Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

New website design

Joe, could you spell out very slowly and as for a very stupid person exactly the purpose of the "Multiquote" button and how to use it?

Thanks

I've read the earlier thread about this but, sorry, I just don't get what it's supposed to do.

Joe, could you spell out very slowly and as for a very stupid person exactly the purpose of the "Multiquote" button and how to use it?

Thanks

I've read the earlier thread about this but, sorry, I just don't get what it's supposed to do.

Hi Julia,

The multiquote button is for when you want to respond to more than one post in a thread.

On each post that you wish to respond to, in the order you wish to respond to them, click the multiquote button on each post. Then click either the 'Quote' button on the last post you wish to respond to (after clicking its multiquote button of course) or the 'Post Reply' button at the end of the page of the thread.

A new reply will be commenced and the content of each of the posts you selected will automatically be quoted in the new reply. You then simply have to insert your responses between the quotes and click 'Submit Reply'.

Of course, I recommend pruning the quotes, if possible, so that only the specific remarks you would like to respond to remain within the quote tags.

I am going to ask the designer to change hoe the current 'MultiQuote' button functions. In the old design, the button used to change colour to orange when clicked. I prefer that method to the current one on this design that simply changes from '+' to '-'.

Anyway, I hope that explains it. I use it a lot and it does save a lot of time and hassle. :)

I have also made the decision to enable image attachment thumbnails. I have done this for a couple of reasons:

1. In the past, some ASF members found a maximum image size of 875 pixels in width to be too restrictive and would have preferred to be able to attach larger images. As a result, when these images were resized to a width of 875 pixels sometimes some of the detail in these images was lost. This was often particularly noticable with text on charts which became too small to read. It has now been set at a maximum of 1000 pixels in width but I can set it higher if need be.

2. By enabling thumbnails, threads will load faster as full size images will not need to be loaded unnecessarily. This should improve site performance for all ASF users.

I realise that people will now have to click on the thumbnail to see images that are attached to posts, but I think that the advantages of enabling thumbnails far outweigh the negatives.

Can we get rid of the stinking union jack from behind my avatar?

A southern cross will be fine

Joe,

I love it except for the default setting "Align Center" for text input which is difficult to read and align data.

Wall Street rallied Thursday after the government's jobless claims data and Ford Motor Co.'s first-quarter results helped reinject some optimism about the economy into the market.

Sym Last........ ........Change..........
Dow 12,848.95 +85.73 +0.67%
Nasdaq 2,428.92 +23.71 +0.99%
S&P 500 1,388.82 +8.89 +0.64%
30-yr Bond 4.5440% +0.0590

NYSE Volume 4,462,689,500
Nasdaq Volume 2,352,640,500

Overseas
Japan's Nikkei stock average fell 0.28 percent. Britain's FTSE 100 closed down 0.54 percent, Germany's DAX index rose 0.39 percent, and France's CAC-40 fell 0.31 percent.

Europe
Symbol... Last...... .....Change.......
FTSE 100 6,050.70 -32.90 -0.54%
DAX 6,821.32 +26.29 +0.39%
CAC 40 4,929.55 -15.10 -0.31%​

A quick recap of the rules for those not familiar with them:

1. You MUST have at least a minimum of 10 posts AND an average of at least 0.30 posts per day to enter. You can see your posts per day average by clicking on your user name and viewing your public profile... your average is displayed right next to your 'total posts'.

2. Each entrant may choose one ASX listed stock. Options, warrants and deferred settlement shares are not permitted. Stocks with a price of less than $0.01 are ineligible for the competition.

3. The winner is the entrant whose selected stock performs the best in percentage terms between May 1 and May 31.

4. The maximum number of entrants in the competition is 100.

The winner will receive a year's subscription to their choice of either AFR Smart Investor, Money or Your Trading Edge magazine... OR a $75 gift voucher to be spent at the ASF Investment Shop (or $50 cash if you prefer). The second placegetter will receive the runner up prize of $25 cash.

You have until midnight on Wednesday April 30 to enter.

Request default setting to be "Align Left"

Wall Street rallied Thursday after the government's jobless claims data and Ford Motor Co.'s first-quarter results helped reinject some optimism about the economy into the market.

Sym Last........ ........Change..........
Dow 12,848.95 +85.73 +0.67%
Nasdaq 2,428.92 +23.71 +0.99%
S&P 500 1,388.82 +8.89 +0.64%
30-yr Bond 4.5440% +0.0590

NYSE Volume 4,462,689,500
Nasdaq Volume 2,352,640,500

Overseas
Japan's Nikkei stock average fell 0.28 percent. Britain's FTSE 100 closed down 0.54 percent, Germany's DAX index rose 0.39 percent, and France's CAC-40 fell 0.31 percent.

Europe
Symbol... Last...... .....Change.......
FTSE 100 6,050.70 -32.90 -0.54%
DAX 6,821.32 +26.29 +0.39%
CAC 40 4,929.55 -15.10 -0.31%

A quick recap of the rules for those not familiar with them:

1. You MUST have at least a minimum of 10 posts AND an average of at least 0.30 posts per day to enter. You can see your posts per day average by clicking on your user name and viewing your public profile... your average is displayed right next to your 'total posts'.

2. Each entrant may choose one ASX listed stock. Options, warrants and deferred settlement shares are not permitted. Stocks with a price of less than $0.01 are ineligible for the competition.

3. The winner is the entrant whose selected stock performs the best in percentage terms between May 1 and May 31.

4. The maximum number of entrants in the competition is 100.

The winner will receive a year's subscription to their choice of either AFR Smart Investor, Money or Your Trading Edge magazine... OR a $75 gift voucher to be spent at the ASF Investment Shop (or $50 cash if you prefer). The second placegetter will receive the runner up prize of $25 cash.

You have until midnight on Wednesday April 30 to enter.​

This is an anomaly that Joe will fix when he wakes up I think. kennas

Fixed. :)

Sorry guys, we're expermenting with some warnings to unregistered visitors at the moment and something went wrong and it all started aligning to the center.

Anyway, it's back to normal now.

Hi Joe,

I would like to ask if it possible to have more contrast between colours.

Green on blue is difficult for those of us with bad eyesight, also the highlighting of threads with new posts could be more prominent.

Sorry to be a pain, but the eyeballs don't work so well anymore.

Thanks for the forum

Hey Joe,
("where you goin with that gun in your hand?")

Seriously though, site looks quite flash, well done...

May I ask if you have in fact changed from a serrif font to a sans serrif font when displaying pages?
I noticed a post about readability and would have to agree with the sentiment.
Someone told me many years ago of the readability issue between the two types...

Thanks again for having the better forum Joe...
Regards,
Scuba

lol, I just changed from Internet Explorer to Firefox yesterday and the first time I logged in with Firefox, the changes had taken place.

I thought, gee no wonder everyone raves about firefox look at how much better everything looks, lol:D:p:

Well done Joe.

I have also made the decision to enable image attachment thumbnails. I have done this for a couple of reasons:

1. In the past, some ASF members found a maximum image size of 875 pixels in width to be too restrictive and would have preferred to be able to attach larger images. As a result, when these images were resized to a width of 875 pixels sometimes some of the detail in these images was lost. This was often particularly noticable with text on charts which became too small to read. It has now been set at a maximum of 1000 pixels in width but I can set it higher if need be.

2. By enabling thumbnails, threads will load faster as full size images will not need to be loaded unnecessarily. This should improve site performance for all ASF users.

I realise that people will now have to click on the thumbnail to see images that are attached to posts, but I think that the advantages of enabling thumbnails far outweigh the negatives.

Mate,

Its a great new format although I don't agree with you on the thumbnails for charts.

Chartists are more right brained and brainier anyway than funnymentalists and having to click on the thumbnail and back to the text is challenging for our super intelligence.

Was it Chomsky who said, the Chart is the message.

gg

Ummm ... not wishing to offend so will leave the stinking bit out but yeah the Union Flag behind is a bit peculiar .... I imagine its the top left-hand corner of the Aust. flag, but still ... I suppose you could change the site name to Commonwealth Stock Forums then it coud be the top left of NZ, Cook Islands, and so on ....

lol, I just changed from Internet Explorer to Firefox yesterday and the first time I logged in with Firefox, the changes had taken place.

I thought, gee no wonder everyone raves about firefox look at how much better everything looks, lol:D:p:

Well done Joe.

That is so funny!

all fine on the website..

2 things i dont particularily find easy..

this green font thats appearing is real hard to see.. for me that is a wrong colour format and it is definately extremely hard to read things..

thumbnails are not my cup of tea.. i looked at few i have posted, first it loads up and its too small to read, then you have to click again and it nlarges a second time.. imho posting charts maps etc should be on the thread and not thumbnailed..

i cant understand why the editor box is so small myself, can it be made real large?

but i appreciate the effort on this and you have been working long hours on it..

hope we can lose that green:D

cheers

I am with BSD on this one, would like to see the Madge symbol take a long rest.

My :2twocents

Mike

Agree with others that Southern Cross would be better than the Union Jack. There are enough of the buggers here already and it might encourage more to migrate.

gg

I bet that bugger whispering in your ear is not a Chartist.

gg

Love the update but,

That Union Jack has to go!! I see no reason for that. In fact I feel some what offended by it. Could the reasoning/thinking for it be explained a bit Joe?

The loss of contrast at this stage seems to be a negative(time will tell once we get use to it). For example the greens get lost. Especially the online now dot looks hardly any diff from the offline dot. And the post text back ground being non white makes it a bit harder to read.

As for the thumbnails I think this is a backwards looking step in the days of faster and faster internet speeds. As they say 'a picture speaks a thousand words'. For us simpler chartists we probably don't know a thousand words :eek:.
But seriously seems a step back in time to be cutting bandwidth at the cost of easy access to rich information.

Overall thumbs up. (but a big thumbs down on the Union Jack though :mad:)

On the two current topics: I also much prefer having charts not displayed as thumbnails, and don't like the Union Jack either.

I suppose charts could be displayed from an image server, so they'd still show up in full and would not be using ASF's bandwidth, but that is a bit more effort each time one is posted.

Perhaps if there could be an option, so that attachments bigger than a certain file size show up as thumbnails, but smaller ones don't. Generally I don't see a need to be posting large, hi-res charts all the time, but maybe that's just me. :)

GP