Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

No, you thought I said that it was THE major factor and have been trying to defeat that argument, but it's not the argument I made, I said A major factor.

You simply misread my post and have kept digging the hole.

Your precious "the", that I said, came in post #3663. My first comment in response to your post "It is a major contributing factor", came in post #3636
I don't know what you're trying to prove by showing me what I know I said and agree with. I agree that the Russian oil sanction is not a major contributor to the current high inflation. Whereas you are trying to prove what you said "Absolute garbage." "It is a major contributing factor, to be fair."​
I'm glad you mentioned the "strawman argument" first, pretty much what you have been doing for the past few posts.​

My brother in law is a Prof in Economics. Bought thousands of acres in a Californian Desert many moons ago. One day my nephew said to me 'Don't understand the mentality. How do you talk to someone who thinks they know everything?" Americans are supposed to be politically correct; I almost fell off my chair........

Your precious "the", that I said, came in post #3663. My first comment in response to your post "It is a major contributing factor", came in post #3636
I don't know what you're trying to prove by showing me what I know I said and agree with. I agree that the Russian oil sanction is not a major contributor to the current high inflation. Whereas you are trying to prove what you said "Absolute garbage." "It is a major contributing factor, to be fair."​
I'm glad you mentioned the "strawman argument" first, pretty much what you have been doing for the past few posts.​
Nope, lying again. My first post saying A factor, that you replied to/argued with in 3636, was 3634:

It is a major contributing factor, to be fair.

And I am not one to let public officials off the hook lightly.

Here you go, read and be enlightened -

But the funniest part of all of this is this:

Your own link literally says "yes, higher food and energy prices as a result of the war are almost certainly a contributory factor to current inflation levels".

It actually made my argument, not yours.

It also says "All the war has done is exacerbate a pre-existing inflation". So even if we were arguing about whether the war is a factor (which we're not), your own link says the opposite anyway.

But seeing as all this is getting tiresome now:

If you genuinely think that the russia-ukraine war and subsequent sanctions etc are not a major contributing factor to inflation then you simply do not know what you are talking about, and if if anyone is in any kind of doubt about this, the very fact that you actually linked "the economist" confirms it.

432563475347376.jpg

Big tech missed earnings estimates but everything else has mostly been ok.

Something to keep an eye on.

If you genuinely think that the russia-ukraine war and subsequent sanctions etc are not a major contributing factor to inflation
My view is it's a factor but not the only one.

Bearing in mind gas has a lot of relevance in the context of Russia, this sums it up fairly well.

Chart source = Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC):

1676659064729.png

But seeing as all this is getting tiresome now:

If you genuinely think that the russia-ukraine war and subsequent sanctions etc are not a major contributing factor to inflation then you simply do not know what you are talking about, and if if anyone is in any kind of doubt about this, the very fact that you actually linked "the economist" confirms it.

Here you go, read and be enlightened -

Is Inflation Putin’s Fault? | Dominion Funds

"Higher food and energy prices as a result of the war are almost certainly a contributory factor to current inflation levels."

Thanks, your link made my point :)

"Higher food and energy prices as a result of the war are almost certainly a contributory factor to current inflation levels."

Thanks, your link made my point :)

I'm glad that you finally see it.

"In response to the pandemic the world’s central banks printed a lot of money. Money printing, historically at least, has been inflationary. Close to 30% of the dollars in circulation today in the global financial system were printed in the last two years. It’s no coincidence, we would argue, that many of the 2 year inflation numbers for assets like housing, or even personal consumption goods like cars or eating out, have seen prices rise by about 30%. All of that new money had to find somewhere to go."

Perspectives from a recently laid off software engineer
Great video.
Two things I took from it, one that as technology improves no white collar job is safe and two from about the 4min 45 sec point everyone should practice these tips from when they leave school, not just when you have lost a job.
Until you have your spare money making money for you, you shouldn't be wasting it, just my opinion as usual.

I'm glad that you finally see it.

"In response to the pandemic the world’s central banks printed a lot of money. Money printing, historically at least, has been inflationary. Close to 30% of the dollars in circulation today in the global financial system were printed in the last two years. It’s no coincidence, we would argue, that many of the 2 year inflation numbers for assets like housing, or even personal consumption goods like cars or eating out, have seen prices rise by about 30%. All of that new money had to find somewhere to go."
You're making an argument I never disagreed with, with a link that doesn't say what you think it does, against an argument I never made.

But keep trying to misdirect ;)

Oh and in case you're wondering john, I don't actually care what your link says anyway. If it agrees with you (which it doesn't) then it's simply as wrong as you are, I'm just pointing out that it doesn't even actually say what you think it does, so you're wrong either way :)

Hooray, 50:50, win, win. Congratulations. All settled now, good morning.
No, not at all. He simply misread my post thinking I said that it's the major factor rather than a major factor, got called on it, and is now just ignoring that little mistake entirely and acting as if I said a major factor and trying to shoot that down instead whilst also being wrong about that too.

We weren't arguing about whether it's a major factor, we were arguing about whether it's the major factor but he messed that bit up and has continued to act as if it never happened and is now trying to argue that it's not a major factor (which is not a point I ever originally made), which he's wrong about anyway. Even funnier than that, the link he's trying to use to make his argument actually makes mine but he's acting as if that's not the case either. The whole thing's been a total self-own.

The guy's a moron that's been caught with his pants down and is now trying to dig himself out of the hole he got into, nothing more.

As I said previously, he misinterpreted my argument (so was wrong from the beginning) and has now failed to even win the argument against what he thought I was saying.

I'll restate this for him and anyone else:

If you genuinely think that the russia-ukraine war is not a major contributing factor to inflation, you're an idiot, irrespective of what any moronic links from the economist or any other widely-considered-to-be-absolute-hacks-among-people-who-actually-know-what-they're-talking-about publications happen to say.

Linking the economist is the finance/economics equivalent of "you have neon blue hair, your opinion is invalid".