Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

GLP-1 agonists; diabetes drug and now weight loss

Dona Ferentes

A little bit OC⚡DC
Reactions

GLP-1 agonists: Diabetes drugs and weight loss

Are there any type 2 diabetes drugs that can help people lose weight and lower their blood sugar? Are there side effects?​

There's a class of type 2 diabetes drugs that not only improves blood sugar control but may also lead to weight loss. This class of drugs is commonly called glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) agonists.

Weight loss can vary depending on which GLP-1 drug you use and your dose. Studies have found that all GLP-1 drugs can lead to weight loss of about 10.5 to 15.8 pounds (4.8 to 7.2 kilograms, or kg) when using liraglutide. Studies found people using semaglutide and making lifestyle changes lost about 33.7 pounds (15.3 kilograms) versus 5.7 pounds (2.6 kilograms) in those who didn't use the drug.

Diabetes drugs in the GLP-1 agonists class are generally taken by a shot (injection) given daily or weekly and include:
  • Dulaglutide (Trulicity) (weekly)
  • Exenatide extended release (Bydureon bcise) (weekly)
  • Exenatide (Byetta) (twice daily)
  • Semaglutide (Ozempic) (weekly)
  • Liraglutide (Victoza, Saxenda) (daily)
  • Lixisenatide (Adlyxin) (daily)
  • Semaglutide (Rybelsus) (taken by mouth once daily)
These drugs mimic the action of a hormone called glucagon-like peptide 1. When blood sugar levels start to rise after someone eats, these drugs stimulate the body to produce more insulin. The extra insulin helps lower blood sugar levels.
Lower blood sugar levels are helpful for controlling type 2 diabetes. But it's not clear how the GLP-1 drugs lead to weight loss. Doctors do know that GLP-1s appear to help curb hunger. These drugs also slow the movement of food from the stomach into the small intestine. As a result, you may feel full faster and longer, so you eat less.

Along with helping to control blood sugar and boost weight loss, GLP-1s and SGLT-2 inhibitors seem to have other major benefits. Research has found that some drugs in these groups may lower the risk of heart disease, such as heart failure, stroke and kidney disease. People taking these drugs have seen their blood pressure and cholesterol levels improve. But it's not clear whether these benefits are from the drug or the weight loss.
The downside to GLP-1 drugs is that all but one has to be taken by a shot. And, like any drug, there is a risk of side effects, some serious. More common side effects often improve as you continue to take the drug for a while.
Some of the more common side effects include:
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
Low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) are a more serious risk linked to the GLP-1 class of drugs. But the risk of low blood sugar levels often only goes up if you're also taking another drug known to lower blood sugar at the same time, such as sulfonylureas or insulin.

GLP-1 class of drugs isn't recommended if you have a personal or family history of medullary thyroid cancer or multiple endocrine neoplasia. Lab studies have linked these drugs with thyroid tumors in rats. But until more long-term studies are done, the risk to humans isn't known. They're also not recommended if you've had pancreatitis. The drugs already discussed are indicated in people living with type 2 diabetes. There is also a drug that has a higher dose of liraglutide (Saxenda) that's approved for the treatment of obesity in people who don't have diabetes.

Am starting this thread, as investment ramifications are widespread/ emerging.

Resmed RMD has been identified as one. Most obstructive sleep apnoea is linked to excess body weight, so drugs that reduce obesity could reduce demand for ResMed’s products.

Morgan Stanley, which estimates that 24 million people, or 7 per cent of the US population, will be taking these drugs by 2035, said this week the weight loss drug revolution could flow through to a wide variety of sectors, from pre-packaged foods and soft drinks to fast food chains and a range of health-related businesses.

There could also be potential flow-on effects for private health insurers, for example, and private hospital operators. If GLP-1 drugs really can help bring down obesity rates – and related health issues such as heart attacks, sleep apnoea and even dodgy knees – then there are also ramifications for public health spending..

The Jenny Craig weight loss business grew to 700 stores in four countries. But in June, the Australian business went into administration. No one wanted to buy it. But there was a buyer for its mailing list: a four-year-old start up called Eucalyptus that sell the weight-loss drug Ozempic.

Last edited:
and then, there is booze.

Eli Lilly’s Mounjaro and Novo Nordisk’s Ozempic and Wegovy have gained popularity as a fast way to lose weight thanks to celebrities such as Khloe Kardashian and Elon Musk. Most people who take glucagon-like peptides (GLPs) shed at least 5 per cent of their body weight and, depending on the therapy, more than half can lose as much as 20 per cent. Newer drugs promise to push those numbers even higher.

But they don’t only curb cravings for food. For some, these new weight loss drugs also seem to dampen the rewards of addictive substances, whether that’s nicotine, opiates /opioids or alcohol. Scientists have shown that rats, mice and monkeys drink less when given certain GLP1 therapies and are studying whether the same effect can be seen in humans, and, if so, understand its scope...

A survey conducted by Morgan Stanley’s AlphaWise research unit found that people consumed 62 per cent less alcohol while taking weight loss drugs. Among those consuming less, 22 per cent said they stopped drinking alcohol entirely...

Thanks @Dona Ferentes

The central GLP-1R receptor activators are associated with elevated dopamine turnover in the amygdala, and part of the anorexic effect of GLP-1is mediated by D2 receptor signaling in the amygdala.

I am told dopamine is also the major reward mechanism for addictions in most nightclubs frequented by ASX listed companies' executives and in the toilets of the NSW Parliament where the white powder is bought, lined and inhaled by our betters with the assistance of a Visa card and an earth friendly straw..

The amygdala is quite an exciting organ and I have no doubt that unfortunate as it is, the GLP-1's will be popular. I say unfortunate as obesity is the result of plenty and treating a symptom rather than a cause will usually end in tears.

On another note, the Gumnut family were reviewing and uploading old photos from the 60's, and there was not a fat person to be seen, except for "Fatty", a distant cousin, who despite his girth married in to significant Italian beauty, money and royalty.

Onward and forwards with the "Glippies", I say. PFE should be next off the block despite a few setbacks.

gg

If everyone understood the ramifications of food addiction or should I say sugar and carb addiction plus started on a low carb diet or keto diet and plus added intermittent fasting: most type two diabetes problems, overweight problems could be solved.

I believe these drugs are too risky to take. Unfortunately people want quick fixes and they don’t care if they lose muscle weight instead fat weight. Probably not in our lifetime but definitely in the future I believe that these drugs will be banned.

At the moment, drugs companies can make a profit from people’s laziness, ignorance and need for an instant “solution“. It is easier for Doctors to prescribe these toxic “meds” than say quit sugar and carbs, exercise and do intermittent fasting.

I believe many will think my thoughts are wrong and I expecting lots of criticism. Therefore I am incline to say investing in these “medicine“ companies could be profitable even though people can’t make the hard decisions to control their blood sugars (I should say insulin resistance) the natural way. As long as my health is not sacrificed for some companies’ profit, I am fine with it.

i believe these drugs are too risky to take. Unfortunately people want quick fixes and they don’t care if they lose muscle weight instead fat weight.
so do I @Faramir . The side effects will likely not be understood for a while... but it's 2023 and many expect magic bullets. They can always sue someone later on.

fed on a diet of easy fixes since childhood ..
Roger Ramjet, he's our man,
Hero of our nation.
For his adventures, just be sure
To stay tuned to this station.
When Ramjet takes a Proton Pill,
The crooks begin to worry.
They can't escape their awful fate
From Proton's mighty fury

GLP-1 agonists: Diabetes drugs and weight loss

Are there any type 2 diabetes drugs that can help people lose weight and lower their blood sugar? Are there side effects?​

There's a class of type 2 diabetes drugs that not only improves blood sugar control but may also lead to weight loss. This class of drugs is commonly called glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) agonists.

Weight loss can vary depending on which GLP-1 drug you use and your dose. Studies have found that all GLP-1 drugs can lead to weight loss of about 10.5 to 15.8 pounds (4.8 to 7.2 kilograms, or kg) when using liraglutide. Studies found people using semaglutide and making lifestyle changes lost about 33.7 pounds (15.3 kilograms) versus 5.7 pounds (2.6 kilograms) in those who didn't use the drug.

Diabetes drugs in the GLP-1 agonists class are generally taken by a shot (injection) given daily or weekly and include:
  • Dulaglutide (Trulicity) (weekly)
  • Exenatide extended release (Bydureon bcise) (weekly)
  • Exenatide (Byetta) (twice daily)
  • Semaglutide (Ozempic) (weekly)
  • Liraglutide (Victoza, Saxenda) (daily)
  • Lixisenatide (Adlyxin) (daily)
  • Semaglutide (Rybelsus) (taken by mouth once daily)
These drugs mimic the action of a hormone called glucagon-like peptide 1. When blood sugar levels start to rise after someone eats, these drugs stimulate the body to produce more insulin. The extra insulin helps lower blood sugar levels.
Lower blood sugar levels are helpful for controlling type 2 diabetes. But it's not clear how the GLP-1 drugs lead to weight loss. Doctors do know that GLP-1s appear to help curb hunger. These drugs also slow the movement of food from the stomach into the small intestine. As a result, you may feel full faster and longer, so you eat less.

Along with helping to control blood sugar and boost weight loss, GLP-1s and SGLT-2 inhibitors seem to have other major benefits. Research has found that some drugs in these groups may lower the risk of heart disease, such as heart failure, stroke and kidney disease. People taking these drugs have seen their blood pressure and cholesterol levels improve. But it's not clear whether these benefits are from the drug or the weight loss.
The downside to GLP-1 drugs is that all but one has to be taken by a shot. And, like any drug, there is a risk of side effects, some serious. More common side effects often improve as you continue to take the drug for a while.
Some of the more common side effects include:
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
Low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) are a more serious risk linked to the GLP-1 class of drugs. But the risk of low blood sugar levels often only goes up if you're also taking another drug known to lower blood sugar at the same time, such as sulfonylureas or insulin.

GLP-1 class of drugs isn't recommended if you have a personal or family history of medullary thyroid cancer or multiple endocrine neoplasia. Lab studies have linked these drugs with thyroid tumors in rats. But until more long-term studies are done, the risk to humans isn't known. They're also not recommended if you've had pancreatitis. The drugs already discussed are indicated in people living with type 2 diabetes. There is also a drug that has a higher dose of liraglutide (Saxenda) that's approved for the treatment of obesity in people who don't have diabetes.
Don't know much about humans, but the drug Ertugliflozin has been an absolute game changer in equine hyperinsulinemia.

As I understand it, it has been crossed over from human medicine FWIW

I recently finished 18 weeks on Semaglutide (Oz) 0.25 weekly dose, crazy expensive, GP prescribed to lose weight as i have a highish BMI and knee and high blood pressure issues, took me 2 months to get the prescription filled with the low supply issue.

Lucky for me I'm a weight loss super responder, about 20% of people are super responders, 40% normal 20% low responders and 20% zero responders, reasons unknown at the moment, for me (Oz) gives me intermittent nausea and zero hunger, the mental and physical desire to eat is completely gone thus weight loss is impossible to avoid.

Semaglutide is a total game changer, the weight loss industry will be transformed into the Semaglutide industry, will be cross over affects into exercise, fast food, sleep and lifestyle industry's, in 2 or 3 years when supply has caught up with demand maybe 10 - 15% of the developed world will be on Semaglutide.

Results for me - lost 13kg or 11% of my starting weight without any additional exercise or dieting - super responder, Semaglutide is just a super easy way (idiot proof) to lose weight for most people.

.Results for me - lost 13kg or 11% of my starting weight without any additional exercise or dieting - super responder, Semaglutide is just a super easy way (idiot proof) to lose weight for most people.
thanks for sharing @So_Cynical . Early days , but have you noticed any other changes, such as dietary preferences or a changed intake of alcohol? sleep patterns? exercise?

thanks for sharing @So_Cynical . Early days , but have you noticed any other changes, such as dietary preferences or a changed intake of alcohol? sleep patterns? exercise?
There is a lot of online discussion going on about semaglutide and the other similar drugs, many different experiences from the different groups of people using so yep very early days, for me i have come to realise that im one of the lucky ones that responds very very well to the drug at the low starting dose of 0.25

I did suffer from nausea as many many do at the start, it would come in waves lasting 4 or 5 minutes then be gone for 2 or 4 minutes and repeat, maybe 3 or 4 times per day for the first 4 weeks then less as the weeks passed, dehydration is a thing and has to be managed because i wasn't hungry or thirsty so its easy to get into hydration deficit as i did a few times, had to force myself to drink.

Some people have issues with alcohol and heightened effects etc - i didn't same same for me, sleep was actually better, no cravings etc.

According to this YouTube, Ozempic and Wegovy have taken Novo Nordisk (mega European Pharma) to new heights. (Not quite 12 minutes.)

So much so that Denmark’s economy is greatly and positively affected by it. Like the Nokia effect of the early 2000s.

(Probably best to watch the first few minutes of this and that should be enough.)

I watched a few decent vids about the negative effects of Ozempic (both physical and financial) and I am very much convinced that it is our modern day Bex. (Anyone remember Bex?)

I guess it’s too late to jump on the Novo Nordisk bandwagon. I hope VGS have some stake in Novo Nordisk as that’s probably the only exposure I will ever get. The big investors can say thank you to all those desperate people requiring a quick fix and willing to pay up big. I’m crying because I’m not one of those early investors. 🤣 I will probably cry more if I was heavily invested in companies like Resmed where they face headwinds from these drugs.

am very much convinced that it is our modern day Bex. (Anyone remember Bex?)
Its not Bex - Bex was 42% aspirin and 42% phenacetin plus caffeine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bex_(compound_analgesic)

Semaglutide is a real drug and if your not on a pension etc its $135 per pen, so 20 bucks a hit, its a genuine miracle drug, once supply catches up there is going to be 100 million+ people taking it, mark my words.

this was posted elsewhere today (Buy the dip @eskys ) 👍 and i think it can go here as well.

ResMed: Obesity Drugs​

ResMed (ASX: RMD) shares are around down around 30% since August amid growing concerns about how obesity drugs may disrupt the sleep apnea market.

The latest note from Jarden notes that "following our discussions with key US sleep stakeholders, there is currently no sign of the impact of GLP-1 drugs on sleep lab referrals, diagnosis rates, CPAP setups and mask replacement." But there is an expectation that "there will be an impact due to the staggering increase in awareness and demand for these drugs and the role of weight loss in reducing OSA severity."

The broker cut its share price target by 16% to $30.33 but retained an Overweight rating.

View attachment 163840

Resmed 12-month price chart (Source: Market Index)​

There's an expectation that weight loss drugs like Ozempic will pose a threat to several industries spanning from fast food restaurants to cigarette makers. Walmart's CEO John Furner said its already seeing an impact of the drugs on food demand, stating "we definitely do see a slight change compared to the total population, we do see a slight pullback in overall basket.".
will highlight the last para. So, if they can attribute a link there in food sales, how easy will it be to see the drop off in XXXXL clothing sales and other paraphernalia that has recently been developed .
and a million others

this was posted elsewhere today (Buy the dip @eskys ) 👍 and i think it can go here as well.

ResMed: Obesity Drugs​

ResMed (ASX: RMD) shares are around down around 30% since August amid growing concerns about how obesity drugs may disrupt the sleep apnea market.

The latest note from Jarden notes that "following our discussions with key US sleep stakeholders, there is currently no sign of the impact of GLP-1 drugs on sleep lab referrals, diagnosis rates, CPAP setups and mask replacement." But there is an expectation that "there will be an impact due to the staggering increase in awareness and demand for these drugs and the role of weight loss in reducing OSA severity."

The broker cut its share price target by 16% to $30.33 but retained an Overweight rating.

View attachment 163840

Resmed 12-month price chart (Source: Market Index)​

There's an expectation that weight loss drugs like Ozempic will pose a threat to several industries spanning from fast food restaurants to cigarette makers. Walmart's CEO John Furner said its already seeing an impact of the drugs on food demand, stating "we definitely do see a slight change compared to the total population, we do see a slight pullback in overall basket.".
will highlight the last para. So, if they can attribute a link there in food sales, how easy will it be to see the drop off in XXXXL clothing sales and other paraphernalia that has recently been developed .
and a million others
Knowing the way obesity works, I think many miracle drug takers will see that as an opportunity to gorge on even more sodas and fake food burgers

Knowing the way obesity works, I think many miracle drug takers will see that as an opportunity to gorge on even more sodas and fake food burgers

The way obesity works going forward is COMPLETELY different, Semaglutide for 70% of obese people will be a TOTAL game changer resulting in massive weight loss and everything that goes along with that, because the typical user will be on Semaglutide for at least 4 months this is enough time to help lock in behaviour change, many many people comment how the food noise/habits are simply gone.

For sure there will be yo-yo users that swing between using for 3 or 4 months followed by 3 or 4 months of (back to normal) but even that is a big change for them.

And a researchers' paradise, going forward
Another study recently about kidney failure, Novo Nordisk have stopped the trail early due to the overwhelming weight of evidence showing that Semaglutide massively reduces the risk of kidney failure.

Miracle Drug.

Dialysis consumable companies have been sold off substantially (20 - 30%) after this news was released.