Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Stock Exchange of Thailand

UMike

Klutzing in Thai
Reactions
ASEAN's 3rd Largest by Market Cap
There are almost 650 listed companies the main exchange.
Apart from common stocks, investors can trade other types of securities including warrant, derivative warrant (DW), depositary receipt (DR), exchange-traded fund (ETF), property fund (PF)/ real estate investment trust (REIT) and infrastructure fund. The exchange also runs a separate market for derivatives.
SETset.png

The Local currency has appreciated as much as the currency. Propped up by Government hand outs.
SETbat.png

I am moving over and being paid in Local currency, so I am interested in seeing if there is any value to be gained by investing in this market.

Must admit it looked better, to me at least, early August when we were first considering the move.

Anyone with experience in these matters?

I am moving over and being paid in Local currency, so I am interested in seeing if there is any value to be gained by investing in this market.

Must admit it looked better, to me at least, early August when we were first considering the move.

Never realised that their exchange was so large. Had no real reasons before to bother to have a look.

ASEAN's 3rd Largest by Market Cap
There are almost 650 listed companies the main exchange.
Apart from common stocks, investors can trade other types of securities including warrant, derivative warrant (DW), depositary receipt (DR), exchange-traded fund (ETF), property fund (PF)/ real estate investment trust (REIT) and infrastructure fund. The exchange also runs a separate market for derivatives.
View attachment 184895
The Local currency has appreciated as much as the currency. Propped up by Government hand outs.
View attachment 184896
you might be astounded to see how many economies propped up by government handouts ( for example most of the EU )

changes in government will be the main risk ( from military to elected and vice-versa ) however Thailand should benefit from warmer relations with China and one might be watching for improving relationships with India as well

my main success stories have been with ( ASX-listed ) stocks operating in Indonesia and Singapore , not so great with the Philippines , Thailand and Vietnam , but local direct news might be a big aid into investing research , for you

am interested in a stock mostly operating in Malaysia ( where i am tempted to go for a second ride ) but if i were in Thailand investing i would be looking at stocks trading mostly with other Asian nations ( rather than the Western ones )

PS , i consider India , Pakistan and Bangladesh ( and Sri Lanka ) as part of Asia

Geopolitics should be great for Thailand on a medium term, more diversified than australia.maybe go long for a local index etf and enjoy life/work

I think it's about to move again. It's a popular place that gets along with most nations. Generally you get spikes during tourism spending. The rates cuts will most likely see the market move again.

My son is currently over there training and is going to fight in a couple of weeks. It's the wet season and sees a lot of Asian tourists. Property is what is really starting to move.

I'm actually thinking of moving there for a bit. It's a real world hub of interesting characters.