Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Opportunities in ASX That Are Worth Pursuing

Reactions
I'm a dual citizen of Oz/USA living in US now. I already have a large US focused portfolio in the US but I have some funds in Australia (from a rental property sale) that I'd like to deploy.

I could of course buy US/Global focused ETFs (which another thread talks about) according to my AA. But I'd like to know if there are ETFs I can purchase on the ASX are worth considering (or aren't they). I don't really have time to monitor individual stocks on the ASX so ETFs/MF are preferred.

At the heart of this question, I guess, is the point, "Is any sector in the OZ stock market likely to outperform VTI (Vanguard's total US market fund)?"

ASX is banks plus miners, is quoted in AUD and subject to Australian taxation..
That's a lot of factors to take into account for you, and all sectors here can be accessed on the us stock exchange, with lower fees and taxes
We can not give financial advice here but as a dual national, I know I aim at simplicity and did not want to have to fill multiple tax returns or have to pay taxes everywhere so brought back all assets in one country.
Obviously your situation may be different etc
I know it goes not really help with your question but this is needed to be taken into account imho

I'm a dual citizen of Oz/USA living in US now. I already have a large US focused portfolio in the US but I have some funds in Australia (from a rental property sale) that I'd like to deploy.

I could of course buy US/Global focused ETFs (which another thread talks about) according to my AA. But I'd like to know if there are ETFs I can purchase on the ASX are worth considering (or aren't they). I don't really have time to monitor individual stocks on the ASX so ETFs/MF are preferred.

At the heart of this question, I guess, is the point, "Is any sector in the OZ stock market likely to outperform VTI (Vanguard's total US market fund)?"
since you seem to have a Vanguard account , i found VHY was a nice little vehicle when DRPed while VAS had better capital gains over the last 10 or so years the lower capital gains but solid divs in VHY converted into more shares ( and franking credits which might still be useful to you )

currently i hold VAS ( basically the DRP profits running ) while i have exited VHY

gee Oz sectors liable to out-perform ( VTI ) that would be an incredible crystal ball to answer that

the BIG miners should be nearing the end of the super-cycle soon , but will they ?
real-estate/property should be sagging under higher interest fears , and will the Oz government actually back-stop our banking sector ( more than Kevin Rudd's bank deposit guarantee )

the big food retailers haven't been doing well recently ( one due to management issues and the other because it has been divested from it's investor/savior )

healthcare may have promise but that will be uneven but some big names have better battered lately ( so have the potential to recover over time )

oil/gas ... will the climate agenda be reached or abandoned

I believe you may be referring to VTS, which is Vanguard's total US market offered on the ASX. Is VTI the US version?

I know of a couple of investors who take the approach of holding VTS and VEU (total world ex-US which provides some exposure to OZ.) I cannot recall the last time they even spoke about the market (I rarely do either.) They simply chug on and ignore what they view as the white noise.

I am attaching the link to the ASX product list of ETFs. Plenty to choose from.

I wont suggest any particular ETF as my bias will get in the way.