Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Investing in Artificial Intelligence (AI)

AI, the words on everybody's lips. It has been around in radiology for quite a while. Medicine and AI are well suited to each other, and imaging and AI, even better suited. Of the FDA [U.S. Food & Drug Administration] cleared algorithms, roughly 80% that have been cleared in health care are in health care imaging. So, it is the hot area at the moment
- Sam Hupert, CEO, Pro Medicus Ltd

Technology & Sovereignty

The number of sovereign AI clouds [cloud data staying on home soil] that are being built is really quite significant. And my guess is that almost every major region will have, and surely, every major country will have their own AI cloud
- Jensen Huang, CEO, NVIDIA Corp

Winners And Losers: AI Versus PMI​

Who is actually using AI to turn a profit?

I'm not looking for theoretical capabilities. AFAIK the only people generating money on AI, are those selling AI.

I'm not looking for theoretical capabilities. AFAIK the only people generating money on AI, are those selling AI.
not me ( yet )

am still trying to formulate a way to make AI do consistent long term winners ( say 60% of the time )

being at heart a contrarian , i could possibly use it as a screening process ( rather than a series of scans i often do now )

For the past several years my business has received a regular phone call from Google, in the last couple of years a well mannered young man with an easier than usual understand American accent has been a regular caller. Always finished with a “have a nice day”, and I would respond and receive a thank you. I recently found out that I was talking to an artificial intelligence. If the source hadn’t told me I would never have known, the only thing I wondered was why the same person was still in the job for so long.

the pick and shovel providers?

From Friday's NY trades, a surprising one:

Dell Technologies helped drive the stock market after jumping 31.6%. It reported stronger profit and revenue for the latest quarter than analysts expected, highlighting demand for its AI-optimized servers.

A seemingly never-ending crescendo of demand for artificial-intelligence technology has helped catapult stocks higher over the last year. Dell has more than tripled in the last 12 months, while Nvidia has surged more than 260%.

NetApp leaped 18.2% after reporting stronger results than expected, saying it’s seeing “good momentum in AI.” The data company also gave a forecasted range for profit in the current quarter that topped what several analysts were expecting.

the pick and shovel providers?

From Friday's NY trades, a surprising one:

Dell Technologies helped drive the stock market after jumping 31.6%. It reported stronger profit and revenue for the latest quarter than analysts expected, highlighting demand for its AI-optimized servers.

A seemingly never-ending crescendo of demand for artificial-intelligence technology has helped catapult stocks higher over the last year. Dell has more than tripled in the last 12 months, while Nvidia has surged more than 260%.

NetApp leaped 18.2% after reporting stronger results than expected, saying it’s seeing “good momentum in AI.” The data company also gave a forecasted range for profit in the current quarter that topped what several analysts were expecting.

Sure, but what's being produced?
AI for AI's sake?
All we have at the moment are chat bots

I own a bunch of VGS, that’s the only exposure to AI I need.

its going to be to hard to pick the winners in this space, so I will leave it to the portion of my portfolio that’s on cruise control.

well i was thinking data centers/server farms years back

and among the companies chosen was KOV

among other things KOV makes fittings that resist moisture laden atmospheres ( which is used in many server complexes )

electrical companies will benefit to some extent , but RFX followed 'the Green Dream ; and is likely to end up as stuffed as a turkey ( on the Xmas table )

i hold KOV and RFX

Data centres are going up everywhere. Apparently there is one type that needs to be near an energy source and the other near the bulk of population. All the big companies are throwing billions into them.
This will essentially be the infrastructure of the AI revolution. Think Cisco in the 90s internet build out.

So software solutions, hardware development, ai enabled services, data annotation and labelling, education and training, the list is long. Working out the natural profit transition as each stage gets built out and to what overlaps what.

Data centres are going up everywhere. Apparently there is one type that needs to be near an energy source and the other near the bulk of population. All the big companies are throwing billions into them.
This will essentially be the infrastructure of the AI revolution. Think Cisco in the 90s internet build out.

So software solutions, hardware development, ai enabled services, data annotation and labelling, education and training, the list is long. Working out the natural profit transition as each stage gets built out and to what overlaps what.
so the first scan should be looking for undervalued utility companies , because renewable isn't 100% reliable yet ( and may never be )

then there is the land needed to build the data centres , then there are the sentry systems to keep the centres secure

probably won't be 10 baggers but a nice place to start generating early divs during this mania

the more courageous among us can look for construction companies that will survive the current issues ( rising interest , rising costs , shrinking skilled workers ) to build the fancy sheds

once someone actually turns on some of the computers , then you can work out which software companies are looking worthwhile

i tried chasing REITs focusing on industrial sheds , but they keep on getting taking over

Real world gain

What till AI puts the pr0n stars out of work.

Also anyone will be able to create their own movies of anything. So will need a platform to showcase them on. I should probably create that now.

Also anyone will be able to create their own movies of anything. So will need a platform to showcase them on. I should probably create that now.

Lol yeah if all such stuff was AI it might put downward pressure on hoeflation, which can only be a good thing for the general edification and advancement of humanity at large.

Good concept, a youtube of sort but dedicated to ai user produced movies, with a Netflix like interface.
YouTube is too focused on smiling fat cats and vblob to fit that specific format.
You platform will have or not an adult section...pun intended

Lol yeah if all such stuff was AI it might put downward pressure on hoeflation, which can only be a good thing for the general edification and advancement of humanity at large.
Look at it that way: internet offered mankind free top education and a wealth of accessible knowledge:
By 2024, most of internet traffic is pr0n or sent selfies.
I do not expect AI to be different:
Will be overly used for sexual fantasy and scams ..dumbing people even further..yes you can
not sure it will advance mankind

Look at it that way: internet offered mankind free top education and a wealth of accessible knowledge:
By 2024, most of internet traffic is pr0n or sent selfies.
I do not expect AI to be different:
Will be overly used for sexual fantasy and scams ..dumbing people even further..yes you can
not sure it will advance mankind
I do think the dumbing down will be a big problem. Why learn anything if ai can do it for you. The problem then becomes: what history are they actually teaching you. It's too easy to change the narrative on these programs as seen on Googles ai.

I still haven't seen an ai that answers all questions with straight answers.

I still haven't seen an ai that answers all questions with straight answers.
yep , but i saw that coming

BTW .. AI has been worked at for years remember when they were trying to beat chess masters with computers .. that was genuine AI

when i was in a computer club many years back , i saw industry professionals working on predictive spam ( and malware ) filters ( at ISP level )

how is that going ??

that was at least ten years back

With regards to Ark Investments. Cathie Wood's take on the next "FANGS" as per this YT vid. She includes Genomics, thanks to AI, warning though, the poster has a Ferrari (and Telsa) EV focus.