Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Japan Exposure

the banks are getting hit ...

Shares of Japan's three largest commercial banks collapsed 13-15%, according to trading data before the close. Shares of Japan's largest bank, MUFG, collapsed by 21%. This is the biggest drop in its history.

Japan's stock market has fallen more than 13% in the past 5 days. Stocks are on track for the biggest drop in more than 8 years.

Nikkei futures for sep 24 show a small level of confidence.
I have a suspicion that the confidence is based on hope more than anything else.
Mick
1722895923855.png

Nikkei futures were 5.9 per cent higher near 6.45am AEST and Topix futures were up 7.5 per cent, a sign that perhaps the selling pressure that has hammered Japanese stocks is poised to end.

Recent falls are > 20 per cent; the Topix plunged 12.2 per cent on Monday, its second-largest tumble on record - only Black Monday (20 Oct 1987) was worse. The index fell 6 per cent on 03 August and 3 per cent on 01 August.

Nikkei futures were 5.9 per cent higher near 6.45am AEST and Topix futures were up 7.5 per cent, a sign that perhaps the selling pressure that has hammered Japanese stocks is poised to end.

Recent falls are > 20 per cent; the Topix plunged 12.2 per cent on Monday, its second-largest tumble on record - only Black Monday (20 Oct 1987) was worse. The index fell 6 per cent on 03 August and 3 per cent on 01 August.
Currency exchange should be considered too.
My small amount of yen is booming vs usd while AUD is still falling vs USD.
If not edged, the fall of jap market is hard..but cushioned a bit for an Aussie

Does Japan affect us directly in any way or is it all via the DOW?

For example the recent carry trade kerfuffle affecting US markets and by extension the ASX. Tourism is one trade but I believe the buses obstructing the Cairns hinterland roads are full of the Chinese cousins rather than the Japanese ones.

They sell us many cars still but what do we get in return, prob some Steel/Fe ore, coal and other materials exports.

I've done a 🦆🦆 search most recent 2022 which was quite interesting.

https://oec.world/en/profile/bilateral-country/jpn/partner/aus

gg