Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Romancing the SPI

Whilst we are talking about the SPI.

I'm super confused with the volume numbers I'm looking at.

View attachment 50096

Picture below is the SPI for the day session (9.50-4.30). Obviously the volume spikes are when the contracts roll but the numbers I'm seeing seem to be A LOT different to the numbers the the ASX gives below in regards to volume traded. They have some 300k volume days and the chart I have doesn't have a day over 100k....

http://www.sfe.com.au/content/prices/rtp15sfAP.html

Am I missing something? Nightly volume? other SPI contracts?

Yeah Kid, i think its the Sycom session volume your missing.

NinjaTrader...who's data is that?

Hi RADO,

Does Amibroker trade of charts, feature a Dom or is it simply just charting? I know Ninja is free with a IB plugin but as only charts no trading off the platform unless you purchase a license.

Trading system ? Well I have a methodology that is quite simply S&R trading.
As trading is really more about psych then anything else, the time spent back testing never really counted for much with me.

I believe if you just take the best setups and not intervene for no reason you will be ok.
But then again I know nothing about the DOM and the order flow of the real contract so it will be a whole new learning curve once again.

FX just did my head in, too many pairs, 24H and hard to not constantly be paying attention too. Again its the psych, I just had enough .

No I dont think Amibroker has DOM built in. But you can trade off the chart, I never have because I havent set up that feature. For DOM and placing trades I just use IB's TWS (trader work station). For amibroker Im actually getting my data from esignal which is pretty expensive but really reliable. And I guess its also a backup charting solution for me. Ninja trader is pretty good and a cheaper option. But Amibroker is way better IMO, one of the best charting programs money can buy.

I only noticed this thread lately...I hope am not too late to reply..

Just to add my 2 cents....

SPI is one of the instruments I trade and I fully agree with TH (see previous post) that although the volume has doubled recently, its actually dominated by trading bots.
It is dangerous to trade SPI when the US markets volatility is low, especially during Dec-Jan (ie: when big investors are on holidays). When there is no volatility (or NYSE volume), the SPI is prone to manipulation, (so is the XJO).

It would be "heartbreaking" for a new trader to start "romancing" the SPI if he/she doesn't have an idea why/what causing it to behave like that. Best way is to observe the LIVE price action and paper trade it until you gain confidence.

Just to follow up on the volume issue.

I'm still not getting the same volume data between Interactive Brokers and what the daily trading report says. I've emailed the ASX to ask so we'll see what they say but I'm not holding my breathe.

Example of what I'm talking about below.

Volume issues SPI.jpg