Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

...in today's email

Reactions
:)

Two Choices

What would you do? ... you make the choice. Don't look for a punch line,
there isn't one, but please do read it anyway.

My question is: Would you have made the same choice?

At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled
children, the father of one of the students delivered a speech that
would never be forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the
school and its dedicated staff, he offered a question:

"When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature
does is done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as
other children do. He cannot understand things as other children do.
Where is the natural order of things in my son?"

The audience was stilled by the query.

The father continued. "I believe that when a child like Shay,
physically and mentally handicapped comes into the world,
an opportunity to realize true human nature presents itself,
and it comes in the way other people treat that child."

Then he told the following story:

Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay
knew were playing baseball. Shay asked, "Do you think they'll let me play?"
Shay's father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like
Shay on their team, but the father also understood that if his son were
allowed to play, it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and
some confidence to be accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.

Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked
(not expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for
guidance and said,
"We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning.
I guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat
in the ninth inning."

Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a broad smile,
put on a team shirt. His Father watched with a small tear in his eye
and warmth in his heart. The boys saw the father's joy at his son being
accepted. In the bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few
runs but was still behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay
put on a glove and played in the right field. Even though no hits came
his way, he was obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field,
grinning from ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands.
In the bottom of the ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with
two outs and the bases loaded, the potential winning run was on base
and Shay was scheduled to be next at bat.

At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance
to win the game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat. Everyone knew
that a hit was all but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to
hold the bat properly, much less connect with the ball.

However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that
the other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life,
moved in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make
contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The
pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay.
As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball
right back to the pitcher. The game would now be over. The pitcher picked
up the soft grounder and could have easily thrown the ball to the first
baseman. Shay would have been out and that would have been
the end of the game.

Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman's head,
out of reach of all team mates. Everyone from the stands and both teams
started yelling, "Shay, run to first! Run to first!" Never in his life had
Shay ever run that far, but he made it to first base. He scampered down
the baseline, wide-eyed and startled.

Everyone yelled, "Run to second, run to second!" Catching his breath,
Shay awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make
it to the base. By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right
fielder had the ball ... the smallest guy on their team who now had his
first chance to be the hero for his team. He could have thrown the ball
to the second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher's
intentions so he, too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the
third-baseman's head. Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the
runners ahead of him circled the bases toward home.

All were screaming, "Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay"

Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him
by turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted,
"Run to third! Shay, run to third!"

As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators,
were on their feet screaming, "Shay, run home! Run home!"
Shay ran to home, stepped on the plate, and was cheered as the hero
who hit the grand slam and won the game for his team.

"That day", said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face,
"the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and
humanity into this world".

Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having
never forgotten being the hero and making his father so happy and
coming home and seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her
little hero of the day!

----

AND NOW A LITTLE FOOTNOTE TO THIS STORY: We all send thousands
of jokes through the e-mail without a second thought, but when it
comes to sending messages about life choices, people hesitate.
The crude, vulgar, and often obscene pass freely through cyberspace,
but public discussion about decency is too often suppressed in our
schools and workplaces.

If you're thinking about forwarding this message, chances are that
you're probably sorting out the people in your address book who aren't
the "appropriate" ones to receive this type of message. Well, the person
who sent you this believes that we all can make a difference. We all
have thousands of opportunities every single day to help realize the
"natural order of things." So many seemingly trivial interactions
between two people present us with a choice:

Do we pass along a little spark of love and humanity or do we pass up
those opportunities and leave the world a little bit colder in the process?

A wise man once said, that every society is judged by how it treats
it's least fortunate amongst them.

You now have two choices:
1. Delete
2. Forward

May your day, be a Shay Day.

:)

Re: ..... in today's email.

top post m8 ;)
you wonder if kids would really do that. (maybe let em get to first base - not sure about the multiple home run lol)

way off the subject of your story - which is a beauty - but I used to coach kids baseball - it was hilarious. One kid hit straight to pitcher, ran towards first, seeing first baseman with the ball, he stops, thinks, mild panic, turns, runs back to the security of plate lol.

And Murphy being Murphy, as coach , you always seemed to have timed it so that the batters with the worst stats stepped up to the plate when you needed that vital home run ;) - (but you're right - when they connected it was great - especially for them ) . You'd think back at the end of a season like that, and you'd say -

at start of season he was great, and ended fraction better -
at start of season she was hopeless, but we smiled and let her
my will-to-win took second place (and now I can't forget-her)
cos then she hit the winning run - ..and I'm now my conscience's debtor ** ;)
of all the kids I coached that year, I happiest I met her.

note .. **debtor :- used in the sense of "a person who owes a creditor; someone who has the obligation of paying a debt " ;)

ahh - I used to be as democratic as possible, and every kid in that team played every position during the season. Kids had a ball.

I also turned up once to a game to play - seniors team lol - F?, G ?- forget - we had a couple of reserves that day - I had the trailer on the back of the car loaded with rubbish - I said - "if you need me I'll play, otherwise I'm off to the dump" - they said - "ahhh up to you, mmm , better stick around". So then the game gets REAL interesting - I come to bat and the bases are loaded. I missed a couple of pitches, then connected with "the sweet spot" ;) - made a grand slam home run ( i.e. 4 got home) - - to be honest it took an error to let me get home from third - to this day the other blokes haven't forgiven me for not going to the dump - like they all wished it had been their turn at bat lol.

Special Olympics

Thanks for posting this, Paul. Even if the story is apocryphal, it's a good reminder to all of us. There's much we can do if we just become aware of others' needs instead of just focusing on our own.

AND NOW A LITTLE FOOTNOTE TO THIS STORY: We all send thousands
of jokes through the e-mail without a second thought, but when it
comes to sending messages about life choices, people hesitate.
The crude, vulgar, and often obscene pass freely through cyberspace,
but public discussion about decency is too often suppressed in our
schools and workplaces.

You now have two choices:
1. Delete
2. Forward

To be honest I find these kinds of emails frustrating and tedious. Theres a reason why people send jokes (sometimes crude and vulgar) via email and its because its provides light relief from the sometimes boring and repetitive everyday tasks at work. Can you imagine having to regularly mull over these overly sentimental emails and be reminded of all of the less fortunate people in the world on a daily basis? What a terrible thought :crap:. My life is stressful enough, I'll take the crude jokes any day.

Also, I think most people are fair and decent by nature and are entitled to make their own decisions regarding their life choices, without your advice. Thats why people hesitate before sending emails about life choices because I think most people understand that it is not their place or yours to lecture others on how to behave. I for one don't need you or anyone else to write me long winded feel good stories as some kind of reminder of what the 'right' thing to do is. Mate feel free to behave as you see fit, and run through your own hypothetical situations all day long if you must, but please oh please don't impose your 'holier than thou' stuff on the rest of us.:banghead:

I take choice number 1, delete.

WC :cool:

Woodchips,

Heaven forbid that you should ever have to think of anyone less fortunate than yourself! How dare those disabled, disadvantaged people even be allowed to exist!

To be honest I find these kinds of emails frustrating and tedious. Theres a reason why people send jokes (sometimes crude and vulgar) via email and its because its provides light relief from the sometimes boring and repetitive everyday tasks at work. Can you imagine having to regularly mull over these overly sentimental emails and be reminded of all of the less fortunate people in the world on a daily basis? What a terrible thought :crap:. My life is stressful enough, I'll take the crude jokes any day.

Also, I think most people are fair and decent by nature and are entitled to make their own decisions regarding their life choices, without your advice. Thats why people hesitate before sending emails about life choices because I think most people understand that it is not their place or yours to lecture others on how to behave. I for one don't need you or anyone else to write me long winded feel good stories as some kind of reminder of what the 'right' thing to do is. Mate feel free to behave as you see fit, and run through your own hypothetical situations all day long if you must, but please oh please don't impose your 'holier than thou' stuff on the rest of us.:banghead:

But woodchips, you still had the motivation to reply to this long, tedious waste of time about life choices. Why did you respond? Surely you have better things to do? Or maybe you care enough to want to have people respond in a particular way, with a particular kind of feeling. Don't you have better things to do with your time?

Sorry if this sounds a little aggressive, but you can't write a reply bagging a concept without explaining why you bothered to respond in the first place.

I take choice number 1, delete
think I agree with your conclusion WC, - I would never email any of those things on to others (especially fiction) - probably post em here instead lol
shinbone !! and all this time I thought I was steering clear of hypocrisy. ;)

Incidentally , I think that chatrooms are great for discussing these topics - even this conversation :2twocents

My rant back there was just that a coach will arguably get as much or more out of bringing a poor player up to good, as a good player up to very good ( imo) (and you may note I didn't mention "the kid's dying wish" etcetc - Julias right there - melodramatic fiction - what right etc)

- Not sure how it works for school teachers , but must be something similar you'd think - I'm way out of my depth if you're talking school teaching tho. But I know a teacher who has taken on "impossible" kids, and given them a chance in various sporting teams, etc, and taken them to within a hair's breadth of winning state finals. - and changed their outlook in the process - bit like "To Sir With Love", "Sister Act 2(?)" Whoopi Goldberg etc , all over again.

Well, well, Woodchips :eek: ... What an overwhelming lack of empathy. I'd say you have a heavy conscience.

"To be honest I find these kinds of emails frustrating and tedious."

Why? You could have simply ignored it, but you just couldn't resist engaging, could you!?

Secondly, no one was lectureing anyone. Far from it, I saw it as simply a thought provoking question."My question is: Would you have made the same choice?"

Thirdly, if anyone was lectureing, I'd say it was you, "...but please oh please don't impose your 'holier than thou' stuff on the rest of us."

I wonder how you would feel if the boot was on the other foot!

I have seen the world from both sides now. I was born a perfectly healthy young kid... and now classified disabled. Even my avatar, my pet cat is disabled. He had to have a leg amputated because of someone's idea of a crude joke... to use him as target practice.

Woodchips, some wise person also said, be careful what you wish for... it might come true.

An alternative point of view from Snopes.com regarding the same story.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/chush.asp

Were this story taken as the model for how we should all behave around the less-abled, those struggling with very real physical and mental shortcomings would never get to show off what they can do nor experience the honest praise of admiring teammates and co-workers for their actual contributions, because pity-driven exercises in make-believe would rob them of their every chance to be seen as actual people.

Others have had a shot already and my intent is not to gang up, just an observation.

Your post I'd say is symptomatic of the sociological pathology inflicting today's Australia. It's good to see that there are still people who intrinsically reject this kind of thinking.

I didn't see it as holier than thou at all, it made me feel fantastic that people still think this way in this money chasing, keep up with the Jones' at all costs, uncool to be caring world.

The story may be apocryphal, but there are incidences of this generosity of spirit every single day if you look. I wouldn't want to live in this world without it.

:2twocents

Were this story taken as the model for how we should all behave around the less-abled, those struggling with very real physical and mental shortcomings would never get to show off what they can do nor experience the honest praise of admiring teammates and co-workers for their actual contributions, because pity-driven exercises in make-believe would rob them of their every chance to be seen as actual people.
I can see this writers point to a degree. But there are other factors in instances such as this story (and real life versions thereof) that in many cases, over-ride those concerns.

The physically handicapped people I know, invoke the authors attitude all by themselves. With mentally handicapped people, or young children with no prospect of long term survival, it's a whole 'nuther bowl of wax.

:2twocents

I have just read the link and this person has completely missed the point also. A good example of some so-called able-bodied people who have an interlectual problem. They clearly don't comprehend the facts and the truth... but are over-come by their initial impulses and emotional pre-disposition.

It was plainly stated that Shaya was a child with obviously very serious medical issues (since he died within a year) including a mental dissability. This "exercises in make-believe would rob them of their every chance to be seen as actual people" is an absolutely nonsense statement, because the simple fact is that these people saw Shaya exactly for what he was... an actual terminal mentally disabled boy.

Shaya simply was not able to comprehend whether he was being humoured or not. All Shaya experienced was an overwhelming sense of appreciation and encouragement, the sort of exhileration that able bodied people experience often.

In fact it was a very "honest praise of admiring teammates" for his "actual contributions" because as stated in the story Shaya also struggled with movement and had never achieved anything like this before.

It pays to pay attention.

Whiskers, You'd probably say/ agree that elephants and cows get more attention that fellow humans around Aus ;) - (and a lot of landmines in third world as we all know ) - btw, I obviously have no idea of what is the ailment you suffer from - and it can remain untold for mine -
but using prosthetic legs as an example...
http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/2006/s1741884.htm Three-legged Tasmanian cow to get prosthetic leg - Friday, 15/09/2006

Tasmania's now famous three-legged dairy cow, Theresa, looks like becoming the first in Australia to have a prosthetic leg.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2005/08/29/1448757.htm Elephant landmine victim fitted with prosthetic foot- Aug 29, 2005

Thailand's most famous elephant, a landmine victim called Motala, has been given a temporary prosthetic foot to prepare her for having a permanent limb fitted in several months.....

Motala has been recovering at an elephant hospital at Lampang in north-western Thailand, which is also home to other landmine victims and elephants injured in other industrial accidents including treading on nails.

Motala was working hauling logs inside the Myanmar border when the accident happened in August 1999. She trod on a mine, a legacy of the decades of conflict there, after being released by her Thai owner to forage for food.

Thais, who revere elephants as a national symbol, monitored Motala's progress through regular televised medical reports and donated millions of baht for her recovery despite the kingdom's worst recession on record.
I guess, since that Kiwi bloke just climbed Mt Everest with prosthetic leg, you almost ignore such difficulties and "move on".:eek: (please don't think I'm trivialising it though).

Reminds me of Monty Python again ... "as for your application for the role of Tarzan - we have nothing against your left leg - trouble is, neither have you ;)

But (final point) - did I not hear recently that some bloke with prosthetic leg was probably going to be denied permission to run against able bodied two - legged people, because of unfair advantage lol. (still being reviewed I guess) :2twocents

Let me re-iterate - I found the story to be painfully corny and clichéd. Forgetting for the moment the irrelevant specifics of the story, we might ask a more realistic and general question:

If you were given the opportunity to play ball with a disabled child knowing that you'd be giving him/her pleasure by doing so, would you take the opportunity?

And the answer is, yes. :22_yikes: What a shock. Isn't that obvious? Most people would go out of their way to make a kid like that happy because its human nature to do so. Point is that the original story had plenty of words but very little substance to it although im sure there are many boring and conservative people out there who get a warm fuzzy feeling after reading it . But for most others, this just doesn't cut it:eek:. If you have inspirational stories from Camp Quality or the like go ahead and tell them, I'd love to hear it, but this? This is just sentimental crap.

Whiskers, I refer solely to the way in which the topic was presented and in no way did I intend to offend disabled persons or cats.

Let me re-iterate - I found the story to be painfully corny and clichéd. Forgetting for the moment the irrelevant specifics of the story, we might ask a more realistic and general question:

If you were given the opportunity to play ball with a disabled child knowing that you'd be giving him/her pleasure by doing so, would you take the opportunity?

And the answer is, yes. :22_yikes: What a shock. Isn't that obvious? Most people would go out of their way to make a kid like that happy because its human nature to do so. Point is that the original story had plenty of words but very little substance to it although im sure there are many boring and conservative people out there who get a warm fuzzy feeling after reading it . But for most others, this just doesn't cut it:eek:. If you have inspirational stories from Camp Quality or the like go ahead and tell them, I'd love to hear it, but this? This is just sentimental crap.

Whiskers, I refer solely to the way in which the topic was presented and in no way did I intend to offend disabled persons or cats.

Fair points WC,

But unfortunately tainted with the ad hominem non-sequitur. It would be good if you can make your case without the same.

wayneL(Mod)

OK - here's an example somewhat similar ....
A couple of boys/ young men who are brave enough to post on youtube - one stating in his first sentce "I know I'm ugly" etc .

The Voyeur Rod McKuen
“I’ve been a stranger all my life –
to everything and everyone
just passing through this lonely world
until my journeying is done”

You’ll see that “voyeurology101” is taking up his fight on his behalf ;)
Did I feel sorrow for this kid? – sorrow/pity was irrelevant really - just wanted to support him in his efforts that’s all.:2twocents

Then there's this bloke.. (showing he has a sentimental side)
Little Wonders: Its the heart that really matters in the end

Maybe Mark Wills has the correct attitude (?) :2twocents
Mark Wills - Don't Laugh At Me
"don't get your pleasure from my pain" - BRILLIANT ;)

You just don't get it, do you Woodchips!?

You say "the original story had plenty of words but very little substance to it" and the story was as a "hypothetical situation" and "just sentimental crap".

If you would follow the link to the site that Basilisk provided, you would find that it was reported to be a true story. The substance was real human flesh, blood and empathy.

WayneL says in response to your 2nd post "Fair points WC,
But unfortunately tainted with the ad hominem non-sequitur. It would be good if you can make your case without the same
."

WayneL, I beg to differ that it is a fair point in any way. That would be a contridiction of terms... like half pregnant, because as you later rightly say it is tainted with ad hominem non-sequitur.

Main Entry: ad ho·mi·nem
Pronunciation: (')ad-'hä-m&-"nem, -n&m
Function: adjective
Etymology: New Latin, literally, to the person
1 : appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect
2 : marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made​

Main Entry: non se·qui·tur
Pronunciation: 'nän-'se-kw&-t&r also -"tur
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, it does not follow
1 : an inference that does not follow from the premises; specifically : a fallacy resulting from a simple conversion of a universal affirmative proposition or from the transposition of a condition and its consequent
2 : a statement (as a response) that does not follow logically from or is not clearly related to anything previously said​

Woodchips! Your hypocrisy [a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings] and sarcasm [ implies an intentional inflicting of pain by deriding, taunting, or ridiculing] is evident everywhere, because as you demonstrate (despite what you say)... your inner self has spoken (impulsively) to delete and criticise that which you say you support, and see's you as of inferior piety and morality.

Main Entry: ho·li·er-than-thou
Pronunciation: "hO-lE-&r-[th]&n-'[th]au
Function: adjective
: marked by an air of superior piety or morality​

Woodchips, you start out with this sarcastic bit "...but please oh please don't impose your 'holier than thou' stuff on the rest of us."

Woodchips you now say you refer "solely to the way the topic was presented"... but that clearly contradicts your first post where you were clearly sarcastic of the content. "Can you imagine having to regularly mull over these overly sentimental emails and be reminded of all of the less fortunate people in the world on a daily basis? What a terrible thought .", plus the aforementioned charming sarcasism; "hypothetical situation" and "just sentimental crap".

And then there is this charming piece of hypocrisy Woodchips in your own words... "My life is stressful enough, I'll take the crude jokes any day." So what chance do you really have to tolerate handicaped people in your face at home or work all day every day?

See the hypocrisy woodchips... these people are in the world working beside or depending on someone everyday... good thing no handicaped people work with or depend on you. You might make a token jesture of appreciation for a moment, but the fact is you cannot tolerate a harmless email that wasn't even directed to you personally,but prefer a crude joke any day. If that's not disrespectful to handicaped people I don't know what is.

Woodchips, this story was posted on a public forum, not your personal email. You didn't have to click on it, and you didn't have to read it... but you did, and you certainly didn't have to respond to it... but you couldn't resist, tainted with ad hominem non-sequitur (as wayneL so eloquontely put it). and that is not just disrespectful to handicapped people, but an empathetic society generally.

2020hindsight,

I don't say that elephants and cows get more attention than humans. How on earth did you arrive at a rediculous assertion like that and what has that got to do with anything?

I purposely did not and will not elaborate on my dissability, because that is not important for the discussion. I, like many disabled try to lead as normal a life as possible and go about our lives without making any issue of it.

As I see it there was no issue with this thread, until woodchips aired his toxic thoughts, then woodchips attitude became the issue.

I trust you are not being disrespectful, but I find your later posts somewhat clouded in ambiguity. What is the point you are trying to make with your ;) and :2twocents worth?

Like Woodchips said, if I could make a disabled kid happy by playing ball with him for a few minutes, I would. However, I don't see the need to write an email (or forward an email) about it.

Hi stoxclimber.

I don't necessairly see the need to write an email (or forward an email) about it either, for that matter, (even though it is reported to be a true story) but that is not the point.

The point is the nature of woodchips criticism of;
  1. peoples right to post them on a public forum, not his personal email, and
  2. his intolerance of people who have a more empathetic position than himself.