaf mate ;)

of course there are a few options in "start\ help\sound \ etc"
starting with "turn the volume up" lol
(not that I'm an expert on malfunctioning computers)

Roger G - Mime on Skates

Excellent 2020, One problem, I don't know if the speakers are working now or not! They tell me that I should go back to BIOS and click-on F8 etc., too tired to bother at the moment - cheers

To Perth Prospector overtaking a Freighter at Wallaroo
Kimba Train 4: Ungarra - wheat
Compilation of Australian rail scenes.
message? - some long trains out there - getting busy ;)
Lol, there's a steam train in there - backed up by a diesel ;)
(Bit like the typical fight in a country pub - or politics for that matter - some bloke who's a lot of hot air being pushed along by his mates (whether business or unions) ;))

Attachments

• train1.jpg
    train1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 117
  • train2.jpg
    train2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 114
  • train3.jpg
    train3.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 119
Women In Film
Women in art
You wonder why movies are more popular than art , lol

Here incidentally is (one of ) Brett Whiteley's paintings of his lady ;) - called alchemy - there are many such .

Attachments

• brett whiteley.jpg
    brett whiteley.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 111
hey folks , you have wysiwyg to thank for this post
as just "posted" on channel 9's "60 minutes" ;)
http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=i85su1w6uz The Boy With The Incredible Brain

autistic savants (Daniel Tammet)
this man's a genius in his own way.
recites "pi" to heaps of decimal places ( goes on for hours - way beyond the computer lol)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/savant
sa·vant (sā-vänt') Pronunciation Key n.
1. A learned person; a scholar.
2. An idiot savant.

au·tism Pronunciation Key - noun
1. Psychiatry. a pervasive developmental disorder of children, characterized by impaired communication, excessive rigidity, and emotional detachment.
2. a tendency to view life in terms of one's own needs and desires.

What a Piece of Work is Man (Hair) – iEvolveGAIA
WHAT A PIECE OF WORK IS MAN

What a piece of work is man
How noble in reason
How infinite in faculties
In form and moving
How express and admirable
In action how like an angel
In apprehension how like a god
The beauty of the world
The paragon of animals

I have of late
But wherefore I know not
Lost all my mirth
This goodly frame
The earth
Seems to me a sterile promontory
This most excellent canopy
The air-- look you!
This brave o'erhanging firmament
This majestical roof
Fretted with golden fire
Why it appears no other thing to me
Than a foul and pestilent congregation
Of vapors

How noble in reason

How dare they try to end this beauty?
How dare they try to end this beauty?

Walking in space
We find the purpose of peace
The beauty of life
You can no longer hide

Our eyes are open
Our eyes are open
Our eyes are open
Our eyes are open
Wide wide wide!

Meaning
Man is a supreme creature.

From Shakespeare's Hamlet, 1603:
Hamlet: II, ii
HAMLET: I will tell you why; so shall my anticipation
prevent your discovery, and your secrecy to the king
and queen moult no feather. I have of late--but
wherefore I know not--lost all my mirth, forgone all
custom of exercises; and indeed it goes so heavily
with my disposition that this goodly frame, the
earth, seems to me a sterile promontory, this most
excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave
o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted
with golden fire, why, it appears no other thing to
me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours.

What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason!
how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how
express and admirable! in action how like an angel!
in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the
world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me,
what is this quintessence of dust?
More recently, in the 20th century, the phrase 'a real piece of work' has been coined. This means almost exactly the opposite of Shakespeare's meaning, i.e. 'a really bad person, lacking morality and scruples'.
What a Piece of Work is a Man (After the Acting Class)
message 1 – this bloke should ask for his acting lesson money back
message 2 - current western man is showing himself to be 'a real piece of work'

Attachments

• war1.jpg
    war1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 110
  • war2.jpg
    war2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 110
  • war3.jpg
    war3.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 111
  • war4.jpg
    war4.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 107
  • war6.jpg
    war6.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 110
Talk about moral dilemnas - this one has to be right up there - complete with taunts about whether or not you believe that kids go to Heaven :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie's_Choice_(film)
trivia :-
Meryl Streep wished strongly that she be given the leading role in the film. After she obtained a pirated copy of the script, she went to Alan J. Pakula and threw herself on the ground begging to give her the part.[1]
In preparation for the role, Meryl Streep not only learned a Polish accent--she also learned to speak Polish and German.
William Styron wrote the novel with Ursula Andress in mind for the part of Sophie.

"Meryl Streep has to chose which of her children will die. I believe a similar clip was shown at the Academy awards"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie's_Choice_(film) Sophie's Choice (by William Styron) - Sophie Zawistowski, - Polish woman - recounts the night she arrived at Auschwitz with her children, and of how a Nazi officer forced her to choose life for one child, and death for the other. (or both would die).

Despite her plea of "Don't make me choose. I can't choose", Sophie's words fall on deaf ears. When a young Nazi is told to take both children away, she releases her daughter, shouting "Take my little girl!". Sophie can only watch as the screaming little girl is carried away to die, her guilt and despair all too clear.

message ? - you need to also see the lighter interview below - otherwise that last one is just too scarey.

Meryl Streep - Questionnaire

Firstly this introduction to memes by WayneL on God thread (= "concepts capable of passed on") . :2twocents
Our concept of God is effectively a meme to use the tem originally coined by Dawkins himself, (i.e. "essentiallly ideological and linguistic viruses" as quoted by Imajica) and all our concepts of God have been placed there by someone.

In our culture we have the judeo/christian meme, where God is some dude sitting on a cloud, tut tutting and putting black crosses against our name when we screw up. To be quite frank, this is where people have difficulty with God concepts and legitimately reject that model.

The shame I feel is that most of these folk default to the Darwin/Dawkins model (another meme IMO). This to me is throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Their right of course, but it often done without consideration or observation of anything else.

This creates a polarized debate where both sides only consider evidence to support there own particular meme infection.....
Two long youtubes ( 20 mins each ) - only for a rainy day :rolleyes: Two great speakers tough IMO. Nice clear talks free of emotion

Dan Dennett: Ants, terrorism, and the awesome power of meme
Here's one of those talks that can change your view of the world forever. Starting with the deceptively simple story of an ant, Dan Dennett unleashes a dazzling sequence of ideas, making a powerful case for the existence of "memes" -- a term coined by Richard Dawkins for mental concepts that are literally alive and capable of spreading from brain to brain. On the way, look out for:
+ a powerful one-sentence secret of happiness
+ a compelling insight into terrorists' motivation
+ a chilling view of Islam
And just when you think you know where the talk's heading, it dramatically shifts direction and questions some of western culture's fundamental assumptions.

Then there's this seriously optional youtube - Dawkins in a wide ranging discussion on the subject of science - imaginative - but finally gets to the point (after about 18 mins lol) ;) - but seriously optional ...
Richard Dawkins on the strangeness of science: TEDTalks

Mind-expanding talk that probes the limits of human understanding: Why can't we see atoms? Why can't we hear color? How can we understand randomness? Dawkins suggests that the true nature of the universe eludes us because the human mind has evolved mainly to understand other humans -- and to look for human motives even in natural processes. Thus, we create a humanlike God to explain phenomena we can't otherwise comprehend; right or wrong, we're simply wired for it. Dawkins is Oxford's Professor for the Public Understanding of Science, and the author of the landmark 1976 book The Selfish Gene and the 2006 bestseller The God Delusion. (Recorded July 2005 in Oxford, UK)

The last two links were from www . ted . com
some great talks there (some a bit long winded)
and interesting songs etc - e.g.

South African singer-songwriter Vusi Mahlasela dedicates his song, "Thula Mama," to all women -- with a special mention for his grandmother, who showed spine-tingling bravery in the face of apartheid-era police oppression. His story, voice and music will leave you speechless

yet another of those www . ted . com youtubes - great stuff (again 20 minutes though) :2twocents - bit like discovery channel

After 12 minutes - becomes "Space Exploration 101" (suspect he's been smoking something lol)
Bill Stone: Journey to the center of the Earth ... and beyond.
Bill Stone, the maverick cave explorer who invented robots and dive equipment that have allowed him to plumb Earth's deepest abysses, explains his efforts to build a robot to explore Jupiter's moon Europa. The plan is to send the machine to bore through miles of ice and swim through a liquid underworld that may harbor alien life. And if that's not enough, he's also planning to mine lunar ice by 2015

Faces Of Meth :(
Crystal Meth

Attachments

• meth2.jpg
    meth2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 100
  • meth3.jpg
    meth3.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 97
  • meth7.jpg
    meth7.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 101