Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Great Companies

Reactions
Hello you very wonderful and intelligent people that make up this forum, i sincerely hope things are going well for you.

I have continued to learn about value investing this year through books and courses. I am extremely grateful to the amazing people on these forums who have answered my questions, you are all wonderful. I kindly wanted to ask what Small Cap to Medium Cap stocks, you might have on your watchlist or invested in please? I generally look for stocks with little debt, high cash flow production and high operating margins as a few requirements. If anyone could kindly share anything they are interested in that they feel has excellent growth over the next few years please it would mean the world to me and i would be forever grateful. I am always on the lookout for new stocks that could have growth like Amazon stock did in its early years. It would help give me ideas and i could do some research on the stock.

Sending you lots of good wishes and i truly hope you become massively successful, you deserve it. Have a fantastic weekend and all the very best.

Honestly, I believe you are much better finding your own businesses to become a part owner of. As soon as you take tips or ideas from others you start down the road of buying other people's conviction, something I have found is problematic.

I suggest once you are confident of the metrics you want to use to assess business quality then use some or all of them as a filter. You will find that the world of investible businesses on the ASX is quite small! Most of the 3000 odd businesses listed are rubbish, never made a profit, too much debt, no growth, no dividends etc. Then just work your way thru the list.

Something like QuickFS is great for having a high level look at businesses that might be worth a deeper dive, you can see metrics for the last 10 years and details of the Income statements, balance sheets and cash flow statements for the last 10 years.

Honestly, I believe you are much better finding your own businesses to become a part owner of. As soon as you take tips or ideas from others you start down the road of buying other people's conviction, something I have found is problematic.

I suggest once you are confident of the metrics you want to use to assess business quality then use some or all of them as a filter. You will find that the world of investible businesses on the ASX is quite small! Most of the 3000 odd businesses listed are rubbish, never made a profit, too much debt, no growth, no dividends etc. Then just work your way thru the list.

Something like QuickFS is great for having a high level look at businesses that might be worth a deeper dive, you can see metrics for the last 10 years and details of the Income statements, balance sheets and cash flow statements for the last 10 years.
Great Companies well Qantas was once.
Now I have just been reading where the be-speckled ex-CEO flogged off 90% of his share holding in QAN at the top price, a cool $17 million. Amazing that he could avail himself to sell at that, the highest SP during a AAAC inquiry,
Is it any wonder he jumped off the plane a couple of months early

great companies grow via good management , great companies go bad when they become a transition lounge for high profile directors and 'brand ambassadors '

so a warning sign should be when a company started becoming a 'retirement package ' for retired politicians and union leaders

obviously QAN was failing back when the Irishman ascended to the throne in preference to the other home-grown aviation CEO candidate , but it took me a while to work out the new CEO was full of blarney ( i could have had that cash invested somewhere better two or three years earlier )