Which house do you prefer?

Which House do you prefer?

• Cheaper Metricon House

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • More expensive Timeless Customized House

Votes: 26 70.3%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hello fellow ASF members. I'd like to conduct a poll as part of research a research project. I must state that I will use the results from the poll as data for analysis and perhaps consider quoting some ASF members. As part of Ethical Considerations I must stress that this report will not be published so nobody will be made accountable for negative and or damaging remarks.

Do the general public prefer a 'Cheap Mass Produced Metricon flavor of the month House' ($300,000 including land) or are people prepared to spend a bit more on a 'Custom Built Timeless House' ($375,000)?

I must STRESS both Houses are both 200 Square Meters in size with equal number of rooms and car spaces.

Please Give feed back as to why you made that choice. cheers :D

Keep the budget in mind?

both of these designs look generic and mass produced - you see millions of these houses next to each other on new subdivisions in western sydney

the one on the right is more aesthetically pleasing, if I only had these two to choose from

both of these designs look generic and mass produced - you see millions of these houses next to each other on new subdivisions in western sydney

the one on the right is more aesthetically pleasing, if I only had these two to choose from

You're right they are quite generic... However that is really due to the price bracket...

What's the research project Insider?

I voted, but there's no way I'd ever choose a house solely on price plus how the front looks from the outside. Or on the peculiar names that developers give them.

My vote is for the Metricon house, purely because I prefer a horizontal feel to a vertical one. I note that both have miserably inadequate eaves and that the "timeless" (eh???) would be unbearably hot if it faced anywhere except due south, in which case it would be unbearably cold, unless it was in the tropics, in which case it would be unbearable period.

Maybe you could research these houses: http://www.ralhomes.com.au

Cheers

Ghoti

I voted for the Metricon house on the ouside view but I'd never buy a house on the basis of what it looked like from the outside.

Only reason is the Metricon house has wider eaves. Ghoti has pointed out reason for the importance of this.

I may have ruined the poll by putting in the pictures... I might have to re do the poll

I voted, but there's no way I'd ever choose a house solely on price plus how the front looks from the outside. Or on the peculiar names that developers give them.

My vote is for the Metricon house, purely because I prefer a horizontal feel to a vertical one. I note that both have miserably inadequate eaves and that the "timeless" (eh???) would be unbearably hot if it faced anywhere except due south, in which case it would be unbearably cold, unless it was in the tropics, in which case it would be unbearable period.

Cheers

Ghoti

Again I should probably remove the pictures... People are focusing too much on it...

The research project I'm doing is 'How do you add value to houses through design?'

Hello fellow ASF members.

Please Give feed back as to why you made that choice. cheers :D

Keep the budget in mind?

Hello Insider

I have just bought a basic Australian house from the 60s and lived in a large house with high ceilings before. Both have/had eaves.

My choice here is the Metricon house; it looks like it is more energy-efficient because of the large roof space, which acts as insulation. The 'timeless' house has more glass and higher ceilings; it will need more air-conditioning and heating. The lack of eaves on the cheaper house is easily overcome by attaching some pergolas where needed and growing a creeper over it that loses it's leaves in winter. In fact one can dress this house up easily; and with the right use of colours can make it look very modern, whereas the 'timeless' house will actually date very quickly.

I must say, though, that I do miss the high ceilings in my present house, but I'm working on views from the windows to replace that.

Cheers

Taurisk

Cheers

Ghoti

Hi Ghoti

I had a look at 'ralhomes' - great idea and great interior spaces, but I am not at all sure about the cladding for the roof - metal roofing is fairly hot stuff, but then it cools down quickly as well - good insulation needed. From the outside there is also the Nissen hut look - they are also not really cheap -
but thanks for posting that link - I have a friend who might be interested.

Taurisk

Hello Insider

I have just bought a basic Australian house from the 60s and lived in a large house with high ceilings before. Both have/had eaves.

My choice here is the Metricon house; it looks like it is more energy-efficient because of the large roof space, which acts as insulation. The 'timeless' house has more glass and higher ceilings; it will need more air-conditioning and heating. The lack of eaves on the cheaper house is easily overcome by attaching some pergolas where needed and growing a creeper over it that loses it's leaves in winter. In fact one can dress this house up easily; and with the right use of colours can make it look very modern, whereas the 'timeless' house will actually date very quickly.

I must say, though, that I do miss the high ceilings in my present house, but I'm working on views from the windows to replace that.

Cheers

Taurisk

Thanks for the input... Well all new houses must acquire a 5 star energy rating so even though one house may have more windows they might be double glazed which is much better than most conventional windows....

I need someone to remove the pictures because a lot of people are voting based on their favorite style house and not on 'service and quality' vs 'Budget'.

Hi Ghoti

I had a look at 'ralhomes' - great idea and great interior spaces, but I am not at all sure about the cladding for the roof - metal roofing is fairly hot stuff, but then it cools down quickly as well - good insulation needed. From the outside there is also the Nissen hut look - they are also not really cheap -
but thanks for posting that link - I have a friend who might be interested.

Taurisk

This is a RAL that i Built in Victoria with the help of a RAL builder. A great home, fantastic living experience. Its for SALE too i hear.

Cheers,

Attachments

• Front1.JPG
    Front1.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 453
I couldn't find the option to vote on the Queensland style house, my favorite by far has a little more character than concrete render.

I believe a way of adding value to the house is through the uniqueness of a home, not a package home as the quality is usually not as high as it should be either.

I actually don't like any of the newer bv houses, they all seem rather slapped together and barely made to last. I had a house built in 1997 and sold it 7 years later and it was already starting to deteriorate badly.

Does anyone do double-brick these days? I know there are companies that will do concrete slab designs (they pour the walls flat like a slab, then get a crane & stand them up) but they're probably rather expensive.

m.

I actually don't like any of the newer bv houses, they all seem rather slapped together and barely made to last. I had a house built in 1997 and sold it 7 years later and it was already starting to deteriorate badly.

Does anyone do double-brick these days? I know there are companies that will do concrete slab designs (they pour the walls flat like a slab, then get a crane & stand them up) but they're probably rather expensive.

m.

A double skin brick wall is pretty expensive... and usually crack easier than brick veneer (timber stud walls)... Concrete tilt up panels is what your talking about... You'll have investigate it because they're usually used in high rises and sometimes cranes can't maneuverer the panels due to site location ... you can get 20mm brick faces put into a concrete tilt up panel so it looks like a brick wall... Concrete tilt up panels are better for commercial sites for the simple fact that they can be manufactured off site and be brought in later.

As a developer and a Property investor,you will be better served with option 2

Building my own ponderosa myself now that Ive defeated council after 2.5 yrs of battle.

As a developer and a Property investor,you will be better served with option 2

Building my own ponderosa myself now that Ive defeated council after 2.5 yrs of battle.

Proof God exists, because nobody beats the council!:D

I'd be going for whichever is the better designed and built house since the price difference isn't huge in overall terms.

I'd be specifically looking at things that are hard to change. Rendering over bricks, installing more efficient heating, planting trees and so on are things that can always be changed later. But you can't so easily change the basic structure of the house, which way it faces etc.

I'm not too keen on house energy ratings by the way. Better than nothing but I've seen examples of "green" houses with some incredibly inefficient technology built-in to the house undoing most of the benefits of an otherwise good design. The focus largely on design only fails to pick this up. :2twocents

Proof God exists, because nobody beats the council!:D

I employed the DUCATI principal.
debate debate debate.
reference anything that is remotely applicable,
employ experts,better than they have.
When they role up to court with their solicitor
role up with 2 of yours.
Always be accomodating even to the sickening extreme.(Learnt that ploy from a few here---thanks! You know who you are!).
Never give up even if all seems lost.---Thanks Kris.

So ASF has been a great help!