Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ASF spelling and grammar lessons

Excellent question Speewha and thanks for the link GP.

I heard something on The Simpsons a few nights ago (maybe we can start a thread about taking spelling and grammar lessons from The Simpsons...).

I before e except where the sound made sounds like an "A" (eg. neighbour). Any comments on this from those with better spelling and grammar than me (pretty much anyone who doesn't rely on The Simpsons I suppose - but, hey, at least I didn't type The Simpson's, OK))? I hadn't heard this rule before.

However we have flammable – inflammable with as we know mean the same thing.

Speewha, here's a definition which makes the difference clear.

Both words mean that the object being discussed can catch on fire; the difference is in the connotations and context for which the words are used. Flammable objects are ones that are put to flame on purpose. Inflammable objects that should usually not be on fire. Adding the prefix makes it appropriate for use on warning labels. While some objects may be made for burning, such as charcoal, they may still be called inflammable if they are being sold to consumers that need to take extra caution.

You're quite right to suggest that it's confusing.

And I hope someone eventually did something nasty to your teacher who clearly lacked some pretty basic skills.

Speerwha ;), (yep inflammable or flammable definitely mean the same thing - weird)
likewise ..
If asymmetric means not symmetric
and amoral = not (about) moral (see below)

Then does awakening = not wakening, hence = asleep?
and asleep = not sleep? , hence = awake :confused:

amoral = not involving questions of right or wrong; without moral quality; neither moral nor immoral

Likewise does
aside = not side, hence in front?
afar = not far , hence close?
ashore = not shore, hence = at sea?
aloud = not loud , hence = quiet?

set the bells aringing = stop those bludy bells! ?

And I hope someone eventually did something nasty to your teacher who clearly lacked some pretty basic skills.

Hello,
Thanks everybody,

Julia nothing nasty happened to the teacher, such punishments were standard issue from the Education Department’s arsenal of tortures for use on naughty boys in those days. Designed not only to inflict pain but humiliate the victim as well. It was no use going home to complain as the teacher was always right, you just ended up with a thick ear.
Thankfully things have changed.

I managed to grow up not adversely affected.

I see the standing on one leg routine was adopted by the US in Abu Ghriab I wonder if they got hold of a 1960’s Victorian Education department teachers guide.

Regards

I heard something on The Simpsons a few nights ago (maybe we can start a thread about taking spelling and grammar lessons from The Simpsons...).

I before e except where the sound made sounds like an "A" (eg. neighbour). Any comments on this from those with better spelling and grammar than me (pretty much anyone who doesn't rely on The Simpsons I suppose - but, hey, at least I didn't type The Simpson's, OK))? I hadn't heard this rule before.

I don't think that "rule" works too well. Think of "receipt", no "a" sound, unless it's pronounced differently in the US.

In the olden days before computers and before spelling and grammar became irrevelant, if you didn't know the meaning of a word you were told to "look up your dictionary". Notice I said "your dictionary" because everybody had one. Along with pronunciation these things had an impact on your social status, ie whether you were employable or a knuckle-dragger. I had a teacher who said you could tell whether a person was gutter-bred by the way they pronounced the word "film". These days my pet hate is the pronunciation of words like "nothing" as "nothink". However I suppose it is an improvement on the Cockney version "nuffink'.

In the olden days before computers and before spelling and grammar became irrevelant, if you didn't know the meaning of a word you were told to "look up your dictionary". Notice I said "your dictionary" because everybody had one. Along with pronunciation these things had an impact on your social status, ie whether you were employable or a knuckle-dragger. I had a teacher who said you could tell whether a person was gutter-bred by the way they pronounced the word "film". These days my pet hate is the pronunciation of words like "nothing" as "nothink". However I suppose it is an improvement on the Cockney version "nuffink'.
I so agree, Calliope, about the addition of the 'k'!
Our erstwhile Premier here in Qld did this! "Anythink", "Nothink", were standard for him. Drove me nuts.
Another common mispronunciation is "deteriate" for "deteriorate" - they omit a whole syllable.
Grrr!

What about the Ahlympics ...

And the opening and closing Sarah Moanies ...

Timmy. You would have thought that it would have been easy for Channel 7 to get its commentators together before the Games and teach them how to say Olympics. But no, the bosses either didn't know or didn't care. And I have now fallen out of love with Stepanie Rice after last night when she used the awful Sarah Moanie. I could have tolerated bad language from her lips but not that.

I so agree, Calliope, about the addition of the 'k'!
Our erstwhile Premier here in Qld did this! "Anythink", "Nothink", were standard for him. Drove me nuts.
Another common mispronunciation is "deteriate" for "deteriorate" - they omit a whole syllable.
Grrr!

The funny thing about PB though was that he really wanted to be a writer when he was a boy. Hence his sponsorship of some of the best paid literary awards in Australia. He and Matt Foley were actually genuinely committed to writing :)

Penultimate to mean "really ultimate" is my personal giggle. That and people who insist on saying/writing "as per". And I notice even the announcers on radio national (of all places) are more and more often pronouncing "junta" with the terribly anglicised jun (j as in 'jet' un as in 'unwell') rather than the older, more delicate, and to my mind correct Spanish 'hoohn'.

Interesting about PB wanting to be a writer. He didn't lack narrative skills, i.e. he could find a spin for anything. I just find it astonishing that one of his staff didn't take him aside and say" Listen Pete, old mate, better drop the K".

Similar to G.W. Bush (who will soon be gone, hallelujah) who has never mastered saying 'nuclear'.
Gee whiz, it's just not that hard. Why didn't someone just make him practise it until he stopped making a fool of himself on the world stage?

Interesting about PB wanting to be a writer. He didn't lack narrative skills, i.e. he could find a spin for anything. I just find it astonishing that one of his staff didn't take him aside and say" Listen Pete, old mate, better drop the K".

Similar to G.W. Bush (who will soon be gone, hallelujah) who has never mastered saying 'nuclear'.
Gee whiz, it's just not that hard. Why didn't someone just make him practise it until he stopped making a fool of himself on the world stage?

PB was raised by his grandmother. I'm sure she wouldn't have tolerated the "k". Mine would have given me a rap over the knuckles. And PB's wife has a Doctorate. That must count for something. Why didn't she tell him?

Speerwha ;), (yep inflammable or flammable definitely mean the same thing - weird)
likewise ..
If asymmetric means not symmetric
and amoral = not (about) moral (see below)

Then does awakening = not wakening, hence = asleep?
and asleep = not sleep? , hence = awake :confused:

Likewise does
aside = not side, hence in front?
afar = not far , hence close?
ashore = not shore, hence = at sea?
aloud = not loud , hence = quiet?

set the bells aringing = stop those bludy bells! ?

There is a distinct difference between words such as amoral/asymmetrical and words such as awakening/ashore. In words such as amoral/asymmetrical there are separate morphemes. (A morpheme being the smallest unit of meaning in language.) The first morpheme 'a' signals the meaning 'not'. The other(s) hold other meaning- eg 'moral'.

In words like aside/afar the 'a' may also hold meaning but it doesn't mean 'not'. It's a separate unit - look at homonyms(e.g. the pool "cue" and "cue" to speak).

Incidentally meanings of cue:
1(n.) Humor; temper of mind.
2(n.) The tail; the end of a thing; especially, a tail-like twist of hair worn at the back of the head; a queue.
3(n.) A hint or intimation.
4(n.) The part one has to perform in, or as in, a play.
5(v. t.) To form into a cue; to braid; to twist.
6(n.) A straight tapering rod used to impel the balls in playing billiards.
7(n.) A small portion of bread or beer; the quantity bought with a farthing or half farthing.
8(n.) The last words of a play actor's speech, serving as an intimation for the next succeeding player to speak; any word or words which serve to remind a player to speak or to do something; a catchword.

The make up of words is pretty complex and doesn't necessarily follow any set pattern.

As long as the spelling is correct, and the word is used in the right context, that's probably the best we can hope for. The origin of spelling is interesting (to some), and if you are interested, do some linguistic papers at Uni.
Cheers

Our great leader Kevin Rudd did not let us down. In his welcome home to our Olympic athletes this morning he managed to intersperse his usual bunch of cliches with several "ahlympics" and one "sarah moanie."

well
for all the talk of this or that annoying people, I really like "the trend!!"

like in the old days you had to address a letter

Mr. S. Tan
200 Broadway Av.
WEST BEACH, S.A., 5024

I'm not sure if this mistake was picked up, but it is incorrect to put a period after 'Mr'. A period is not used to signify an abbreviation if that abbreviation uses the last letter of the whole word.

Wow! I must be bored.