Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Cashless society

Last few times I went to pay with my debit card at restaurant or butcher they had a surcharge even on eftpos... so I have been going to the atm to get cash and pay in cash.
What do I see when I go atm? usually I am not the first or last in que... strange thought cash and atms were dead according to the media
gg as I have previously said MrC Ash is king and long live this king

Last few times I went to pay with my debit card at restaurant or butcher they had a surcharge even on eftpos... so I have been going to the atm to get cash and pay in cash.
What do I see when I go atm? usually I am not the first or last in que... strange thought cash and atms were dead according to the media

I was in a medium sized country town yesterday, stopped for lunch, walking past the bank I noticed a well-maintained ATM machine and people withdrawing cash.

I was in a medium sized country town yesterday, stopped for lunch, walking past the bank I noticed a well-maintained ATM machine and people withdrawing cash.
JohnDe and no doubt the businesses love the cash also.
We had lunch in Toodyay 2 weeks ago and was asked cash or card. A bit cheaper if folding was handed over. A no brainer

Last edited:
Friends of mine are traveling through Europe, currently in Italy and said that his lunch cost him 7 euros, and the beer 2 euros.

It isn’t cash or card that makes things expensive, it’s taxes and regulations upon regulations.

IMG_1082.jpeg

“Not just a random food photo . On the way back to the train station after visiting Herculaneum stopped for lunch . This place had no menu , some old tables out the front , so I asked what was lunch .. he said spaghetti vongole .. luckily a favourite of mine ..,it was delicious and reminded me of the pasta I had growing up at home with freshly caught goolwa cockles . Total cost 7 euros plus 2 euros for the peroni .”

am looking at MrCash's cousin MrBarter for alternatives could be useful in the area i now reside ( population around 300 with many only home on weekends and holidays ) ...26 km to my local bank
Yeah.

But in a functional village, we need a unit of account as barterers may not require each other's offering.

Joe my not need a horse shod even though I may want to acquire a dozen of his duck eggs.

Cash solves this, if we trust the untrustworthy. In reality, we may need to develop some other peer to peer unit of account.

Yeah.

But in a functional village, we need a unit of account as barterers may not require each other's offering.

Joe my not need a horse shod even though I may want to acquire a dozen of his duck eggs.

Cash solves this, if we trust the untrustworthy. In reality, we may need to develop some other peer to peer unit of account.
but the government desire is to go cashless , ( because commodity prices make coins worth more than their face value ( 1 , 2 5 , 10 and 20 cent pieces )

also many villagers are semi-self sufficient , several have chickens some have ducks , geese there are even domesticated pheasants , not to mention sheep , goats , and cattle and this property used to raise ostriches ( cattle now ) timber for building and heating etc. , and some solar panels ( off-grid and on-grid ) and fruit trees and herbs

but the government desire is to go cashless , ( because commodity prices make coins worth more than their face value ( 1 , 2 5 , 10 and 20 cent pieces )

also many villagers are semi-self sufficient , several have chickens some have ducks , geese there are even domesticated pheasants , not to mention sheep , goats , and cattle and this property used to raise ostriches ( cattle now ) timber for building and heating etc. , and some solar panels ( off-grid and on-grid ) and fruit trees and herbs
And there may be a bit of a key in what you say, becoming somewhat self- sufficient.

Maybe not a path to acquiring status toys, but survival in the anti human WEF world... Perhaps even true contentment.

Bohemians rule, okay?

am looking at MrCash's cousin MrBarter for alternatives could be useful in the area i now reside ( population around 300 with many only home on weekends and holidays ) ...26 km to my local bank
Did some work for a bloke a few years ago who only used Barter Card.
I had never heard of it before so was pretty wary.
Told him I only understood MrC Ash

Went to a country agricultural show today, got there early and stayed most of the day. Excellent fun, enjoyed being part of the opening of a restored building converted to a bar.

One thing I noticed and enjoyed seeing, cash was the king.

Almost everyone was paying with cash, cards was most definetly the minority. And some stalls had 'Cash Only', others said that the EFTPOS was not working. But no one seemed to car, because they all seemed to prefer cash. Felt good to be part of the crowd that thinks like me hahaha.

fullsizeoutput_17490.jpeg

Did some work for a bloke a few years ago who only used Barter Card.
I had never heard of it before so was pretty wary.
Told him I only understood MrC Ash
my parents grew up during the great depression so 'barter ' included work for food ( and sometimes accommodation ) i still have grandmother's ration books , so one might wonder if food was traded as well ( and of course Australia had a thriving black market during WW2 )