Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Escaping Vehicles in Flood

Garpal Gumnut

Ross Island Hotel
Reactions
I noticed a warning from the QPS to avoid flooded roads during cyclones. Do any members have suggestions for getting out of modern vehicles with electronic window closure when taking on water. And please don’t advise not to get in that situation in the first place.

Warnings about escaping flooded cars​

Queensland Police Assistant Commissioner Chris Stream warned Queenslanders not to take any chances driving on flooded roads if flash flooding did occur.

He said the forensic crash unit had been investigating the behaviour of modern vehicles in floodwater and the results were clear that it was extremely unsafe.

"Those vehicles float very well in water — they lose traction and the vehicles are washed away," he said.

"A lot of modern vehicles have electric windows and other electric systems, so once the water gets in and affects it, you will not be able to put your window down.

"[Investigators] were also able to dispel the myth about removing your seat headrest and using that to break a window ... you will not be able to exit your vehicle."

gg

I noticed a warning from the QPS to avoid flooded roads during cyclones. Do any members have suggestions for getting out of modern vehicles with electronic window closure when taking on water. And please don’t advise not to get in that situation in the first place.

gg
I used four plans when I did a lot of outback travel,
First if possible walk the water crossing with a pole in front to see if there are any major sink holes and test the flow rate.
Second leave a window down on the downstream side of the flow and undo your seatbelts, if the car goes under the water pressure will stop you from opening the door and you can't be fumbling around with seatbelt buckles.
Third carry a pick hammer(like a welding hammer, or buy a torch with the hammer incorporated and leave it in the car, IMO even more important in an EV) incase you can't get out of the window that was open.
Fourth if you are in a group of vehicles, let someone else go first, river crossings are never fun IMO. ;)

I do a bit of country stuff, including river crossings and I always have a glass breaker in the console.

In an emergency you break the side window or the back, (not the windscreen)

I usually do all that SP said plus if it is too fast to walk through, don't drive through it or you wait until some local comes along and goes first.

I was doing that between Burketown and Borroloola one time and along comes a local, a tiny Datsun ute with 3 in the cab and 6 in the tray. They edged right over to one side of the causeway and crept through so I did that too.

Funniest one was at Cahills Crossing, sitting there looking at all the crocs, I am thinking I could just go across and then come back, then I could say I have been to Arnhem land.

Next thing a Landcruiser comes down the opposite bank, onto the crossing and I am thinking it is a bit deep in the middle. The drive up onto the western bank, open the doors and half a meter of water comes pouring out, they are all laughing, with wet jeans and boots.

I chickened out🐓

Thanks @sptrawler @Iggy_Pop and @macca.

I'm 100% :chicken: chicken when it comes to crossing creeks as I was caught in a flash flood a long time back on a motorcycle down near where those young police and a neighbour were murdered, Wieambilla, when a flash flood came out of nowhere and I only just managed to get through after inundation further upstream. It was a frightening experience.

I suppose that is the only situation I'd be caught in, where you start across and then within no time its up past your hips. If I was caught it would be like falling off a pier in a vehicle. I suppose. Little time to make decisions that could be life or death.

I guess in a car if I had the presence of mind, seat belt off and window down would be first. If the window wouldn't go down and the vehicle was slowing, would I smash the window with the hammer first or concentrate on clearing the creek and leave the smashing to later when the vehicle stopped. It depends on many factors.

Then whoof, the water continues to rise, it happens so quickly. wait for the water to rise up inside, they say equalising the pressure makes it easier to push a door open, or smash a window with the hammer, I'd imagine at that stage I'd be close to full panic.

As I said I'd not be crossing the creek in the first place if its obviously a danger, but you never know, that time on the motorcycle was just an ordinary day with medium to light showers where I was and creeks easily ridden through, but inundation upstream, until ...

gg

Yes finding yourself in water can happen unexpectedly.

A mate of mine was travelling at night and he hit some water running across the road, the car skidded to the side of the road and into the drain.

He ended up sitting in about a meter of water but later that night the same drain had over 2 metres of water in it so he was unlucky to skid but lucky it happened early and not 2 hours later

Thanks @sptrawler @Iggy_Pop and @macca.

I'm 100% :chicken: chicken when it comes to crossing creeks as I was caught in a flash flood a long time back on a motorcycle down near where those young police and a neighbour were murdered, Wieambilla, when a flash flood came out of nowhere and I only just managed to get through after inundation further upstream. It was a frightening experience.

I suppose that is the only situation I'd be caught in, where you start across and then within no time its up past your hips. If I was caught it would be like falling off a pier in a vehicle. I suppose. Little time to make decisions that could be life or death.

I guess in a car if I had the presence of mind, seat belt off and window down would be first. If the window wouldn't go down and the vehicle was slowing, would I smash the window with the hammer first or concentrate on clearing the creek and leave the smashing to later when the vehicle stopped. It depends on many factors.

Then whoof, the water continues to rise, it happens so quickly. wait for the water to rise up inside, they say equalising the pressure makes it easier to push a door open, or smash a window with the hammer, I'd imagine at that stage I'd be close to full panic.

As I said I'd not be crossing the creek in the first place if its obviously a danger, but you never know, that time on the motorcycle was just an ordinary day with medium to light showers where I was and creeks easily ridden through, but inundation upstream, until ...

gg
gg fortunately you survived to tell the tale. Water has immense power when in flood proportions.

Local Knowledge is important , we lived in an area where a creek was often flowing over the road.
Dead end so no option
we knew when it was too high to cross..do not rely on markers as they get pushed by water or previous cars logs..so rely on local features..in doubt, don't , be loaded not empty
Put 4wd on, open windows..often under rain, no seat belt
And get decent speed, low gear...
After the Brisbane floods, I realised the road had given in and I..and many others..were actually gliding across a 1m sink hole ..
Good memories..after...