• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

NBN v ADSL

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by McLovin, Apr 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DB008

DB008

Are you saying that the copper line is 10km and your getting 19megs?

2. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Thanks again. I checked availability and I can't get it, so it looks like I'm stuck with Telstra.

3. ROE

ROE

Funny iinet own fibre network is faster than NBN
    I am with iinet, I get faster connection than most of my nbn mates, cheaper monthly cost and unlimited data

4. ROE

ROE

I highly doubt it, best ADSL technology is ADSL2+ and it has absolute max speed at 24mbit
    and that you pretty much sit next to the exchange with little interferences, as far as I know most can't get anywhere near 24mbit even next to the exchange.

I used to be on ADSL2+ and 3 click from the exchange and get like 15mbit max ever

5. DB008

DB008

Yeah, thats what l'm trying to figure out. l'm almost 5km from my exchange, thats pretty much as far as copper will go ADSL2 (so l've been told)

6. bellenuit

bellenuit

I never had a need to complain about my network speed. I am on a Telstra/Foxtel cable connection. I just tested and got 36Mbps. I am very happy with that so I'm not looking forward to going on the NBN next year when our area is scheduled to upgrade.

7. Bill M

Bill M Self Funded Retiree

Hi, my case is not for the HFC cable but if I were you I would investigate further before I make the decision.

I have had 2 premises in NSW now connected to the NBN. The first was from ADSL 2+ to FTTN. It was a good move. It is faster, cheaper and I got the unlimited downloads option on a 25/5 Plan (better than any ADSL).

Then I moved and now I have FTTP installed. Again on the 25/5 Plan and unlimited.

There were a lot of rumors around about certain companies not buying enough bandwidth to offer a decent service and others saying that the NBN is slower than ADSL. In my case it was all false information and I am glad I proceeded with getting connected to the NBN. The other poster who said eventually you will be forced off the traditional phone line is correct. When that happens there could be a rush to get NBN services connected (delays, stuff ups) so if you take that route maybe do it before shut down day. Up to you how you handle it but for this NBN user I am very happy.

8. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

Yes obviously it's ADSL2+ and don't doubt it. I have a dedicated line to the nearest exchange, which most people do not.

Come on guys get clued up on what is and what will be. It's you money being wasted.

9. Logique

Logique Investor

As has been said, after 18 months you are forced onto NBN anyway.

I think NBN Co's expected saving within the FTTNode option - is that not all copper lines will need replacement, just the ancient run down ones.

Btw can anyone suggest a good NBN Router, or should I just accept the one suggested by NBN Co

10. Bill M

Bill M Self Funded Retiree

I take whatever the company I sign up with offers with their deal. That way they will support you if things stuff up. If you have a router of your choice they might not offer any support. Right now I have a Netcomm Wireless NF12 Router and it is excellent. Whatever they offer I take, as it is usually the best and latest gizmo, usually thrown in for a low fee or even for zero cost, cheers.