Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Bring Home Assange

I'll be interested to see how long he lasts in the embassy. I doubt the UK will ever allow him to leave.

It's a long shot, but if he can get elected as a "Wikileaks Party" member here in Australia, he should be provided with political immunity on that basis, no?

It's a long shot, but if he can get elected as a "Wikileaks Party" member here in Australia, he should be provided with political immunity on that basis, no?

I don't think so. It might be extended as a courtesy by the UK, but then what about Sweden, which has a legitimate arrest warrant forAssange.

I don't think so. It might be extended as a courtesy by the UK, but then what about Sweden, which has a legitimate arrest warrant forAssange.

Probably right I guess, he has said this previously

"We know that the UK police were instructed (in the Sweden case) to break international law and arrest me even if I was in a diplomatic vehicle and had diplomatic immunity."

At the very least, taking into consideration all of your concerns and issues raised, I would still like to see something from Rudd on this. Send consular officials to the Ecuador embassy. Make a statement rebuking any idiocy stated by Julia Gillard around Assange being a criminal under Australian law and having his passport revoked. Register a complaint with the US against their pursuit of him, which they have not done so far despite the US presenting them many opportunites to do so. Anything.
Sinner, perhaps you're overlooking the possible reality that Rudd entirely agrees with Julia Gillard's stand on this?

Assange has knowingly acted against the interests of multiple governments, so it's a bit hard to see why they should be sympathetic toward him.

Probably right I guess, he has said this previously

Well, he doesn't have diplomatic immunity. As for the vehicle, the same protocol that says Britain cannot search a diplomatic car also says that that right should not be abused by Ecuador to transport people who are wanted by authorities in the host country.

Diplomatic immunity is a two way street and that privlege is being abused, imo.

Sinner, perhaps you're overlooking the possible reality that Rudd entirely agrees with Julia Gillard's stand on this?

Assange has knowingly acted against the interests of multiple governments, so it's a bit hard to see why they should be sympathetic toward him.

Julia, I'm not overlooking it, it's pure hope that Rudd can implement some changes. If I had to guess on probabilities, I'd say 90% chance of status quo, 10% chance of change. Much better than the 0% chance I had assigned for Gillard.

They should be sympathetic because the Obamas and Rudds of the world are in power through the promises they made to my generation for change, a new way of doing things, essentially the opposite of the Bush/Howard/Blairs of the world. You say Assange has knowingly acted against the interests of multiple governments, to me it's pretty clear that the interests of those governments are not aligned with the interests of the people they are supposed to represent.

So far all we've got for our vote is continuation of the status quo and in many cases some bad slips down the slippery slope. If Rudd wants to prove to us that he is just another lackey beholden to a myriad of short sighted military/industrial interests, like Obama has and Gillard did, at this point it would not surprise many of us, but we can (still, for a little while) hope.

down the slippery slope. ........... but we can (still, for a little while) hope.

It's not the personalities but the ideas... Assange, Manning, Snowden, Dom****eberg, Ellsberg. No doubt 'the law' has a view of them. Any of them could be could be 'broken on the wheel' if a death of one of their country men cold be attributed to any one of them. But it is their intent to expose the duplicity of the over lords, that do 'that' and more...
All the better that we all can rummage freely through our dirty laundry. Oh but, How uncomfortable that our wives find the lipstick of our lover's on our collars.

It's not for no reason last week '1984' went from 2800 odd, to 120 or so on Amazons most popular. The consequences of the control of meta data today, is the control of the past, and he who controls the past controls the future.

About time they either charged this bloke or let him go.

Justice delayed is justice denied.

If the US can't drum up enough evidence by now then they are obviously just hounding him for revenge.

Good on Wilkie and Christensen for standing up for him.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/wikileaks-founder-charged-superseding-indictment

He's in deep(er) **** now.
The new indictment does not add additional counts to the prior 18-count superseding indictment returned against Assange in May 2019. It does, however, broaden the scope of the conspiracy surrounding alleged computer intrusions with which Assange was previously charged. According to the charging document, Assange and others at WikiLeaks recruited and agreed with hackers to commit computer intrusions to benefit WikiLeaks.
If they can prove he was an active, and not a passive participant, he'll never get out.
Maybe giving the source of the DNC email hack is the only card he's got left.

He is finished if he does give the source in a professional sense. Surely he wouldn't sell out.
Dunno? Does seem like a pressure play from the DOJ.
He's as stubborn as a mule but if you're looking at life in a Fed prison for the rest of your life, with 2 kids now :bored: any deal on the table has got to be worth looking at.