Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Plays on LNG Exporting?

Reactions
So I own a lot of US NG mid streams (pipeline companies, compression companies, refiners etc). I think natural gas is going to be an intermediate fuel source until solar/wind/nuclear really take over.

Further with Russia invading a lot of their markets will be taken over by "friendly" countries.

I wanted to put together a basket of Australian stocks focusing on NG and in particularly LNG. But it seems there are just three major ones? Santos, BHP and Woodside? All are upstream companies (i.e. producers). Can one not invest in mid-streams that own the pipelines, the compression the refinement etc as we do in the US?

So I own a lot of US NG mid streams (pipeline companies, compression companies, refiners etc). I think natural gas is going to be an intermediate fuel source until solar/wind/nuclear really take over.

Further with Russia invading a lot of their markets will be taken over by "friendly" countries.

I wanted to put together a basket of Australian stocks focusing on NG and in particularly LNG. But it seems there are just three major ones? Santos, BHP and Woodside? All are upstream companies (i.e. producers). Can one not invest in mid-streams that own the pipelines, the compression the refinement etc as we do in the US?
Have you looked at APA.

have you considered APA a dominant player in Aussie gas pipelines ??

( i do not hold APA )

cheers

also if memory serves me correctly AGL has some gas- pipeline assets

( i do not hold AGL )
I am not sure, APA used to be part of AGL until 2000, I am pretty sure AGL put all their pipelines in APA and then split it off.

But I guess AGL might have some minor pipelines some where, you would have to check.

Also they own solar, wind and gas power stations, and electricity transmission between states.
but the original poster was focused on natural gas ( i suspect ones that actually make a profit )

Australia is a relatively small pond , so to scale up your business ( and not be turned into a mummy by ACCC red tape ) you need several different types of assets

i guess it depends on if we elect a 'fossil fuel-friendly ' government next time

I am not sure, APA used to be part of AGL until 2000, I am pretty sure AGL put all their pipelines in APA and then split it off.

But I guess AGL might have some minor pipelines some where, you would have to check.
there was a plan circa 2007 to have/maintain some pipelines in Southern Queensland , but that might have fallen through ( i was too busy reporting the company for it's business activities at the time )

but the original poster was focused on natural gas ( i suspect ones that actually make a profit )

Australia is a relatively small pond , so to scale up your business ( and not be turned into a mummy by ACCC red tape ) you need several different types of assets

i guess it depends on if we elect a 'fossil fuel-friendly ' government next time

Thanks. I was particularly interested in LNG for exporting to Asia and the EU. I looked at APA and it seems like a decent fit. Thanks.

Thanks. I was particularly interested in LNG for exporting to Asia and the EU. I looked at APA and it seems like a decent fit. Thanks.
Check out Apa’s recent announcements about the pipeline they are building to connect the resources in NT to their grid. these are a absolutely huge resources and connecting them to the APA grid not only will bring them to southern markets, but also potentially to the LNG export terminals in Qld and NT.

Have you looked at APA.

Check out Apa’s recent announcements about the pipeline they are building to connect the resources in NT to their grid. these are a absolutely huge resources and connecting them to the APA grid not only will bring them to southern markets, but also potentially to the LNG export terminals in Qld and NT.

APA's recent plummet has pushed it into the oversold territory, signalling a potential near-term rally. However, investors should exercise caution before jumping in, as the stock is still firmly entrenched in a downtrend.

While the oversold condition suggests that the recent momentum is unsustainable and a bounce could be imminent, it's crucial to remember that the stock's overall trend is still bearish. Therefore, any near-term rally should be viewed as an opportunity to sell, rather than a signal to buy. The second rally could be a speculative buy.

Skate.

APA's recent plummet has pushed it into the oversold territory, signalling a potential near-term rally. However, investors should exercise caution before jumping in, as the stock is still firmly entrenched in a downtrend.

While the oversold condition suggests that the recent momentum is unsustainable and a bounce could be imminent, it's crucial to remember that the stock's overall trend is still bearish. Therefore, any near-term rally should be viewed as an opportunity to sell, rather than a signal to buy. The second rally could be a speculative buy.

Skate.
I think APA’s share price drop has mainly been the result of interest rate rises causing investors to seek higher dividend yields, so it’s not something to worry about, it’s just part of the interest rate cycle.

If anything it’s a positive for shareholders entering now, because they are getting a higher dividend yield than they would have a year ago.

BPT has some gas as well , but am not so sure on how much it exports

( i hold BPT )

and it can be rather volatile , great if you trade , bad for the nerves if you invest

watch out for government regulation changes

a decade ago the policy was ' export , export , export ' now there is worry about an East Coast supply shortage ( for the locals )