Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

Common sense seems to be evolving in the media as they take a serious look at McCain's humor of late.
Perhaps Obama's dignity will prevail over the joker?

Obama's crime? Acting too presidential

We have reporters, columnists and TV talking heads to thank for exposing these outrageous displays.
So apparently the verdict is in: Sen. Barack Obama, too confident to govern.

It all would be quite funny if many people didn't seem to be inhaling this multimedia stink bomb as if it were fragrant truth.

Recall the pundits demanding the freshman Illinois senator prove he could be presidential in the foreign arena?

So he appeared at ease with world leaders, talked animatedly with beaming American troops and drew huge civilian crowds.

Obama canceled a visit to the Landstuhl hospital and was accused of being self-centered.
What if he had appeared at the hospital?

David Kiley reported in BusinessWeek magazine how a Republican operative described plans to attack Obama for -- that's right -- using wounded troops as campaign props, if he had gone through with the visit.

These red herrings, a veritable school of 'em, are amusing for those who put them in perspective.
But how many take the time to do that?

"There's an interesting line building on Obama that somehow success and intelligence are a handicap," said Mark Sawyer, a UCLA political scientist.

"If he wasn't extraordinary, he wouldn't be there.
But then he is extraordinary and it becomes, 'He is just too good, too well spoken, too accomplished.' "

So here are a few lessons for would-be commanders in chief:

* Inspire attention, but not too much.
* Act presidential, but not like you already have the job.
* Be confident, but in an obsequious kind of way.

It's really not that complicated.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-onthemedia4-2008aug04,0,2648035.story

Obama leads McCain among low-wage workers: poll

Mon Aug 4, 2008 1:59am EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Obama holds a two-to-one lead over McCain among low-wage workers according to a new poll by The Washington Post, the Kaiser Family Foundation and Harvard University.

Obama's advantage is due largely to overwhelming support from African Americans and Hispanics, but even among white voters, he leads McCain 47 percent to 37 percent.

The group, which accounts for nearly a quarter of U.S. adults, views Obama as the more empathetic candidate and the one who most closely shares their values, it said.

The poll found that one in six white workers polled remains uncommitted to either candidate, the Post reported.

Looks like Bara(r)ck doesn't need Hillary as VEEP to attract low-income earners.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN0339387820080804

How boring. Not humorous like McCain's ads. An ad on policy! Shame Obama. Shame! :rolleyes:

Obama ad to target McCain's energy policies

"After one president in the pocket of big oil we can't afford another," says the ad.

"A windfall profits tax on big oil to give families a thousand-dollar rebate," an announcer in the ad says.

Obama has pushed for such a tax to fund $1,000 emergency rebate checks for consumers besieged by high energy costs.

The new Obama ad opens with a driver pumping gas.
The announcer says, "Every time you fill your tank, the oil companies fill their pockets."

Last year, Congress approved $18 billion in new taxes on the largest oil companies, but they were blocked by Republicans in the Senate.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/08/04/eco.obama.oil.ap/

http://www.easyodds.com/compareodds/specials/Politics/m/51363-234-3.html
President:-
Obama 4/11 = $1.36 (in from $1.40 - which was in from $1.50)
McCain 5/2 = $3.50 (out from $3.00 - which was out from $2.65)

You'd have to assume that will get much closer before November.
But having said that only a rich man could afford to bet against Obama surely. :2twocents
Barack's most likely running mate keeps changing lol.
Evan Bayh now favourite.
back to
Obama $1.40 ( in fact $1.521
McCain $3.25

PS Why would that website (comparing odds) embolden 2:5 = $1.40 as best odds for Obama;
when you can get $1.51? :confused:

Bayr favoured as Dem VP. - But Biden tightening (makes sense :2twocents)

Attachments

• Pres 20080804.jpg
    Pres 20080804.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 175
  • VP odds 20080804.jpg
    VP odds 20080804.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 229

2020... Better place your bet ASAP! :D

Obama Will Name Bayh his VP Choice on Wednesday

Bil Browning from The Huffington Post has made this prediction because:

1. The Olympics start Friday US time and run until the DNC so Obama will have
- - two days before having to compete against the Olympics for press coverage.

2. Obama will be in Indiana Tuesday afternoon for a campaign stop with Evan Bayh.
- - The press has been told to plan on staying until Wednesday afternoon/evening.

3. Staying around Indiana allows Obama and Bayh to travel to Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio
- - all important states in this election... Bayh's reputation will help the most in those states.

4. The website www.ObamaBayh08.com is taken... you'll be forwarded to the Democratic Party website.

I just got an invite from the Obama campaign to attend an appearance on Wednesday that isn't on Obama's official calendar. Why not? The campaign said, "I can't tell you what the event is about, but we want to make sure you have a ticket so you can cover it for the Bilerico Project. We want Bilerico Project to be there for this one."

Bil Browning asks:
So what do you think? Is my thinking flawed or have I reached the logical conclusion?... Evan Bayh -- foreign policy experience, former Clinton supporter, popularity in the Midwest, not a media wh***, experience as a popular former Governor and his youth and good looks -- it seems like a slam dunk to me.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bil-browning/obama-will-name-bayh-his_b_116752.html

Update: Brian Howey has a solid commentary on the Howey Political Report that I wanted to point out. Brian waffles between an announcement this week or the week leading up to the convention. Two other journalists have chimed in to say they've been told to expect the announcement in that last week as well. Am I off on my timing and this is just another test balloon?

http://www.bilerico.com/2008/08/obama_will_name_bayh_his_vp_choice_on_we.php

@ 9/4 McCain looks to be the bet of the freakin' millennium!

I'll be putting a fiver on that for fun.

Hmmm... In the order of 2020's odds post:

www.OBAMABAYH08.COM = Taken (forwards to the Democratic Party website.)

www.OBAMABIDEN08.COM - - (forwards to http://www.politics2008.com/)

www.OBAMASEBELIUS08.COM = Taken - - ("This page is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com.")

www.OBAMACLINTON08.COM = Taken ("under construction")

www.OBAMADODD08.COM - - ("This page is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com")

www.OBAMARICHARDSON08.COM - - ("This page is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com.")

www.OBAMAGORE08.COM - - ("This is a future home page")

www.OBAMAKAINE08.COM = Taken - - (empty)

You have to laugh:

McCain supporters handed out free tire pressure gauges to the Obama crowd at the Lansing Center, mocking Obama's comments that Americans can reduce gas consumption by keeping their car tires properly inflated. :rolleyes::)

Michigan should have loved this today:

Obama called for $4 billion in guaranteed loans and tax credits to help U.S. automakers retool for more fuel-efficient cars and to develop batteries for plug-in hybrids that get up to 150 m.p.g.
The new breed of automobiles would fetch a $7,000 federal tax credit for buyers.

He predicted that 1 million plug-in hybrids -- such as the Chevrolet Volt set to debut in 2010 -- would be produced within six years.

Obama said the auto industry would benefit from his $150-billion, 10-year plan to develop alternative energy sources, including fuel cells to power vehicles.

"I know how much the auto industry and the autoworkers of this state have struggled over the last decade or so," Obama told about 1,000 supporters at the Lansing Center who sang him "Happy Birthday" on his 47th.

"But I also know where I want the fuel-efficient cars of tomorrow to be built -- not in Japan, not in China, but right here in the United States of America. Right here in the state of Michigan."

Obama also called again for an immediate $1,000 "energy rebate" to U.S. families, paid for with higher taxes on oil company profits.

Obama promised to convert 10% of U.S. energy use to renewable sources by the end of his first term as president, and cited Michigan State University's research into wind power and solar cells.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080805/NEWS06/808050359/1014/BUSINESS01

Obama also called again for an immediate $1,000 "energy rebate" to U.S. families, paid for with higher taxes on oil company profits.

Beggorrah!

Never mind grassy knolls, Barack will need one of these:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 212

Paris Hilton responds to McCain ad with her own:

Note the logistics of her 'energy plan'... :confused: :D
... she'll paint the white house pink. :)
Lovitt!

In less than two minutes, she accomplished not one --
but FIVE things McCain himself has been unable to do in two years of campaigning:

1) Come off as intelligent and self-effacing.

2) Present a well-reasoned energy policy.

3) Generate excitement on the internet.

4) Win over a new block of supporters.

5) Say the word "Hilton" without the preface "Hanoi."

Can't wait to hear "that wrinkly white haired guy's" response to her response! :D
Paris has done well!

Article & video clip:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-grahamesmith/hilt-owned_b_117162.html

Her site for video clip:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/64ad536a6d

[

Can't wait to hear "that wrinkly white haired guy's" response to her response!

Doris, I would have thought - given your obsessive adoration for Mr Obama and your unfailing belief in him and his policies - you really wouldn't need to get into snide remarks about McCain's personal appearance. I guess if you'd put in the years he has and spent time as a POW, you'd have a few wrinkles also.

Doris, I would have thought - given your obsessive adoration for Mr Obama and your unfailing belief in him and his policies - you really wouldn't need to get into snide remarks about McCain's personal appearance. I guess if you'd put in the years he has and spent time as a POW, you'd have a few wrinkles also.

Whoa Julia...

Note my quotation marks on those words!

Watch Paris' video clip... Her effort to get back at him after accusing her of being a celebrity with no credentials.

My apologies, Doris. Didn't take in the quotation marks. Glad to know you haven't descended to that level.