• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

NBN v ADSL

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by McLovin, Apr 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. McLovin

McLovin

My street is currently being rolled out to the NBN. We're getting HFC installed rather than utilising the existing copper wire, which I guess will be decommissioned at some point. I know some pretty senior network IT guys who all live locally and reckon that the HFC cable will be slower than ADSL currently is because it will be a shared cable back to the street box. At the moment on ADSL I get about 9-10mbps download and 600k upload. Upload doesn't really bother me, and the speed is fast enough for me to watch Netflix etc. So, my question is has anyone else made the jump to HFC NBN and if so how does the speed compare? If I can be reliably assured I will have similar speeds to what I have now, then I will make the change, but if it's just going to be congested then I'll try sticking with ADSL as long as I can.

TIA

2. Klogg

Klogg

The problem is, you don't know how you'll be impacted until most people make the move.

My godfather's house was running at great speeds (compared to previous connection) for the first six months (also on HFC from memory). But once the majority moved across it slowed down significantly.
    At times he only achieves about 10Mbps (sometimes even 5), even though he's paying for much more.

3. McLovin

McLovin

This is what I'm worried about. I know my neighbour will be switching over, we both live in old homes (1898 iirc) and his copper wiring is shot. He constantly has internet problems. I'm considering sticking with ADSL and then asking him in 12 months or so how the speeds are.

Also once you disconnect from the copper network there is no going back is there?

4. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

I was switched over to nbn from adsl and it is noticeably slower from day dot.

5. Klogg

Klogg

From what I understand, after 18months of NBN existing in the area, other methods of connection are de-activated. So you're forced to move after 1.5years regardless of speeds.
    This Telstra support thread seems to say the same:
    https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au...dsl-after-attempted-switch-to-nbn/td-p/547931

I couldn't find anything on reconnecting to ADSL once you've disconnected.

McLovin likes this.
  6. McLovin

McLovin

Oh well. I guess I'm moving to the NBN then!

Thanks for your replies, Klogg.

7. skc

skc Goldmember

Nice to see $40B tax payers' money well spent...:banghead:

Iggy_Pop likes this.
  8. McLovin

McLovin

Copper or HFC?

9. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Only exorbitantly priced Wireless in my area.

10. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

My NBN speed tests were much faster than the ADSL2 but the user experience was no different apart from a faster response time on the trading platform. I'm happy enough with the NBN - haven't copped any dropouts yet. ADSL had persistent reliability issues especially with the modems.

11. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

DOCSIS 3.1 is supposed to offer 100/40 speeds over the old coax lines Foxtel/Telstra and Optus installed. I can't say I have heard a good news story so far with HFC, which pretty much sums up the confidence interval many have for Heath Robinson network.

I was getting 30megs on on Foxtel line years ago, so what's changed?

12. McLovin

McLovin

I am left wondering, if you're going to run new HFC in to all the houses around here then why not just run fibre instead?

13. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

Because it was Labor's idea

So_Cynical likes this.
  14. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

I've installed plenty of cables, some comms as well as power, over the years in the course of my employment and one thing that's a constant is that with very few exceptions the cost of the actual cable is trivial compared to the total cost of the job.

What costs money is digging things up, reinstating paved or concrete surfaces, labour to get the cables into either new or existing conduits, labour to connect it up and so on. Cost of the cable itself is just one of the many costs of getting it in and working.

Choosing to re-use an existing copper network is arguable on the basis of cost versus technical aspects given that it already exists. Installing something brand new that isn't what's really needed is just pure madness however since minimal value will be recovered when the inevitable upgrade is required whenever.

So yes, it's politics. Simple as that unfortunately. One side wanted to do it one way, they're not in government, so we have to do it a different way instead.

15. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

Some people got Fibre :) that money was well spent.

16. DB008

DB008

I'm in exactly the same boat McLovin.

HFC rollout in 1 - 2 months. l will more than likely move over to NBN as soon as its in because my current ADSL is about 4.5km from the exchange resulting in very slow internet.

Please keep us posted McLovin

17. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

My ADSL is 10 clicks away and I'm getting 19megs at the moment. You will be having slow service because you are being multiplexed on a party RIM rather than your own DSlam. Telstra are basically using the same method for HFC which is why it will slow as more users start sharing the community termination system at the aggregation node.

18. Junior

Junior

Hi SirRumpole, have you looked at Optus 4g home wireless? If you are near enough to a tower with 2300Mhz coverage you get reliable speeds of 12Mbps (you can check this online). Not amazing, but fast enough for HD streaming. Cost is $80 per month with a $20/mth discount if you have any optus services.

19. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Hi and thanks Junior.

I'm paying $55 pm with Telstra but the data limit is only 8Gb, with $10 per Gb after that and the data limit is the real hassle. I get very envious when I see adsl advertised as no limit for $60 pm or whatever but that is not available to me as my phone lines are what is called "pair gain" and so won't take the traffic and NBN certainly won't be laying any fibre in my area.

20. Junior

Junior

That optus deal is 200GB. The question is what 4G speeds they offer in your area, if you are rural it may be a challenge.