Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Depression

Reactions
Anyone suffered it?

I have!

Come on fess up, there must be at least 1000 members on this board that have suffered it over the past year.

(5000+ members on ASF and 1 in 5 people suffer with depression)

Stop_the_clock said:
Anyone suffered it?

I have!

Come on fess up, there must be at least 1000 members on this board that have suffered it over the past year.

(5000+ members on ASF and 1 in 5 people suffer with depression)
Do you mean the occasional depression that everybody gets from time to time, or clinical depression?

But oh yeah!!!!! Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Never saw a quack about it(bad move IMO, they just fill you with drugs). Instead, got into philosophy, confronted my shadow self, had a massive soul search, got to actually know myself.

Very painful and I was lucky to put myself on the right track for me! I am actually glad I went through it. But I feel for people who are going through it, it can be very rough.

Hi
I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't remember when I last ate anything, let alone do anything else. I hadn't picked up the mail in God knows how long, [my phone had been cut because I hadn't paid the bill] I didn't care about anything. I just knew I was deep into 'mis-er-rable' and had no reasonable explanation for it.
One of my friends whisked me off to the quack.
3 mths on anti-depressants helped a bit, [I paid the phone bill] but I also went off to some councelling.......nothing like self-help if you ask me.
What scared me was the total apathy I felt, I'm lots of things but apathetic and self-absorbed is not one of them.
Anyway since that time 5 years ago I have been prone to feelin' the 'slump' but I can self talk myself up again. :cool:

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.
Martha Washington (1732 - 1802)​

Cheerful :D

nelly said:
Hi
I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't remember when I last ate anything, let alone do anything else. I hadn't picked up the mail in God knows how long, [my phone had been cut because I hadn't paid the bill] I didn't care about anything. I just knew I was deep into 'mis-er-rable' and had no reasonable explanation for it.
3 mths on anti-depressants helped a bit, [I paid the phone bill] but I also went off to some councelling.......nothing like self-help if you ask me.
What scared me was the total apathy I felt, I'm lots of things but apathetic and self-absorbed is not one of them.
Anyway since that time 5 years ago I have been prone to feelin' the 'slump' but I can self talk myself up again. :cool:

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.

Well done Nelly! One of the hardest things is taking the punt on Zoloft, or whatever, and when you do, it changes your life. All it is is a shift in chemical imbalance, and then some talk too...Great stuff!

WayneL and nelly have summed it up pretty well. I can relate to the comments. There is a big difference between feeling anxious and being in the grip of the black dog. Sadly, it is all lumped in under the term mental health so everyone seems to be depressed!

Apparently, being anxious is normal. Standing on a road and a car comes at you. You're anxious. Normal. Fight or Flight time.

It's when there is absolutely no reason for being anxious that the bugger really grabs you. It's even too hard to bother about taking your own life. Dangerous when they shine like a light bulb about to expire. Mind made up, course of action is clear.

Been close. Watchful now.

nelly said:
Hi

Hey guys, Now you are talkin' my language........I'm kinda not proud of it, but at the same time I'm no longer ashamed of it ....I,ve been on anti-D's for over 2 years......actually just weaned myself off them in the last couple of weeks (maybe its the good vibes I get around here :) Clinical depression is a common problem, nothing to be ashamed of (says my doctor). I am actually a very positive person (towards others) but internally ,struggle with self satisfaction......so if you suffer, you don't have to suffer alone (don't be afraid to talk about it)......I am pretty lucky with family support etc. and I think that is important/fortunate. Cheers, Barney

This thread will certainly be a hot little one, as much discussion takes place about the best treatments/cures/effects for clinal depression and releated disorders.

But lets also think about it from the trading perspective.

How many billions of dollars have be lost when people trade in depressed states of mind?

on the flipside...

How many billions of dollars have been won when people suffering with bi-polar take extreme risks when feeling elevated in manic episodes?

Then the medications that treat depression, any sufferer will tell you they numb your head, what effect does this have on your trading abilities?

Just one point which could help certain people.

Booze!

Apparently can be a big factor in depression and it could help to give it a miss. FWIW

There is two sides to that story....

I hear 1 beer a day is good for depression (I think it is the barley that helps)

But yes you are right booze is a central nervous system depressant.

If I drink excessive, which is rare now-days I get very depressed for a few days afterwards.

...But I still think a casual drink now and then is very good for calming the nerves and relieving depression

wayneL said:
Just one point which could help certain people.

Booze!

Apparently can be a big factor in depression and it could help to give it a miss. FWIW

Confession is good for the soul............ I know I drink too much nowdays, (did not drink at all virtually till 26 y.o........thats the year I got married :D .........my wife just clobbered me......ouch!!............... Seriously a few beers is "good therapy" for me, but you are right Wayne, too much, or more to the point; too much for the wrong reasons is detrimental.........for me, its a fine line, but I am aware of it.............Barney.

I'm interested to know that anti depressants have in fact helped some members.
I'm often concerned about the increasing number of people being put on medication when quite possibly some counselling and behaviour modification therapy could work really well. Two people I know have gone from moderately depressed to suicidal after starting on Zoloft.

Some years ago, "Depression" was usually classified into "Reactive" and "Endogenous", with a reactive depression being the 'normal' response we feel to e.g. loss, severe illness, relationship breakdown etc. In other words, in these circumstances it would be unusual NOT to feel depressed and sad.
Such sadness usually gradually improves with the passage of time.

But 'endogenous depression' (now usually termed 'clinical depression') occurs without any apparent precipitating factor and was really well described by Nelly, with an overwhelming apathy being described by many people.
It seems that this sort of depression responds usually to anti depressants.

My concern comes from the fact that so many depressed people present to GP's who don't refer them on for psychiatric or psychological assessment and simply prescribe the "one size fits all" anti-depressant medication.
I'd just like to see more of an individual assessment carried out before the wholesale medicating of every depressed person.

Julia

Julia said:
I'm often concerned about the increasing number of people being put on medication when quite possibly some counselling and behaviour modification therapy could work really well. Two people I know have gone from moderately depressed to suicidal after starting on Zoloft.

Some years ago, "Depression" was usually classified into "Reactive" and "Endogenous", with a reactive depression being the 'normal' response we feel to e.g. loss, severe illness, relationship breakdown etc. In other words, in these circumstances it would be unusual NOT to feel depressed and sad.

But 'endogenous depression' (now usually termed 'clinical depression') occurs without any apparent precipitating factor and was really well described by Nelly, with an overwhelming apathy being described by many people.

My concern comes from the fact that so many depressed people present to GP's who don't refer them on for psychiatric or psychological assessment and simply prescribe the "one size fits all" anti-depressant medication.
I'd just like to see more of an individual assessment carried out before the wholesale medicating of every depressed person.

Julia

Some people who suffer from depression have " Bipolar disease " and this is often not recognised in many parts of the world. A rating is given, where a few experts are able to recognise it, and those with a rating above 80 come into the high risk category. Some famous actors and singers etc., suffer from the disease, or some call it a complaint, and it often makes them more capable at the time of their act and then later sends them into a dark depression.

The following link will take you to the website of a very sad case in Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK, that appeared to go unrecognised. If you tend to get upset about sad cases then DON'T click-on this link: http://www.cowley.free-online.co.uk/Service.html

Julia said:
It seems that this sort of depression responds usually to anti depressants
Julia

Hey Julia, just a note...my quack did straight away want to put me on Prosaic or Zoloft but I refused. I really wanted to kick this thing in the head myself [I can be stubborn] I took a mild anti-depressant [cipramol/talehexol/celapram] and opted for a shrink, which was imo the best option for me. I do think too many people go for the 'quick fix' and that some quacks use that option for expediency sake. So my advise would be to do the research and find and stick to a quack who will spend the time getting to know you and don't be afraid to speak up when you don't understand fully what is being prescribed.

cheerful :D

barney said:
but internally ,struggle with self satisfaction......so if you suffer, you don't have to suffer alone (don't be afraid to talk about it)......I am pretty lucky with family support etc. and I think that is important/fortunate. Cheers, Barney

Hi ya Barney...
"A neurosis is a secret that you don't know you are keeping."
It's great u have a support system, I think that is the singular most important thing to have in life [but you have to utilise it] and.... give yourself a break every now and again.

Cheerful :band

Julia said:

Julia

Julia I've done Zoloft before and it gave me temperatures and nervous type shakes. I started on another that kept me up all night, then settled on a third drug that was good. I ditched them all after about 2-3months. I needed this after nearly dying. (Not in La or NY by the way :D )

Change your attitudes and approach to life and find things that challenge you - Barney you are doing it now, keep it up.

For the fools doing weed you are frying your brains big time and will damage your personality permanently!

Yep S.P. your so right, I know a few people who after bouts of heavy duty pot smokin' presented with drug induced schizophrenia of one form or the other. Now they all have that knee jerking thing happening, one digs things out of his arm or leg regularly looking for C.I.A. tracking devices. :eek:
And guess what..... they all still smoke! :22_yikes:

Cheerful

nelly said:
Yep S.P. your so right, I know a few people who after bouts of heavy duty pot smokin' presented with drug induced schizophrenia of one form or the other. Now they all have that knee jerking thing happening, one digs things out of his arm or leg regularly looking for C.I.A. tracking devices. :eek:
And guess what..... they all still smoke! :22_yikes:

Cheerful

Hi Nelly/Snake/others,

RE: One of the bands I worked with in Sydney ("The Civilians") : The roadies used to have bongs for breakfast..............now theres a good start to the day :kiffer:

I was watching a program a few weeks ago (can't remember the show) and they were talking about manic depressives.

Apparently, if offered a magic pill that would make them normal (whatever that is) most said they would not take it.

The feeling was that the manic times were so high, such a buzz, that it was worth going through the devastating lows of depression.

Just thought that was interesting.

wayneL said:
I was watching a program a view weeks ago (can't remeber the show) and they were talking about manic depressives.

Apparently, if offered a magic pill that would make them normal (whatever that is) most said they would not take it.

The feeling was that the manic times were so high, such a buzz, that it was worth going through the devastating lows of depression.

Just thought that was interesting.

Hey Wayne, Makes sense. I guess we are all like that to a point.........things always seem a lot better when we've just gotten over a "bad spell" (like after my wife beats me up! :) .......Highs and lows are normal so long as they don't get to extremes.

For me, Cipramil probably my life, seriously! Zoloft for me was a definite no-no - made me 'zombie-like' and even more apathetic.

6 months of that woke me up enough to get out of a 2 year doldrum. Was very wierd first few weeks on it, the euphoria I would go through was bizarre esp after being on such a low for so long. Once I 'stabilized' things got back to normal - It's not an overnight process, but I think it's human instinct to get yourself back to a happy state.

Now I look back on it and shake my head at it all - There were a few days when I would stare at the ceiling and not have the nerve to even get out of bed. Anxiety / panic attacks couple times a day, etc. Putting up a brave face, being the happy socialite, etc but getting home and falling to bits.

You'd be suprised at how many people you know may have had depression one time or another. Some ppl you come across might not understand and think you're so 'weak' but unless they've been there, it's not something they could ever relate to.