Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

This is the elephant in the room IMO, the Governments can't just keep giving lump sum rebates forever, sooner or later the electricity cost has to hit the bottom line of everything.
Plus we are converting everything over to electrical powered, so it is kind of a compounding affect, that hasn't seemed to have been recognised from an infaltionary context.
Just my two cents worth.

The sluggish buildout of clean energy generation will drive up wholesale power prices far more than expected by the end of the decade, leaving households with little chance of bill relief beyond this year’s pause.

Analysts at UBS now expect prices to peak at $104 per megawatt hour by 2029, 20 per cent higher than this year’s forecast and almost 50 per cent more than 2023

This is the elephant in the room IMO, the Governments can't just keep giving lump sum rebates forever, sooner or later the electricity cost has to hit the bottom line of everything.
Plus we are converting everything over to electrical powered, so it is kind of a compounding affect, that hasn't seemed to have been recognised from an infaltionary context.
Just my two cents worth.

The sluggish buildout of clean energy generation will drive up wholesale power prices far more than expected by the end of the decade, leaving households with little chance of bill relief beyond this year’s pause.

Analysts at UBS now expect prices to peak at $104 per megawatt hour by 2029, 20 per cent higher than this year’s forecast and almost 50 per cent more than 2023
I wish the Canberra coat seat warmers would get on with resolving the problem rather than arguing for weeks on end about future power generation. The rest of Australia is suffering while they throw slurs at each other and finger point. If general business worked like this nothing would get done.

I wish the Canberra coat seat warmers would get on with resolving the problem rather than arguing for weeks on end about future power generation. The rest of Australia is suffering while they throw slurs at each other and finger point. If general business worked like this nothing would get done.
you need to read an old Australian novel , Power without Glory ( by Frank Hardy , if i remember correctly )

sure it is about things decades ago , BUT the more things change ......

creating methane is what they do best ( a close second comes red tape )

remember the RBA needs to crush demand ie leave the masses dirt-poor , to beat inflation
Partially. If there's a supply-side issue then the supply side needs to be improved. Rate hikes actually reduce supply as well, they just reduce demand more.

Rate rises are a very blunt instrument.
Most of the top 4 bank predictions for IR have been woeful over the past few years.
What the rba should be doing and what it is are two very different things.
The thing is where is the money coming from that's making prices inflate?
Not that simple. Yes it's a factor, and printing cash can (will) cause a short term spike, but inflation should come back down once you turn the printers off.

The fact that it hasn't tells you that there's more going on.
house prices are way overpriced
And this is the one thing that they (and we all know who "they" are) will do anything to keep high.
From the latest RBA figures, we can see t it all began with the massive injection of funds post covid.
Again, this will explain a short term spike. If it were this simple then turning the printers off would return things to normal and it hasn't. There's more to it.
An issue in Australia is we have a lot of structural inefficiencies and bottlenecks
This. But it's not just for aus, there's a lot of structural global issues creating supply problems and they are not going to go away.
Govt can only increase the tax take from the consumers, or from the miners, there really isn't any other taxable sector as there is minimal manufacturing.
The only thing left is inheritance tax and that's political suicide. The only way they'd even begin to get that passed would be for it to apply as a small percentage to large estates, which would raise some revenue but not nearly enough.
bracket creep
This, I suspect, is what they're actually trying to do without telling the public that it's what they're trying to do.

It's what I'd do.

The cost of freighting goods and raw materials around the globe is always going to be red into final prices.
Container freight rates have been rising rising are now at the highest rate on record.

1720423949368.png

A quick look at the Baltic Dry Index sees a pattern of of a rising chanel.
1720423881820.png
Mick

The cost of freighting goods and raw materials around the globe is always going to be red into final prices.
Container freight rates have been rising rising are now at the highest rate on record.

View attachment 180230

A quick look at the Baltic Dry Index sees a pattern of of a rising chanel.
View attachment 180229
Mick

A lot of shipping companies are taking the long way around, avoiding the Red Sea and the Taiwan Strait.

I tend to agree with you @BossMan.
Mick
I think the problem has no palable solution: either default or hyperinflation .
In the meantime, feds are just gifting taxpayer money to their bank mates, and probably getting as much as they can until either Trump stops the merry go round, or the whole show collapses
My bet is on hyperinflation,which does not mean that even with benign rates well below cpi, a depression can be avoided.
If anyone remembers the 1970s/1980s, inflation, unemployment....and in some countries low rates..not here..

I think the problem has no palable solution: either default or hyperinflation .
In the meantime, feds are just gifting taxpayer money to their bank mates, and probably getting as much as they can until either Trump stops the merry go round, or the whole show collapses
My bet is on hyperinflation,which does not mean that even with benign rates well below cpi, a depression can be avoided.
If anyone remembers the 1970s/1980s, inflation, unemployment....and in some countries low rates..not here..
Contrary to popular belief, Trump was always part of the system, the so called swamp.
He benefitted from it, got his start because of it, made his money from it, and only bagged it when it suited him.
Mick