Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Putting Shares Bought 20 Years Ago Into Online Account: How?

Reactions
Hi All,

I'm an Australian citizen now living overseas. 20+ years ago I bought all the classic shares people bought: Telstra, Fosters, ANZ, Santos etc. These were bought via a full service broker. I've been receiving dividends etc and correspondance from the companies in the USA for the last 20 years but it troubles me that I don't have an online style account listing them all so I can see their performance and also sell them if need be. At the back of my mind is the thought that someone can "steal" my shares as I don't live in Australia now and don't keep track of them at all.

How can I transfer/merge/add them to an online brokerage account. If it helps, I have a Commonwealth Bank account established many years ago.

Are the holdings issuer sponsored or chess sponsored. IE with a SRN starting I......... or a HIN starting with X.......... (both 9 or 10 digits)?

Are the holdings issuer sponsored or chess sponsored. IE with a SRN starting I......... or a HIN starting with X.......... (both 9 or 10 digits)?
Thanks Dona, Both. Some i.e. Telstra shares are issuer sponsored (bought them at the "IPO") whilst others are CHESS sponsored (i.e. SANTOS).

then HIN is with the broker .... do they have an online presence? and do you want to use them, anyway?

An easy way, and as you have a CommBank account, would be to investigate setting up CommSec Broker acct. Setting up anything now needs ID and AML/CTA box ticking, so an established relationship might (just might) make it easier. Then there is a facility on Commsec to transfer to the new HIN.

But a few things:
1. All documentation ... name and address, etc ... must be identical. Exactly the same. (It is another exercise in changing from JJ Bloggs to Joe Bloggs, for example, or standardising addresses.)
2. As an expat, there could be further hoops, depending on tax and residency status.
3 When you change to a new HIN with another broker, then you need to update/ change banking and communications details. CommSec can take you through.

Don't expect things to happen quickly. (the spectre of identity theft has necessitated the extra hoops to jump through)